PDA

View Full Version : Navy rescues Capt....

Silver
04-12-2009, 02:54 PM
How sweet......

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D97H45GO1&show_article=1

Obama praised the captain for his bravery and courage. The president also said the United States needs help from other countries to deal with the threat of piracy and to hold pirates accountable.

WASHINGTON (AP)—President Barack Obama says the captain who survived capture by Somali pirates has courage that is "a model for all Americans."

Obama says he is proud of the U.S. military and other agencies that worked to free Phillips. The president says the United States needs help from other countries to deal with the threat of piracy and to hold pirates accountable.

The president praised Phillips for his bravery, courage and selfless concern for his crew.

And to show his deep appreciation for rescuing the Capt. and showing courage and expertise in military operations of this kind...The Chosen One will reward them with a 10% budget cut for next year....what a CIC....

Friday, January 30, 2009
http://tinyurl.com/ad7bj8

The Obama administration has asked the military's Joint Chiefs of Staff to cut the Pentagon's budget request for the fiscal year 2010 by more than 10 percent -- about $55 billion -- a senior U.S. defense official tells FOX News.

Kathianne
04-12-2009, 03:02 PM
another thread ban for Jagger. One more, I'll just ban you.

AlbumAddict
04-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Of course he's happy about it. He didn't have to make any kind of decision that might have led to losing some of his fan base or killing an innocent American. Good thing the captain had guts, because I'm not so sure our CIC does.

April15
04-12-2009, 03:26 PM
How sweet......

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D97H45GO1&show_article=1

Obama praised the captain for his bravery and courage. The president also said the United States needs help from other countries to deal with the threat of piracy and to hold pirates accountable.

WASHINGTON (AP)—President Barack Obama says the captain who survived capture by Somali pirates has courage that is "a model for all Americans."

Obama says he is proud of the U.S. military and other agencies that worked to free Phillips. The president says the United States needs help from other countries to deal with the threat of piracy and to hold pirates accountable.

The president praised Phillips for his bravery, courage and selfless concern for his crew.

Very nice. Now we need to start blowing the pirates out of the water on sight.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 03:27 PM

Hell is freezing over right now. You finally posted something I agree with

April15
04-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Hell is freezing over right now. You finally posted something I agree withSorry it was totally unintentional!

red states rule
04-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Sorry it was totally unintentional!

April, even a broken clock is correct every 12 hours. You have had your first one for the day

Little-Acorn
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Kudoes to President Obama for authorizing this direct action instead of waiting for some World Court or United nations groups to do nothing. Obama did the right thing!

The only bad news is (well, aside from the coming military cuts):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy

(snip)

U.S. officials said a pirate who had been involved in negotiations to free Phillips but who was not on the lifeboat during the rescue was in military custody. FBI spokesman John Miller said that would change as the situation became "more of a criminal issue than a military issue."

(snip)

Yep, soon these pirates will be extended the full protection of the U.S court system... including the right to privacy, the right to be free from arrest until and unless U.S. officials present evidence of probable cause to believe a U.S. law has been violated and obtain a warrant signed by a judge. And the U.S. military (if they go after pirates at all in the future) will be restricted from using "unreasonable force" in the "apprehension" of pirates, stopping their boats on the high seas, etc. In other words, sinking their asses will be out.

These pirates will also be allowed to confront the witnesses against them... which means they will be able to have the sailors taken off the ship(s) that got them, transported halfway around the world to whatever U.S. court they're being tried in, and question those sailors (including ship's captains and commanders) as to the appropriateness of their actions, as though the U.S. sailors were on trial.

Yeah, I can hardly wait to serve in a military where the enemy I'm ordered to shoot at, can do that every time I try.

The good news is, we didn't have to fight WWII that way, so the bad guys didn't win that one.

Mr. P
04-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Navy rescues Capt....

Excellent! :salute:

crin63
04-12-2009, 04:34 PM

I agree completely. Well done!

I'd rep you if it weren't for the sarcasm.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Of course he's happy about it. He didn't have to make any kind of decision that might have led to losing some of his fan base or killing an innocent American. Good thing the captain had guts, because I'm not so sure our CIC does.

How about coming out and saying SOMETHING to the American people verses sitting there for four now five days without saying NOTHING. It was him not responding that pissed people off.

The libs bitched about President Bush sitting there for 7 minutes on 9/11 and GObama! the idiot says absolutely NOTHING for five days and that is suppose to be okay?

glockmail
04-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Kudoes to President Obama for authorizing this direct action instead of waiting for some World Court or United nations groups to do nothing. Obama did the right thing!.... Of course, the vessel would never had been boarded if the crew was allowed to carry guns. :poke:

AlbumAddict
04-12-2009, 08:09 PM
How about coming out and saying SOMETHING to the American people verses sitting there for four now five days without saying NOTHING. It was him not responding that pissed people off.

The libs bitched about President Bush sitting there for 7 minutes on 9/11 and GObama! the idiot says absolutely NOTHING for five days and that is suppose to be okay?

I started a thread on this EXACT point...I'm still pissed about it...not one word of support for the family...nothing. And people say republicans are cold hearted and don't care about people?!

Silver
04-12-2009, 08:30 PM
LittleAcorn....says

Kudoes to President Obama for authorizing this direct action instead of waiting for some World Court or United nations groups to do nothing. Obama did the right thing!
=====

I was waiting for some other comments on Obama "authorizing" this action...
and patting him on the back for such wonderful leadership....

Heres the problem....

Why...why the fuck would the US Navy even require getting 'permission' to act against these assholes in the first place...??
They attacked a US ship on the high seas....
We can't unilaterally defend ourselves when attacked? We need presidential permission?

Thats unbelievable? WTF has become of this country?

moderate democrat
04-12-2009, 08:38 PM
the world should quickly set up an exclusionary zone on the east coast of Africa and require all merchant vessels to file their planned tracks through the zone and have those transits approved prior to entry. Any vessel regardless of how small without an approved transit should be boarded or sunk. period. A handful of satellites and a dozen destroyers from every seagoing nation could enforce the exclusionary zone rather easily. The first five or six pirate vessels that are blown out of the water with naval gunfire would slow the attempts at piracy down to nothing rather rapidly.

sgtdmski
04-13-2009, 02:16 AM
I think that the US and other nations should use their navies and hunt down the pirates. They are nothing more than criminals that seek to take advantage of others through the use of force. Well if they seek to use force then we should respond to them with force.

dmk

glockmail
04-13-2009, 08:59 AM
the world should quickly set up an exclusionary zone on the east coast of Africa and require all merchant vessels to file their planned tracks through the zone and have those transits approved prior to entry. Any vessel regardless of how small without an approved transit should be boarded or sunk. period. A handful of satellites and a dozen destroyers from every seagoing nation could enforce the exclusionary zone rather easily. The first five or six pirate vessels that are blown out of the water with naval gunfire would slow the attempts at piracy down to nothing rather rapidly.Not workable. Some private boat won't get the message and when sunk will be a huge problem. Besides the UN would never go for it.

red states rule
04-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Not workable. Some private boat won't get the message and when sunk will be a huge problem. Besides the UN would never go for it.

We can't have a war on piracy

No, it will be something like "On the Ocean Contingency Operation"

moderate democrat
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
We can't have a war on piracy

No, it will be something like "On the Ocean Contingency Operation"

"Any vessel regardless of how small without an approved transit should be boarded or sunk. period."

Existing maritime law already allows such operations.

glockmail
04-13-2009, 11:50 AM
"Any vessel regardless of how small without an approved transit should be boarded or sunk. period."

Existing maritime law already allows such operations. You obviously have no naval experience. :lame2:

emmett
04-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Trying to find the solution to this ongoing problem will have to involve some change of some kind. Fact is we did what we had to do and the job is done. Had it been orchestrated by a republican the righties would be on here bragging about how silence is golden in this regard and how the press needs to be kept out of these things. The fact that Obama siad nothing was obviously indictative of his intention to do something stealthy to rectify the situation. We did it! The captain is safe and the perps are neutralized. I would thought a statement to the public to be prudent however as long as the objective was acheived I see armchair strategy as moot!

At least he didn't employ the wrong crew for the job like Carter did in Iran.

Kathianne
04-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Trying to find the solution to this ongoing problem will have to involve some change of some kind. Fact is we did what we had to do and the job is done. Had it been orchestrated by a republican the righties would be on here bragging about how silence is golden in this regard and how the press needs to be kept out of these things. The fact that Obama siad nothing was obviously indictative of his intention to do something stealthy to rectify the situation. We did it! The captain is safe and the perps are neutralized. I would thought a statement to the public to be prudent however as long as the objective was acheived I see armchair strategy as moot!

My point, exactly! :beer:

moderate democrat
04-13-2009, 12:13 PM

I agree... I think it was an excellent end result... and I would hope that these incidents get the international community to come together on this issue and more vigorously enforce maritime law regarding piracy.

emmett
04-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Actually, the rules are fine right now. I like the conclusion. Four SEALS came together, executed a perfectly orchestrated plan and wa-lah.....resolution! The pirates played their hand, we called it. We went all in and won.

I don't see any attempts to pirate American ships happening anytime soon. If so, our precedent is set. We will kill the pirates and recover our folks. That is the mindset of the entire world right now and I like it. Obviously the administration proved they could at least pull off a simple operation like this.....that's a start as it applies to defense of Americans abroad. I had my fingers crossed that they would do exactly as they did.

Silver
04-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Actually, the rules are fine right now. I like the conclusion. Four SEALS came together, executed a perfectly orchestrated plan and wa-lah.....resolution! The pirates played their hand, we called it. We went all in and won.

I don't see any attempts to pirate American ships happening anytime soon. If so, our precedent is set. We will kill the pirates and recover our folks. That is the mindset of the entire world right now and I like it. Obviously the administration proved they could at least pull off a simple operation like this.....that's a start as it applies to defense of Americans abroad. I had my fingers crossed that they would do exactly as they did.

a perfectly orchestrated plan ...absolutely...

but your mis-leading crack about the plan being orchestrated by a Republican, etc....is strawman crap...

The plan was not orchestrated by a Democrat or a Republican, but by the US NAVY....I would have given Bush no credit nor do I give Obama credit for the planning and work done by others.....

Obviously the administration proved they could at least pull off a simple operation like this...

This is more mis-leading crap....the "administration" didn't pull off any operation...
the administration gave its permission to carry out a rescue operation by the US Navy Seals....and I question even this...why the hell our Navy should even require permission to rescue a US vessel and a kidnapped ships Capt. attacked on the high seas....it should be a given that they not only don't need permission, but they have a duty to act in defense of any US ship attacked on the high seas as conditions merit....

Kathianne
04-13-2009, 02:56 PM

but your mis-leading crack about the plan being orchestrated by a Republican, etc....is strawman crap...

The plan was not orchestrated by a Democrat or a Republican, but by the US NAVY....I would have given Bush no credit nor do I give Obama credit for the planning and work done by others.....

Obviously the administration proved they could at least pull off a simple operation like this...

This is more mis-leading crap....the "administration" didn't pull off any operation...
the administration gave its permission to carry out a rescue operation by the US Navy Seals....and I question even this...why the hell our Navy should even require permission to rescue a US vessel and a kidnapped ships Capt. attacked on the high seas....it should be a given that they not only don't need permission, but they have a duty to act in defense of any US ship attacked on the high seas as conditions merit....

Agreed. The best that can be said is that they didn't call for 'no lethal force' or a total stand down.

Silver
04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Now we see this news.....
============

U.S. Military Considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=aYhvgOfyTmYA
By Jeff Bliss
Enlarge Image/Details

April 13 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. military is considering attacks on pirate bases on land and aid for the Somali people to help stem ship hijackings off Africa’s east coast, defense officials said.

The military also is drawing up proposals to aid the fledgling Somalia government to train security forces and develop its own coast guard, said the officials, who requested anonymity. The plans will be presented to the Obama administration as it considers a coordinated U.S. government and international response to piracy, the officials said.

The effort follows the freeing yesterday of Richard Phillips, a U.S. cargo ship captain held hostage since April 8 by Somali pirates. Security analysts said making shipping lanes safe would require disrupting the pirates’ support network on land.
===============

This should read.."Obama Administration Considers U.S. Military Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases..

THIS is where a President MUST give the military permission to act...inside another countrys borders....THIS is where the military can not and must not be the decision maker and take hostile action ....

Kathianne
04-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Being so politically correct comes naturally to me. Let's indeed make this international. US takes out pirate strongholds via Marines. Rest of world, ie international community deals with Somalia, regarding feeding and setting up a government. Our part: about a month, theirs, without end.

emmett
04-13-2009, 05:23 PM

The "crack" you are referring to, was a statement. Maybe to be "politically correct" I should have said something worded differently.

I agree that "permisson" to react should not have been necessary. However...it was and I am glad it was given because frankly I was worried that it would not be. For this I am complimenting them. That is what people with no "biused" opinion do. Never mind...I realize you don't get that one.

PS...I was in the Navy and am proud that our Teams were a part of it. That is why I made the "crack" about that.

As for the republican "crack", I stand by it. Our politics have become so partisan that one can almost assure that anything done by the other side of any value will be met by some excuse, rhetoric or bull shit about how luck landed in their lap or something like that.

I also feel Democrats would have failed to give credit also.

I also feel your "crack" about my "crack" will lead to more "cracks". The actual "orchestration" of the mission I am sure was done by five to ten people. The four SEALS who carried it out and the Commanding officer who issued the assignment, while a few consultant experts may have been included. That is the way SEALS work. The orders may have been OKed from the top, but the orchestration was completely controlled by the Team.

My point about the rest was simply the way we all wanted to start on Obama for not addressing the public. I agreed with AA's initial point myself. I said also in the previous post that it would have been prudent to say "something". After learning that a US Navy SEAL Team was assigned its conclude, I now know why the President was undoubtedly asked "NOT" to speak on it. Actually it explains it all. So...my statement should have read, "I'm glad the administration didn't fuck up the plan."

Is this explanation satisfactory or need i elaborate further? I assure you that due dilligence will be lent on my part to seeing that I do not blunder in such a manner again for fear that you will be anxious to correct or scold me. After all, I willingly admit to an inferior understanding of politics than yourself, business and certainly political correctness.

Kathianne
04-13-2009, 05:35 PM
The "crack" you are referring to, was a statement. Maybe to be "politically correct" I should have said something worded differently.

I agree that "permisson" to react should not have been necessary. However...it was and I am glad it was given because frankly I was worried that it would not be. For this I am complimenting them. That is what people with no "biused" opinion do. Never mind...I realize you don't get that one.

PS...I was in the Navy and am proud that our Teams were a part of it. That is why I made the "crack" about that.

As for the republican "crack", I stand by it. Our politics have become so partisan that one can almost assure that anything done by the other side of any value will be met by some excuse, rhetoric or bull shit about how luck landed in their lap or something like that.

I also feel Democrats would have failed to give credit also.

I also feel your "crack" about my "crack" will lead to more "cracks". The actual "orchestration" of the mission I am sure was done by five to ten people. The four SEALS who carried it out and the Commanding officer who issued the assignment, while a few consultant experts may have been included. That is the way SEALS work. The orders may have been OKed from the top, but the orchestration was completely controlled by the Team.

My point about the rest was simply the way we all wanted to start on Obama for not addressing the public. I agreed with AA's initial point myself. I said also in the previous post that it would have been prudent to say "something". After learning that a US Navy SEAL Team was assigned its conclude, I now know why the President was undoubtedly asked "NOT" to speak on it. Actually it explains it all. So...my statement should have read, "I'm glad the administration didn't fuck up the plan."

Is this explanation satisfactory or need i elaborate further? I assure you that due dilligence will be lent on my part to seeing that I do not blunder in such a manner again for fear that you will be anxious to correct or scold me. After all, I willingly admit to an inferior understanding of politics than yourself, business and certainly political correctness.

Your crack is cute. Nothing else. Carry on.

emmett
04-13-2009, 05:43 PM
10 Fo!

glockmail
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Your crack is cute. Nothing else. Carry on. Emmett I think she has the hots for you.

AlbumAddict
04-13-2009, 05:49 PM

I don't see any attempts to pirate American ships happening anytime soon. If so, our precedent is set. We will kill the pirates and recover our folks. That is the mindset of the entire world right now and I like it

I have to disagree. I don't think another situation will have the same outcome. I don't think people are giving enough credit for the success to Captain Phillips. The man jumped off the freaking raft TWICE! The first time we weren't ready and they caught him, the second time we were and voila. Unfortunately, I don't know that the next Americans taken hostage will have this man's courage. Without him removing himself from the craft, I don't know if it would've had the same happy ending.

emmett
04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I have to disagree. I don't think another situation will have the same outcome. I don't think people are giving enough credit for the success to Captain Phillips. The man jumped off the freaking raft TWICE! The first time we weren't ready and they caught him, the second time we were and voila. Unfortunately, I don't know that the next Americans taken hostage will have this man's courage. Without him removing himself from the craft, I don't know if it would've had the same happy ending.

It's fine that you disagree. As I indicated on another thread when I made specific reference to a post of yours. I agreed initially that Obama should have addressed us with something regarding this incident. I noe realize why he did not.

As for another incident. Who knows. I do know this, if we continue to allow the right people to handle these resolves, good! The captain was a feisty sort wasn't he? Hopefully there won't be another chance for some loony to orchestrate a piracy such as this. I rather think they will have a sour tast for dealing with SEAL Teams before too long.

AND..... had the Captain remained, there was no doubt a plan for dealing with that. The initial plan no doubt called for something with the understanding that he would probably be in the raft at the time of rescue. It went well, everything worked out well and a precedent has just been established for people who kidnap American Captains at sea. Only time will tell at this point whether it took.

emmett
04-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Emmett I think she has the hots for you.

Oooh..the thought of it!

Kathianne
04-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Emmett I think she has the hots for you.

But you don't KNOW, because I'm not knowable, at least yet. ;)

glockmail
04-13-2009, 06:49 PM
But you don't KNOW, because I'm not knowable, at least yet. ;) A man can never really know what's on a woman's mind. And I speak from 22 years of marriage experience. :laugh2:

Mr. P
04-13-2009, 07:05 PM
emmett! ...induction station...the old Sears building on ponce? That's where I "shipped out". You?

Kathianne
04-13-2009, 07:08 PM
A man can never really know what's on a woman's mind. And I speak from 22 years of marriage experience. :laugh2:

And vice versa. Glock, you're ok.

emmett
04-13-2009, 07:29 PM
emmett! ...induction station...the old Sears building on ponce? That's where I "shipped out". You?

That was a little before me P. I went to the Afees down on Peachtree. Enlisted at the navy recruiting office in Chamblee. Had some help from my probation officer. The old "either or" program. Remember?

Enlisted 25MAR76 (17th birthday)

Boot Camp Orlando.
A School in Millington, Tn.
SERE in San Diego
USS Ranger CV-61
VA-25 Lemoore Cal
6 month extension to get transferred to
Security Charleston, SC
USS Orion (sub tender) NAVSTACHAS

Walking papers 02OCT79

Mr. P
04-13-2009, 07:45 PM
That was a little before me P. I went to the Afees down on Peachtree. Enlisted at the navy recruiting office in Chamblee. Had some help from my probation officer. The old "either or" program. Remember?

Enlisted 25MAR76 (17th birthday)

Boot Camp Orlando.
A School in Millington, Tn.
SERE in San Diego
USS Ranger CV-61
VA-25 Lemoore Cal
6 month extension to get transferred to
Security Charleston, SC
USS Orion (sub tender) NAVSTACHAS

Walking papers 02OCT79

Oh yeah, I remember..came across several of those "either or" folks in my time..all good men too! I never had a problem with any of them.

emmett
04-13-2009, 10:38 PM
There are no words I could ever think of that could describe the debt of gratitude I feel I owe the US Navy for taking a juvenile delinquent little heathen and transforming him into something my grandma could be proud of.

I had a fairly unremarkable tour of duty. Got to do a West-Pac, travel allot and see allot. I'm thankful I wasn't a few years older for the obvious reasons.

Mr. P
04-13-2009, 10:52 PM
There are no words I could ever think of that could describe the debt of gratitude I feel I owe the US Navy for taking a juvenile delinquent little heathen and transforming him into something my grandma could be proud of.

I had a fairly unremarkable tour of duty. Got to do a West-Pac, travel allot and see allot. I'm thankful I wasn't a few years older for the obvious reasons.

That's pretty much what I heard from all the guys I talked with...:salute:

red states rule
04-14-2009, 06:26 AM
It's fine that you disagree. As I indicated on another thread when I made specific reference to a post of yours. I agreed initially that Obama should have addressed us with something regarding this incident. I noe realize why he did not.

As for another incident. Who knows. I do know this, if we continue to allow the right people to handle these resolves, good! The captain was a feisty sort wasn't he? Hopefully there won't be another chance for some loony to orchestrate a piracy such as this. I rather think they will have a sour tast for dealing with SEAL Teams before too long.

AND..... had the Captain remained, there was no doubt a plan for dealing with that. The initial plan no doubt called for something with the understanding that he would probably be in the raft at the time of rescue. It went well, everything worked out well and a precedent has just been established for people who kidnap American Captains at sea. Only time will tell at this point whether it took.

The US military did their job as they usually do. They deserve all the credit

At least Obama did not screw it up by trying to run the operation. Giving Obama credit for the success of the operation is like giving the paper boy credit for delivering the paper

PostmodernProphet
04-14-2009, 06:41 AM
Your crack is cute. Nothing else. Carry on.

no plumber jokes.....

crin63
04-14-2009, 09:44 AM
All the first articles that came out said that the decision to take out the pirates was from the on-scene commander and that it was a standing authorization from the previous administration. That Obama had nothing to do with any of it other than he didn't interfere.

glockmail
04-14-2009, 11:02 AM
All the first articles that came out said that the decision to take out the pirates was from the on-scene commander and that it was a standing authorization from the previous administration. That Obama had nothing to do with any of it other than he didn't interfere. That was my guess.