PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Users Get Worse Grades In College

Psychoblues
04-14-2009, 12:10 AM
They're usually conservatives without many friends but the article doesn't make that explicitly clear?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?

Jeremy Hsu
Staff Writer

Facebook users have lower overall grades than non-users, according to a survey of college students who also ironically said the social networking site does not interfere with studying.

That disconnect between perception and reality does not necessarily mean that Facebook leads to less studying and worse grades -- the grades association could be caused by something else. However, it does raise more questions about how students spend their time outside class on activities such as Facebook, part-time jobs and extracurricular activities.

"I'm just saying that there's some kind of relationship there, and there's many third variables that need to be studied," said Aryn Karpinski, an education researcher at Ohio State University.

Her study found that Facebook user GPAs were in the 3.0 to 3.5 range on average, compared to 3.5 to 4.0 for non-users. Facebook users also studied anywhere from one to five hours per week, compared to non-users who studied 11 to 15 or more hours per week.

However, Karpinski emphasized that correlation does not equal causation, meaning Facebook use might not be the culprit behind lower GPAs or less study time.

For instance, students who spend more time enjoying themselves rather than studying might tend to latch onto the nearest distraction, such as Facebook. Or students who use the social networking site might also spend more time on other non-studying activities such as sports or music.

The study did show that students who work more hours at jobs spend less time on Facebook, while students involved in more extracurricular activities were also more likely to use Facebook.

Such results may help Karpinski and other researchers better understand the profile of the average user on the popular social networking site. Early findings show that over 85 percent of undergrads use Facebook, compared to 52 percent of grad students.

Karpinski herself does not use Facebook, although her coauthor does. She expressed some bemusement over how quickly students rose to the defense of their online activities, even though she took care not to introduce a positive or negative bias into her survey questions.

"They're very territorial about their Facebook," Karpinski told LiveScience.

The research will be presented at the annual meeting of the American Education Research Association on April 16.

Facebook Profiles Out Narcissists
10 Technologies That Will Transform Your Life
Online Dating: Why It Fails
Original Story: Facebook Users Get Worse Grades in College
LiveScience.com chronicles the daily advances and innovations made in science and technology. We take on the misconceptions that often pop up around scientific discoveries and deliver short, provocative explanations with a certain wit and style. Check out our science videos, Trivia & Quizzes and Top 10s. Join our community to debate hot-button issues like stem cells, climate change and evolution. You can also sign up for free newsletters, register for RSS feeds and get cool gadgets at the LiveScience Store.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090413/sc_livescience/facebookusersgetworsegradesincollege

crin63
04-14-2009, 12:15 AM
If its conservative students its because they are out working to pay for college and not living off the state.

Psychoblues
04-14-2009, 12:20 AM
And "if" my aunt had balls she would be my uncle, correct?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

If its conservative students its because they are out working to pay for college and not living off the state.

crin63
04-14-2009, 01:15 AM
They're usually conservatives without many friends but the article doesn't make that explicitly clear?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?

The article doesn't make that explicitly clear because the article doesn't say anything about it at all.
Actually the article must have been in reference to Liberal students since it mentioned a disconnect from reality.

Psychoblues
04-14-2009, 01:19 AM
And "since" you also admit a disconnect I suppose you have excuses other than what you have mentioned so far, cr?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!

The article doesn't make that explicitly clear because the article doesn't say anything about it at all.
Actually the article must have been in reference to Liberal students since it mentioned a disconnect from reality.

I now distrust your claim to ignorance and inability to discern nuance, cr. Perhaps I've been a bit hasty?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

PostmodernProphet
04-14-2009, 06:46 AM
They're usually conservatives

illogical....anyone in college who is already a conservative is likely a 4.0 student.......

crin63
04-14-2009, 09:18 AM
And "since" you also admit a disconnect I suppose you have excuses other than what you have mentioned so far, cr?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!
I now distrust your claim to ignorance and inability to discern nuance, cr. Perhaps I've been a bit hasty?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Dave, your conclusion was so far afield that anyone could see it was just another lame attempt to slander Conservatives. There was no need to pick up on nuances and I just happen to find a realist description of Liberals in the article.

I know several Conservative students that are above a 3.5 gpa and most of them work to pay for college. Most or all of them are also on facebook or myspace. Its the gamers that have a problem not the social networking students.

Trigg
04-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Gee, and here I thought bambam won the college votes pretty much overwhelmingly........woudn't that make them libs?????????

Psychoblues
04-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I am a 3.9 college student, cr. But that was years ago!!!!!!!!!!

Dave, your conclusion was so far afield that anyone could see it was just another lame attempt to slander Conservatives. There was no need to pick up on nuances and I just happen to find a realist description of Liberals in the article.

I know several Conservative students that are above a 3.5 gpa and most of them work to pay for college. Most or all of them are also on facebook or myspace. Its the gamers that have a problem not the social networking students.

crin63
04-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I am a 3.9 college student, cr. But that was years ago!!!!!!!!!!

Yes but that was when you were reportedly a conservative. :poke:

Psychoblues
04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
?

Yes but that was when you were reportedly a conservative. :poke:

I tended towards fiscal resposibilities then, cr. Hell,,,,,,,I was married with 3 kids!!!!!!!!!!! But, I have never identified myself with any political meaning of conservatism and I don't think the meaning is being properly presented even at this point in time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!