PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Counting Our Sins, Even When Not Sins

Kathianne
04-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Links at site

Hating America:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/04/barack-obama-gun.html

Barack Obama way wrong on U.S. guns in Mexico--FactCheck.org

On his recently concluded first visit to Mexico as president, a week after telling Europeans that his country had been at times arrogant, President Barack Obama blamed his own country for providing 90% of Mexico's recovered crime guns.

According to a report by the independent FactCheck.org this afternoon, that's incorrect. By a, uh, long shot.

The president's assertion, also cited by Mexican President Felipe Calderon during their joint news conference in Mexico City, and the reported inaccuracy seems likely to fuel the eternal American gun-control debate, especially as it relates to the U.S. role in Mexico's deadly drug world.

Here's the FactCheck full summary:

There's no dispute that thousands of handguns, military-style rifles and other firearms are purchased in the U.S. and end up in the hands of Mexican criminals each year. It's relatively easy to buy such guns legally in Texas and other border states and to smuggle them across.

But is it true as President Obama said, that "more than 90 percent of the guns recovered in Mexico come from the United States?" No, it's not....

sgtdmski
04-18-2009, 03:43 PM
I think that is a total farce. I watched the report and many of the weapons show were the AR-15 and M-4s that were fully automatic. You cannot by one of those in this country, our AR-15s and M-4s are semi-automatic. Right there that should be a dead giveaway. But since when does the truth ever matter when it comes to arguing about guns in this country.

dmk

Kathianne
04-18-2009, 04:18 PM
I think that is a total farce. I watched the report and many of the weapons show were the AR-15 and M-4s that were fully automatic. You cannot by one of those in this country, our AR-15s and M-4s are semi-automatic. Right there that should be a dead giveaway. But since when does the truth ever matter when it comes to arguing about guns in this country.

dmk

Ummm, that is what was said...

Jeff
04-18-2009, 06:19 PM
First off it is a lot easier to buy illegal guns than it is to buy legal guns here in the U.S.

I was in Laredo about a month ago and they had the biggest bust on illegal guns going from the U.S. to Mexico, I was about 2 miles from the international bridge when it happened, of course no one there speaks English but the people working at the warehouse I was picking up at were listening on scanners and gave me up dates as to what was going on, needless to say I was happy to get on out of there.