PDA

View Full Version : False advertising????

Mr. P
04-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Not in my opinion!

I just heard this on the radio news so no links etc..

Kellogg has settled a false advertising suit.

Apparently the ad claimed that "kids that eat mini wheat's are more attentive than kids that don't eat breakfast".

Now WTF is false in that? We all know that kids that eat breakfast are more attentive than those who don't.

Gawd this country is going to hell fast!!!!

Kathianne
04-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Not in my opinion!

I just heard this on the radio news so no links etc..

Kellogg has settled a false advertising suit.

Apparently the ad claimed that "kids that eat mini wheat's are more attentive than kids that don't eat breakfast".

Now WTF is false in that? We all know that kids that eat breakfast are more attentive than those who don't.

Gawd this country is going to hell fast!!!!

Here's a link. I'm not sure about the ads, seems I'd agree with you about breakfast, maybe there was implication that Mini-Wheats were better than other breakfast food?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aEGbonIHi8SY&refer=us

Kellogg Settles U.S. False Ad Charge for Kids’ Cereal (Update3)
Share | Email | Print | A A A

By James Rowley

April 20 (Bloomberg) -- Kellogg Co., the world’s largest cereal maker, agreed to settle U.S. Federal Trade Commission charges that it falsely claimed Frosted Mini-Wheats improve children’s attentiveness.

The Federal Trade Commission said the settlement bars Kellogg, based in Battle Creek, Michigan, from making unsubstantiated health claims about Frosted-Mini Wheats or other products. The company agreed not to misrepresent the results of scientific tests, the FTC statement said.

The FTC said that in ads and on packaging Kellogg claimed the attentiveness of children who ate Frosted Mini-Wheats at breakfast increased by almost 20 percent. The FTC said the clinical study Kellogg cited in the ads found that only half the children who ate the cereal showed any improvement in their attentiveness.

“It’s especially important that America’s leading companies are more ‘attentive’ to the truthfulness of their ads and don’t exaggerate the results of tests or research,” FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz said in a statement.

“We stand behind the validity of our clinical study, yet have adjusted our communication to incorporate FTC’s guidance,” Kellogg said in a statement..... Links at site.

emmett
04-20-2009, 08:35 PM
So in essence every company that has ever made a claim that their product is "better" than someone elses should be held liable.......do I have this correct?

What the hell is the point of advertising? Frankly I think Mini-Wheats are better than other breakfast cereals. Been a fan of them for years. I like that my strawberries can rest on top of them and don't get down in the milk. WTF. Other people might have their reasons for liking one particular product too.

How about when a carmaker says their car is better than another? A face cream?

Advertising is what it is. We all know when we see an ad that the company is trying to sell us something. This kind of stuff insults our intelligence to think that a court has to protect us from ourselves.