PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Christian or a Follower of Christ?

04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
An interesting new article:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/188198

Now, as the Christian world continues to refine its identity, another label is gaining currency: "follower of Jesus." It is gaining among the young. On Facebook, more than 900 groups use some variation of "follower of Jesus." The tag is also popular among people in the so-called fellowship movement—small, collegial groups that regularly meet for ecumenical prayer. (The weekly prayer breakfasts in Washington—one for senators, another for members of the House—are the most prominent example, but such fellowships are common at corporations too.) "Follower of Jesus" has at least two advantages over "Christian" or "evangelical," its boosters say. First, it doesn't carry baggage. You can wear it abroad, in Islamic countries, or at home with your Jewish or Buddhist friends, without causing offense. Second, it distances the bearer from the culture wars that have made American politics so divisive. David Durenberger, the former Republican senator from Minnesota, puts it this way. "As my party in particular has begun to characterize its base as 'Christian' and to express its values as 'Christian' values … it has been really important to identify myself as a follower of Jesus." The syndicated columnist Cal Thomas adds that "follower of Jesus" has the virtue of reflecting biblical truth: the earliest Christians called themselves "followers of the Way."

While many Christians applaud this effort to transcend labels and history, some also worry that "follower of Jesus" diverts people from the fundamentals. "Two questions constantly come up," says Richard Mouw, president of Fuller Theological Seminary. "The first is Christology. What about the full divinity of Christ? How much can you keep that in the background? Second, what's the role of the church in all this?" Brehm admits, guiltily, that he left his longtime church five years ago and is still shopping. For the time being, he finds communion in regular meetings with fellow followers of Jesus: "That's real church." To accusations that he's letting identity politics overshadow Christian tradition, Brehm delivers what he believes to be his knockout punch: Jesus, after all, said, "Follow me."

Two questions really jump out for me here:

1)Why are people always trying to relabel themselves? Why are the ashamed of what they are?

2)Why do you want to keep the full divinity of Christ in background?

PostmodernProphet
04-21-2009, 09:51 PM
First, it doesn't carry baggage.

people should carry their own baggage.......

Yurt
04-21-2009, 09:59 PM

so that footprints in the sand saying where jesus carries us is bogus.....

crin63
04-21-2009, 10:30 PM
An interesting new article:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/188198

Two questions really jump out for me here:

1)Why are people always trying to relabel themselves? Why are the ashamed of what they are?

2)Why do you want to keep the full divinity of Christ in background?

I'm of the unpopular opinion that its all just a form rebellion, as in "no one is gonna tell me what to do". Theres no one to have to be accountable to. Just beebop around from group to group so no one confronts anyone else about their sin. That way there doesn't have to be any personal holiness, you just move on or make an agreement that if you ignore my sin, I'll ignore your sin. No need to actually use the Bible as your guide when you can just make it up as you go along.

Its the same reason people don't want the Apostle Paul in the Bible, they've already made up their minds how things should be and theres no sense feeling guilty about their worldview and sins.

PostmodernProphet
04-22-2009, 06:26 AM
so that footprints in the sand saying where jesus carries us is bogus.....

nice job of taking what I said somewhere it had no purpose in going......Jesus isn't responsible for the "baggage" we've attached to religion......the crap like "you aren't really saved if you haven't been baptized the right way"......"you can't be saved if you don't live your life the way WE want you to"......."you can't be saved if you have the wrong opinion regarding the millennium, or church hierarchy or women in office"........are we leading people to Christ or building a wall around him to keep people away?.......

we need to acknowledge that the Church has a lot of baggage.....we did a survey of our community.....20% were members of a Christian church.......20% were members of another religion or called themselves unbelievers in anything.....60% said they believed in God and considered Jesus their personal savior, but had no desire to attend any Christian church......

McLaren writes in one of his books of dealing with evangelism among people who say "I'm afraid to become a Christian, because I don't want to turn into one of those "born again"......

avatar asked, "why are they ashamed of what they are"......we need to acknowledge there is a whole lot for the Church to be ashamed of....and I'm not talking about what happened a thousand years ago, I'm talking about what is happening now......we need to shed that baggage on our own, not demand Jesus love us in spite of it......we need to spend more time on the first chapters of Revelation instead of the last chapters.......

Immanuel
04-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Pick up your cross and carry it.

Luke 14:27

Funny, how that passage discusses Christ's cross even before it was evident that he was going to die and how he would die, isn't it?

Immie

5stringJeff
04-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't have a problem with either term ("follower of Jesus" or "Christian"). I do have a problem with people who wring their hands over the "baggage" a term might carry. And frankly, the term 'Christian' is in the New Testament: "Make sure that none of you suffers as a murderer, or thief, or evildoer, or a troublesome meddler; but if anyone suffers as a Christian, he is not to be ashamed, but is to glorify God in this name." (1 Pet. 4:15-16) So I think I'll keep on refering to myself as a Christian, come what may.

Psychoblues
04-23-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't understand why you asked the question, a'21?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Obviously you have a purpose but following the teaching of the Christ is not quite it, don't you know?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Perhaps a good cleansing from the fearmongering, self loathing, societal hating and perpetual whining is in order?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! Huh?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Kathianne
04-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't understand why you asked the question, a'21?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Obviously you have a purpose but following the teaching of the Christ is not quite it, don't you know?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Perhaps a good cleansing from the fearmongering, self loathing, societal hating and perpetual whining is in order?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! Huh?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Huh? At least 4 posts before are not Avatar, yet you ignore all that come after? Could it be, you're trolling?

Psychoblues
04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
I was not addressing those posts, kitty. Are you going to get snippy tonight?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Huh? At least 4 posts before are not Avatar, yet you ignore all that come after? Could it be, you're trolling?

Can we not be so involved in all the prevalent fearmongering, self loathing and general anti-social bullshit as you tend to represent, kitty?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

April15
04-23-2009, 09:44 PM
I was an ordained minister many years ago, 40 or so. Currently I have only one faith and that is I will die.

Psychoblues
04-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Your faith is well founded, my brother.

I was an ordained minister many years ago, 40 or so. Currently I have only one faith and that is I will die.

What are we to do with the fearmongerers, self loathers, hate filled religious zealots, blind faithers?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!???!??

Can I get you some holy water?!?!???!??!??!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Kathianne
04-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I was not addressing those posts, kitty. Are you going to get snippy tonight?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Can we not be so involved in all the prevalent fearmongering, self loathing and general anti-social bullshit as you tend to represent, kitty?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Can you address the post?

Psychoblues
04-23-2009, 11:22 PM
I did. You must have missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you address the post?

Too many Cosmos's tonight?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues