PDA

View Full Version : Today Is Earth Day - Yay

red states rule
04-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Today is Earth Day. Just thought I'd ask the members here their plans are for this "occasion"?

I am sitting here with damn near every light on (unintentionally), typing on my computer, while the TV provides surround sound background noise.

I enjoy watching the "greenies" drop their trash on the ground while telling us how to "save the planet"

I would like to hear from both sides. Those who buy into this Earth Day stuff, and those (like myself) who feel it is just more fear mongering for profit. By that I mean raising awareness for technologies that are incapable of effectively replacing the ones we currently have, and making companies that produce those failed technologies richer.

red states rule
04-22-2009, 05:50 AM
65 miles? :eek: I don't have that much time. Unless I was heading west, that would be a 2 hour or more drive in our traffic.

Yep, 65 miles one way. The only good thing is I do not hit any rush hour traffic either way

But now I hit the night time road construction :rolleyes:

Kathianne
04-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Today is Earth Day. Just thought I'd ask the members here their plans are for this "occasion"?

I am sitting here with damn near every light on (unintentionally), typing on my computer, while the TV provides surround sound background noise.

I enjoy watching the "greenies" drop their trash on the ground while telling us how to "save the planet"

I would like to hear from both sides. Those who buy into this Earth Day stuff, and those (like myself) who feel it is just more fear mongering for profit. By that I mean raising awareness for technologies that are incapable of effectively replacing the ones we currently have, and making companies that produce those failed technologies richer.

Happy Earth Day! Gonna be leaving in a few for my 20+ mile ride to work. Seriously, unintentional distance.

red states rule
04-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Happy Earth Day! Gonna be leaving in a few for my 20+ mile ride to work. Seriously, unintentional distance.

I wish I had your drive Kat. Mine is 65 miles ONE WAY

I wonder how much pollution Obama, Gore, and other "greenies" are going to put into the environment using Air Force One, and private jets, on such a "special" day?

Kathianne
04-22-2009, 05:56 AM
I wish I had your drive Kat. Mine is 65 miles ONE WAY

I wonder how much pollution Obama, Gore, and other "greenies" are going to put into the environment using Air Force One, and private jets, on such a "special" day?

65 miles? :eek: I don't have that much time. Unless I was heading west, that would be a 2 hour or more drive in our traffic.

PostmodernProphet
04-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Earth Day is a good time to celebrate creation.......and praise the Creator.....

red states rule
04-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Earth Day is a good time to celebrate creation.......and praise the Creator.....

I agree with you

But today will be turned into a political photo op with "Global Warming" being the theme of the day

PostmodernProphet
04-22-2009, 06:52 AM
here's a non-political photo op.....

there is a protein in our bodies that is necessary for cell adhesion.....it's what keeps us together, so to speak.....it's called laminin.....and it's scientific model is this....

http://www.truthorfiction.com/images/laminin.jpg

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/l/laminin.htm

red states rule
04-22-2009, 06:56 AM
The left has started their Earth Day "news reports"

Climate Catastrophe? Here's What the U.S. Could Look Like in 2100

We can still turn it around, but here is the world our grandchildren will live in if we don't.

By Jean Weiss

http://blstb.msn.com/i/BE/D2FA0C5754D8CBE16139FF259948.jpg

You've been hearing about the negative impacts of global warming for years. Sometimes your friends nervously joke about it — "Could land in the Rocky Mountains become beachfront property?" Other times you read with worry the news about forest fires, hurricanes, droughts and heat waves. And you wonder, "Is climate disaster already upon us?"

Scientists say the answer is "yes." We are now experiencing the effects of human-caused climate change and, even if we drastically alter our polluting behavior today, we'll continue to see changes over the next two to three decades. This change is irreversible, and researchers predict it may be worse than the depressing situation Al Gore foretold in "An Inconvenient Truth."

"What happens in the next 20 or 30 years is largely already determined." says Kevin Tranberth, ScD, head of the Climate Analysis Section at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). "Carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere have already increased by more than 35 percent since pre-industrial times, owing to human activities. Over half of that increase has occurred since 1970."

Although this prognosis seems dire, there is hope. While we can't change the polluting that has already occurred, we can make changes now that will leave a cleaner world for our children and grandchildren. "One important message to convey is we can very much affect what happens 90 years from now by the decisions we make today," says Jim Hurrell, PhD, a senior atmospheric scientist with NCAR. Tranberth agrees. "If we act now, the benefit comes about 30 to 40 years from now," he says. "We can still have a big impact on what happens in the second half of this century."

But what happens if we don't act now? Here is how your part of the United States could be affected in the year 2100 if we don't turn this around.

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/living-green/staticslideshowgreenchan.aspx?cp-documentid=18995580&GT1=34129

Jeff
04-22-2009, 07:08 AM
I agree with you

But today will be turned into a political photo op with "Global Warming" being the theme of the day

Yea maybe Gore could go have a press conference out in Wyoming were they just received 42" of snow, just keeps getting warmer and warmer

red states rule
04-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Yea maybe Gore could go have a press conference out in Wyoming were they just received 42" of snow, just keeps getting warmer and warmer

http://earthday.net/footprint/

Since you are not rich enough to buy Carbon Credits to assist with Al Gore's Children's Futures, you should go to that site and feel the guilt you deserve and find out how badly you are RAPING Mother Earth. :laugh2:

Classact
04-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Man contributes 3.6% of all the CO 2 in the environment so I think we should protest nature for producing so much CO2. Maybe we could help nature out by restarting the smoke jumpers to put out forest fires? Maybe we could encourage Ax Men to clear forests of dead trees, make roads into forests so fire fighters could access fires quickly to extinguish fires that out produce man in CO2.

red states rule
04-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Man contributes 3.6% of all the CO 2 in the environment so I think we should protest nature for producing so much CO2. Maybe we could help nature out by restarting the smoke jumpers to put out forest fires? Maybe we could encourage Ax Men to clear forests of dead trees, make roads into forests so fire fighters could access fires quickly to extinguish fires that out produce man in CO2.

CA, I am celebrating Earth Day by continuing to reside on Earth, and live my life as normal.

I will most likely continue to exhale, releasing CO2 into the atmosphere to support the local plant life.

Classact
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
CA, I am celebrating Earth Day by continuing to reside on Earth, and live my life as normal.

I will most likely continue to exhale, releasing CO2 into the atmosphere to support the local plant life.No reason for guilt for breathing my wife has more than compensated buying roses that breath CO2 and exhale oxygen.

red states rule
04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
No reason for guilt for breathing my wife has more than compensated buying roses that breath CO2 and exhale oxygen.

I like to take my muffler off the car and then go to work :laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
People who should be targeted on Earth Day as enemies of the environment.....

#1 on the list should probably be Thomas Edison.....

he built the first coal fired electric generator......and if that wasn't bad enough, he also invented the notorius incandescent light bulb......certainly his grave should be defiled.....

Monkeybone
04-22-2009, 01:13 PM
ah.......Earth Day. The only day i litter and use an extra paper towel after i wash my hands.

Little-Acorn
04-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I took the cover off the pool, cleaned out all the "natural" junk, loaded it up with chemicals (algicides etc.) and fired up the heater. Water temp was up to 83 degrees F yesterday afternoon - time for a swim for me and my 10-year-old! Puts quite a dent in the utility bill, but it's worth it.

Later we'll fire up the charcoal grill and do hamburgers, steaks, and chicken. You haven't LIVED until you sample an Acornburger and tried my medium-rare steak with Acorn's special sauce (patent pending).

Happy Earth Day!

Kathianne
04-22-2009, 03:34 PM
School assembly this a.m., 9:30. Dr. Exhautus and Mr. Gluem & Mrs. Deum. Seriously. Even the kindergarden kids spew 'carbon dioxide' is wrecking the earth. One little kid said the 'earth will probably be dead before she's grown up.' In fairness to the presenter, he deviated and said, 'Actually the environment is in much better shape in the US than 40 years ago....' I think even he was a bit taken aback.

On the other side, the middle schoolers were polite but not buying into it. After the hour and 20 minute assembly, back in the classroom, they were discussing how the economy and terrorism are more important issues. They do believe in recycling, buying less, (though they buy more than a little, ;) ), and not tossing unwanted, but good items. They donate, etc. They are aware of wasting electricity, but think the hype that 'we're not doing anything to reverse a catastrophe' is overblown. Note: I do NOT teach science.

After a bit of their venting, we got back to watching the holocaust witness/remembrance project from Yale. One of my students had visited the Auschwitz Museum and brought in the tour book. It's been an exhausting day.

crin63
04-22-2009, 05:03 PM
First off, Earth is not my mother!

To celebrate I have the A/C on in the house to keep the house at 75 degrees, I always leave the lights on, The TV is on in the background to fill the void while my ipod sits here next to me silent. I also have the TV on upstairs so my room doesn't feel lonely and I drove my gas guzzling full-size truck around town a little extra just to make my carbon footprint a little bigger.

red states rule
04-23-2009, 05:42 AM
I wonder if this guy still has his job at CNN this morning?

CNN's Marciano to Obama: 'Let's Park the Jumbo Jet' for Earth Day
By Ken Shepherd (Bio | Archive)
April 22, 2009 - 16:36 ET

Hinting at but not explicitly charging President Obama with eco-hypocrisy, CNN weatherman Rob Marciano chided the chief executive for flying out to Iowa and back just for one Earth Day speech. Marciano took to the camera shortly after 10 a.m. EDT for a weather report. His comments came on the heels of Heidi Collins describing Obama's agenda for marking Earth Day [audio available here]:

ROB MARCIANO, CNN meteorologist: Is that the 747 Air Force One I see on the tarmac getting ready to go fly to Iowa for Earth Day?

HEIDI COLLINS, CNN anchor: Yup.

MARCIANO: I mean, it's a pretty big carbon footprint just to make a speech in front of a windmill.

COLLINS: Yup.

MARCIANO: C'mon, let's park the jumbo jet, just for Earth Day, Mr. President.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shepherd/2009/04/22/cnns-marciano-obama-lets-park-jumbo-jet-earth-day-0