PDA

View Full Version : Talk Like Shakespeare Day

Kathianne
04-23-2009, 05:44 AM
At least in Chicago, because our mayor really can misuse words! :laugh2:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/21/talk.like.shakespeare/

Unleash thy inner bard on 'Talk Like Shakespeare Day'

(CNN) -- Hast thou been patterning thy parlance to evoke the vernacular of William Shakespeare?

William Shakespeare is being honored in Chicago and on the Web on the 445th anniversary of his birth.

Well, get thee to an Internet machine hastily, sirrah or mistress, for thou hast but two days from Tuesday to unleash thy inner bard.

Mayor Richard M. Daley of Chicago, Illinois, has declared Thursday as "Talk Like Shakespeare Day" to celebrate the 445th birthday of the man many consider the greatest playwright in the English language.

While the bard's actual birth date is not known for sure, many scholars think it was April 23, 1564.

In a proclamation issued last week, Daley encouraged city residents to "screw their courage to the sticking place and celebrate Shakespeare by vocal acclamation of his words."

There's no reason why the rest of the country cannot play along, peppering our conversation with -- as the mayor suggested -- phrases such as "prithee" and "fie!" or, if you're at work, "pass yonder stapler."

Little-Acorn
04-23-2009, 04:13 PM
It's "unleash thine inner bard".

5stringJeff
04-23-2009, 07:59 PM
It's "unleash thine inner bard".

Do you bite your thumb at me, sir?

:D

Mr. P
04-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Y'all talk funny. Shakespeare does make some good fishin stuff though. :thumb:

Kathianne