PDA

View Full Version : No TV works!

emmett
04-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Recently I decided to conduct a little test on myself. I thought hell...we live a long life and it isn't going to kill me to go a week without watching TV. So I did it. Went 8 days actually. Here are the results:

I survived firstly. My life isn't that different. I didn't even miss Fox News.

I have completed all the work in my garden. I put up fancy borders, a cucumber fence and there ain't a weed within a mile of my place.

My yard looks great! I destroyed the ant hills, tilled the neighbors garden, fixed the mailbox pole and waxed my motorcycle.

I changed the oil in my truck, went to a biker rally, have cooked every day that I have been home and finally got a lot done on the editing of my book that needed to be done so I can stop this ridiculous procrastination and get it out. My little house is so clean one could eat off the floor, my work at the office is completely up to date, the maintenance on the trucks is 4.0, and all my shirts are pressed and hung neatly in the closet. As well as jeans etc,... I even repaired two little ceramic figurines that got damaged when I moved everything here from out of storage. I reorganized my spice rack in alphabetical order, fixed my weedeater and even cleaned every window in the house inside and out. Every time I walk by my chihuahua in the living room it just shakes it's head and looks down. I think she feels like I'm freaking out or something.

All of this just because I stopped watching TV. It's amazing.

The bad part: I smoked more, drank more coffee and hung out at Waffle house too much. I have no idea what is going on in the world in relation to current events (other than what Joe tells me at work) and to be honest I am jonesing to turn the damn thing on.

Probably TMI to most on here but I thought there are a few of you who would get a kick out of this. NO TV WORKS!

PostmodernProphet
04-28-2009, 10:12 AM
trust me, emmett.....organizing your spice rack alphabetically is NOT a sign of improvement......

emmett
04-28-2009, 10:15 AM
trust me, emmett.....organizing your spice rack alphabetically is NOT a sign of improvement......

I was waiting for the glue I used on my Harley Davidson figurines to dry. LOL. No shit!

Mr. P
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Been there, emmett. Went one full year without TV. I was busy from daylight till 10pm. When that changed I sat down to watch the tube and in 5 minutes got up and left with the stark realization of how much of a mindless waste of time it was.

I think I have some 42 days left before the digital change and none of my sets will work. Happy days here again? I'll miss a few shows for sure...how much is the question.

emmett
04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Been there, emmett. Went one full year without TV. I was busy from daylight till 10pm. When that changed I sat down to watch the tube and in 5 minutes got up and left with the stark realization of how much of a mindless waste of time it was.

I think I have some 42 days left before the digital change and none of my sets will work. Happy days here again? I'll miss a few shows for sure...how much is the question.

Well P, I'll tell ya. The thing i missed the most was the weather and I can pull up the WC on here and get a much more accurate version than Glenn Burns will give. I do miss Fox News some but they are becoming a cheerleading corp for the right. Fair and Balanced is becoming a thing of the past. Frankly I'm better entertained by coming on here on a good day when folks are in a debating mood and slugging away. I get more from it.

Our political enviornment is turning into such a slugfest of partisan attitudes it sickens me frankly. To watch C-Span has literally become comedy. Those people, no matter who is control, aren't going to accomplish anything. All it takes is about five minutes worth of watching a question and answer session regarding pretty much any topic and one can see that.

As for other shows, the only thing I miss is Forensic Files, The Investigators and shows like that. Always been fascinated with that stuff.

04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
No Beer and TV make Homer something something...

Seriously, good job! I havent watched tv as much for years. Honestly, i just like silence better. It gives me time to think and work on things.

My problem is giving up the computer;)

glockmail
04-28-2009, 11:43 AM
When I rented my first apartment my brother-in-law gave me an old TV. It got messed up in transit so I brought it to a place to get fixed, I had to agree to pay up to $75 to fix it unless that called me first to ask for more. They fixed it and bill was $73.50. Their warranty was 30 days and it lasted 33. I threw the fucker out the window and boycotted TV for two years. I got to know all the radio stations and shows, worked on my old car, made a kitchen table and chairs from an unfinished kit.

emmett
04-28-2009, 12:02 PM
When I rented my first apartment my brother-in-law gave me an old TV. It got messed up in transit so I brought it to a place to get fixed, I had to agree to pay up to $75 to fix it unless that called me first to ask for more. They fixed it and bill was $73.50. Their warranty was 30 days and it lasted 33. I threw the fucker out the window and boycotted TV for two years. I got to know all the radio stations and shows, worked on my old car, made a kitchen table and chairs from an unfinished kit.

:clap: Yup..the computer is hard to give up. However, it may have been noticed that I also was not as active this week as weeks past. Fact is I just had to get caught up on a lot of stuff and once I got going, it got easier. Three days were spent at cherokee, NC at the Spring Bike Rally where I sat around on my ass, even had a drink or two (something I rarely do) and was able to catch up on book. Had a great time.

I seriously doubt I could give up the computer. Just too much a part of my life now. Hmmm... and I critisize kids for playing video games. Hypocrit!

Silver
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Well, whatever floats your boat I say....

Democrats are living proof that ignorant citizens are happy citizens....you have to be well informed to be royally and righteously pissed off about how the politicians are freekin' robbing us of our hard earned money and hard fought for rights....:salute:

Trinity
04-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Me personally, I have no use for it. I rarely if ever watch it. My kid's on the other hand do watch it.

About 6 months ago I had to cut back on some bills temporarily, and the first thing to go was the satellite. You would think my boy's would have been raising 15 different kinds of hell over that. Surprisingly they were a little disappointed the first week, but after that they adjusted and found other things to occupy their time.

It was off for about 3 months, I had it turned back on and my boy's were very grateful, but they also said you know what mom we didn't die without TV! I said see I told you! :coffee:

PostmodernProphet
04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
I follow a few shows regularly....Supernatural, Saving Grace, Chuck, Castle.....but I download the shows on bit torrent.....I don't even know what nights they are broadcast.....I still need to tune in for my favorite thought....Diners, Driveins, and Dives on the Food Channel......

Kathianne
04-28-2009, 06:32 PM
I follow a few shows regularly....Supernatural, Saving Grace, Chuck, Castle.....but I download the shows on bit torrent.....I don't even know what nights they are broadcast.....I still need to tune in for my favorite thought....Diners, Driveins, and Dives on the Food Channel......

Food Channel and Law & Order, (reruns) are about all I watch besides news. I was a 24 fan, had high hopes based on opener, but it's gone downhill. If I've time, I'll watch online, but not stopping what I'm doing to watch. Needless to say, I watch Food Channel when I put on news and it is zero. Still their online site is great for recipes and vids.