PDA

View Full Version : Specter, last month: "I will not switch parties. US needs checks & balances."

Little-Acorn
04-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Just a month ago, Specter was swearing up and down he'd never switch parties. He cited high principles, concern for his country, etc.

That was then. Today, he announced he would switch parties.

I wonder what happened that made him suddenly change his mind?

This, maybe? http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2009/04/poll-specter-far-behind-toomey.html

-----------------------------------------

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/04/28/specter-had-disavowed-a-switch/

Specter had disavowed a switch
April 28, 2009 @ 12:28 pm by Eric Zimmermann

News of Sen. Arlen Specter's party switch today comes after months of strong statements to the contrary by the Pennsylvania Senator.

In a March 17th interview with The Hill, Specter said he absolutely would not switch parties:

[Democrats] are trying very hard for the 60th vote. Got to give them credit for trying. But the answer is no.

I'm not going to discuss private talks I had with other people who may or may not be considered influential. But since those three people are in the public domain, I think it is appropriative to respond to those questions.

I am staying a Republican because I think I have an important role, a more important role, to play there. The United States very desperately needs a two-party system. That's the basis of politics in America. I'm afraid we are becoming a one-party system, with Republicans becoming just a regional party with so little representation of the northeast or in the middle atlantic. I think as a governmental matter, it is very important to have a check and balance. That's a very important principle in the operation of our government. In the constitution on Separation of powers.

emmett
04-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Just a month ago, Specter was swearing up and down he'd never switch parties. He cited high principles, concern for his country, etc.

That was then. Today, he announced he would switch parties.

This, maybe? http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2009/04/poll-specter-far-behind-toomey.html

-----------------------------------------

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/04/28/specter-had-disavowed-a-switch/

Specter had disavowed a switch
April 28, 2009 @ 12:28 pm by Eric Zimmermann

News of Sen. Arlen Specter's party switch today comes after months of strong statements to the contrary by the Pennsylvania Senator.

In a March 17th interview with The Hill, Specter said he absolutely would not switch parties:

[Democrats] are trying very hard for the 60th vote. Got to give them credit for trying. But the answer is no.

I'm not going to discuss private talks I had with other people who may or may not be considered influential. But since those three people are in the public domain, I think it is appropriative to respond to those questions.

I am staying a Republican because I think I have an important role, a more important role, to play there. The United States very desperately needs a two-party system. That's the basis of politics in America. I'm afraid we are becoming a one-party system, with Republicans becoming just a regional party with so little representation of the northeast or in the middle atlantic. I think as a governmental matter, it is very important to have a check and balance. That's a very important principle in the operation of our government. In the constitution on Separation of powers.

When you are in water, gulping and gasping for breath and can't swim...any life raft will do!

PostmodernProphet
04-28-2009, 01:29 PM

obviously what changed were his "high principles, concern for his country, etc"......

04-28-2009, 01:43 PM

When you are in water, gulping and gasping for breath and can't swim...any life raft will do!

He was losing.

emmett
04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
You know...this brings to mind a very interesting comparison. Spector, being a very prominant Republican, which he is, being a turncoat does not really surprise me. He said he would not switch...then said he would. I'm curious now how the US Government News Agency will cover this.

In 2004, another very prominant lawmaker, US Senator Zell Miller made some very unpopular decisions about where to place his allegence in an alection where he may very well have influenced who became president. I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone what a fiery speech he gave as the keynote speaker at the Republican convention in an effort to see that GW remained with the job for four more years. The difference between these two men, both relatively known as "middle grounders", was that Zell Miller did what he did knowing it would be the absolute end of his career as a politician. I guess one could say that any conception that a Democrat could be in any way Conservative went down with him. Zell Miller was the last, the very last of the Conservative Democrats.

Now welcome in the era of the Liberal Republicans. One just ran for president as a matter of fact. John Mccain's voting record was left of Zell Miller's. Zell didn't always vote with Republicans however, he voted his conscience and didn't even consider what a "party" thought of it.

Spector is a sellout. He isn't "standing" for anything with this move. He could remain a Republican, very easily and continue to vote the way his heart leads him. Instead he will begin to move left because he is a power monger. He so desires to be that 60th Senator. The ONE who can change the entire dynamics of policymaking. His vote will be looked upon far more favorably by Democrats than that of any of the others in votes to come. He will be cast as a hero for his country. Someone who saw the light and was brave enough to vacate his party affiliation to represent the "common good". Was Zell Miller looked upon this way? Hell No. He was called names. The press was all over North Georgia immediately, I know because I saw them, looking for dirt on this brave civil warrior. Problem is.....they came up flat the fuck empty!

I remember two days after that speech being in Young Harris, Georgia, Zell's hometown. I work there all the time. There were four rental cars parked side by side in the little motel there. I know good and well they were press people digging around trying to find dirt on Zell Miller. Having come up empty, they simply exercised the only option they had and that was to just not mention him again. Zell knew doing this would end his career so he had already announced he would not seek re-election as the US Senator from Georgia.

Sometimes doing the right thing can be very difficult. Here we have two people. They served in the same capacity as US Senators. They shared a very similar philosophy about life, America and political agenda......well....almost. One had class and the other was a powermonger fool who would be willing to stand up only when it was popular and a guarentee written that his move would not be looked upon unfavorably. The press will see to it that Spector gets a good ride. "Give em Hell Zell" on the other hand, will continue teaching his students, trout fishing and knowing in his heart that he never sold out for anybody....ever.

Sometimes it is hard to be humble when you are a Georgian! LOL.

Even as a Libertarian I would vote for Zell Miller to be President any day of the week. I wouldn't hire Arlen Spector to be a trash collector, he has shamed the people of Pennsylvania and they ought to fire his ass next year. RSR....I hope you are listening!

red states rule
04-29-2009, 06:41 AM

He did not want the conservatives Republicans to decide the Senate election

Psychoblues
05-07-2009, 12:00 AM
The conservatives that have kept his Senate career alive for 29 years are his only hope. Are most of them now Democrats?!?!?!?!?!??????!??!?!?

I would be interested in seeing some of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

red states rule
05-07-2009, 05:01 AM
The conservatives that have kept his Senate career alive for 29 years are his only hope. Are most of them now Democrats?!?!?!?!?!??????!??!?!?

I would be interested in seeing some of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

He admitted that fr some reason, he did not want Republicans deciding the Republican primary

Must have been worried about something

5stringJeff
05-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Spector is a Northeast liberal. He rightly belongs in the Democrat Party. But that doesn't make him any less of a wuss for bailing out only when he saw that he was going to lose in the primaries.

red states rule
05-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Spector is a Northeast liberal. He rightly belongs in the Democrat Party. But that doesn't make him any less of a wuss for bailing out only when he saw that he was going to lose in the primaries.

and he still might lose the general election

5stringJeff
05-09-2009, 11:41 AM
and he still might lose the general election

I hope he does. Much like Ted Stevens or Ted Kennedy, Arlen Specter represents everything wrong with Congress.

red states rule
05-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I hope he does. Much like Ted Stevens or Ted Kennedy, Arlen Specter represents everything wrong with Congress.

Ca you feel the temp in Hell dropping? I agree with Jeff 100% on this one