PDA

View Full Version : HS Secty Napolitano weighs in on Swine Flu crisis

Little-Acorn
04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Our Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano (D-NM), has finally weighed in on the swine-flu crisis that has everybody fearful of mass disease and death.

Her suggestion: Change the name. Stop calling it "swine" flu.

That is all.

Boy, am I glad the government is on top of this matter.

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N28343516.htm

U.S. officials want 'swine' out of flu name

28 Apr 2009 21:31:42 GMT
Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, April 28 (Reuters) - What's in a name? U.S. pork producers are finding that the name of the virus spreading from Mexico is affecting their business, prompting U.S. officials to argue for changing the name from swine flu.

At a news briefing, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack took pains to repeatedly refer to the flu as the "H1N1 virus."

"This is not a food-borne illness, virus. It is not correct to refer to it as swine flu because really that's not what this is about," Vilsack said.

At the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there was also talk of stripping the "swine" from swine flu, which CDC acting director Richard Besser said was leading to the misapprehension that people can catch the disease from pork.

mundame
04-28-2009, 07:29 PM
It should of course be called Mexican Flu ------- like Spanish Flu, Hong Kong Flu, Russian Flu.

Oh, wait, not PC?

Trinity
04-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Wow....... my 13 year old just informed me that maybe we should shut down the Mexican US border to prevent any more of these cases.

Monkeybone
04-29-2009, 06:27 AM
What does Homeland have to do with medical issues anyways? or are they just more encompassing than i thought?

And closing the borders might help a little, but not much since it is already here. and they would really only be stopping the ones from crossing that they know are crossing.