PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu

Monkeybone
05-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Ok...so I don't think that the whole thing is as bad as the media is making out to be. But at the same time it almost seems like the Gov is basically saying, "be aware...but ignore it..no big deal". That is the opinion part...now the tin foil hat part.

:tinfoil: What if they wanted it to turn into a pandemic? Everyone starts to get sick. A few people die from it. Who can help those without insurance or even with insurance no enough money to pay for healthcare? The government can...that's who. Bring in Socialized Healthcare adn this welfacre program and that welfare program. I mean we are talking about the administration that said the best time to put things forward that wouldn't normally pass is a time of crisis. They could set up whatever prgram that they wanted to, all in the name of taking care of the American people and those less fortunate. :tinfoil:

ok. that is what i wanted to say. guess i am too bored at work here.

crin63
05-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Or maybe they just won't want to waste the opportunity to exploit a good crisis, again.

Kathianne
05-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Well it seems our 'county' has decided not to keep closing schools:

Posted from the public school district in the town I teach in:

http://www.wd7.org/web/Docs/DuPage_County_Health_Department_Letter.pdf

111 North County Farm Road, Wheaton, Illinois 60187
(630) 682-7400
www.dupagehealth.org
April 30, 2009

Dear Wood Dale District 7 Students, Parents, and Staff:

An individual at Wood Dale Junior High School has recently been diagnosed as a probable case of swine influenza.
This individual is currently receiving appropriate treatment, and is recovering at home. At this time, upon review
of the current situation with District 7 officials, we strongly recommend that District 7 schools remain open.
With the presence of swine influenza in DuPage County and other communities in Illinois, we would like to
provide you with some information to increase awareness of disease recognition and reporting, to emphasize
the importance of prevention through healthy habits, and most importantly, to help control and prevent the
spread of influenza in the community. As this situation evolves, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
the Illinois Department of Public Health, and the DuPage County Health Department are all closely monitoring
disease activity, severity, and scope, in order to provide current recommendations and guidance for our community.
We are best advised to remain calm but alert to what we can do to prevent illness.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=290600&src=4

...Another new probable case is a student at Wood Dale Junior High School, who is being treated at home.

In contrast to other health departments in the Chicago area, the DuPage County Health Department is recommending the junior high and other schools in Wood Dale District 7 remain open, and no DuPage schools have been closed.

District 7 Superintendent John Corbett said several students were taken out of school Friday as a precaution by parents, but, overall, the rate of illness in the school hasn't increased this week.

He said the student was in school for part of the day Monday but has been out of class for the remainder of the week.

The county's health department also met with teachers in the Wood Dale district Friday morning to provide training and information.

Jason Gerwig, spokesman for the county, said the health department also received confirmation Friday that an Elmhurst man who exhibited swine flu symptoms last weekend actually has been diagnosed.

The 26-year-old had been treated at Elmhurst Memorial Hospital and released.

The other probable cases are in Addison, Bloomingdale, Glendale Heights, West Chicago, Wheaton and Wood Dale. The sick people range in age from 5 to 39, Gerwig said....

Trinity
05-01-2009, 06:53 PM
You know I was talking to a good friend of mine on facebook the other day. He is in the Army and currently serving in Iraq for the second time. We had our normal general chit chat, filling him on on family and friends here, that kinda thing. And the subject of the swine flu came up, he informed me he was not worried about it, because he had been vaccinated for it by the Army.

So either someone is BS us, about they have no vaccine for this because it is a new strain, or someone is BS him. Hmmm wonder which it could be????

Trigg
05-01-2009, 07:16 PM
There are only 10 "confirmed" deaths from the swine flu.

Either the media is bored and has nothing else to report and that is the reason they are going off the deep end in regards to the swine flu.

OR

They aren't telling us everything.

With ONLY 10 deaths there is no reason for the Mexican gov. to close schools, gov offices, sporting events, sidewalk vender's and restaurants. So what exactly is going on down there???????????????

red states rule
05-02-2009, 01:51 PM

Either the media is bored and has nothing else to report and that is the reason they are going off the deep end in regards to the swine flu.

OR

With ONLY 10 deaths there is no reason for the Mexican gov. to close schools, gov offices, sporting events, sidewalk vender's and restaurants. So what exactly is going on down there???????????????

They are using this to push Obama's government run health care

and a percentage of our population will gladly line up with their hands out because it's easier than doing something on their own to achieve something in life.

Kathianne
05-02-2009, 01:54 PM

OR

There were nearly 500 schools closed in the US yesterday, Trigg.

red states rule
05-02-2009, 01:56 PM

Yet how many schools are closed each year when 30,000 people die because of the common cold and influenza?

Kathianne
05-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Yet how many schools are closed each year when 30,000 people die because of the common cold and influenza?

See this:

http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=365616&postcount=3

Trigg
05-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Now they're saying that the "masks are off in Mexico". So I guess the big scare is over.

Didn't bambam ask for 1 billion to help fight the swine flu??????

I was thinking from the beginning that the media was hyping this beyond all reason.

Kathianne
05-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Now they're saying that the "masks are off in Mexico". So I guess the big scare is over.

Didn't bambam ask for 1 billion to help fight the swine flu??????

I was thinking from the beginning that the media was hyping this beyond all reason.

Maybe, though the 'hype' seemed to come from Mexico. We'll know more next fall, when flu season begins again. Hopefully they'll have a vaccine by then.

Chicago Public Schools did something today I think should always be done, at least during flu/strep seasons: If a child is running a temperature or has a severe cough, they WILL send them home for 1 week. That sounds reasonable. Heck we have parents that will say to 'keep them, unless their temp goes above 101. Seriously. My principal allows that. :rolleyes:

Trigg
05-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Maybe, though the 'hype' seemed to come from Mexico. We'll know more next fall, when flu season begins again. Hopefully they'll have a vaccine by then.

Chicago Public Schools did something today I think should always be done, at least during flu/strep seasons: If a child is running a temperature or has a severe cough, they WILL send them home for 1 week. That sounds reasonable. Heck we have parents that will say to 'keep them, unless their temp goes above 101. Seriously. My principal allows that. :rolleyes:

Well I agree, schools are just little petri dishes. EVERYTHING comes home because so many send their kids in sick. Although 1 week may be a bit extreme, it would be hard for people with small children to miss that much work.

Not all the hype was coming from Mexico though, Egypt was killing all pigs and WHO raised the threat level to 5, all that with ONLY 10 confirmed deaths. Over kill (excuse the pun) if you ask me.

Kathianne
05-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Well I agree, schools are just little petri dishes. EVERYTHING comes home because so many send their kids in sick. Although 1 week may be a bit extreme, it would be hard for people with small children to miss that much work.

Not all the hype was coming from Mexico though, Egypt was killing all pigs and WHO raised the threat level to 5, all that with ONLY 10 confirmed deaths. Over kill (excuse the pun) if you ask me.

Yeah, Egypt went nutty, but that could be muslim influence also. In any case, this time I really can't see the US MSM being responsible or alas, the administration-Joe Biden aside.

I noticed the change from swine flu, to H1N1, now it's switching back again. Weird that. THAT is US MSM.

Trinity
05-05-2009, 06:04 AM

I use to work in daycare quite a few years ago and the rules there, (this is common in most daycare centers) that if the child has a temp of 100.05 they are not to be at daycare, if during the day the child runs a temp of 100.05 the parent needs to be contacted to pick up the child.

I couldn't tell you how many parents would shove Tylenol down there kids throat, about an hour before they dropped them off. Because they knew if they had a temp they could not leave them. We always knew which ones it was but couldn't say anything. We would make a bets though, so and so will have a temp in 3 and a half hours and sure enough as soon as that Tylenol wore off there was the fever.

And people wonder why their kid gets sick, colds, ear infections all the time in daycare.

Smurfette
06-17-2009, 01:50 PM
ya know - factory farming *could* be a conspiracy to create animal-borne virulent killing bacteria.... or it could be a lot of dumb people just keep on buying cheap meat despite the obvious and eventual consequences....

Gaffer
06-17-2009, 05:43 PM
It's media hype just like all the rest. They use it to attract viewers. It's also used for propaganda purposes like global warming and all the other silly crises they dream up. If it fits the agenda it gets constant air play. If the public blows it off they come out with specials and documentaries.

Kathianne
06-17-2009, 05:49 PM
It's media hype just like all the rest. They use it to attract viewers. It's also used for propaganda purposes like global warming and all the other silly crises they dream up. If it fits the agenda it gets constant air play. If the public blows it off they come out with specials and documentaries.

Perhaps. Problem is, it's not flu season, yet cases in IL haven't stopped:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/health/tips_info/8-year-old-dead-from-swine-flu.html

Child's Death is Illinois' 8th from H1N1

By KRISTIN NEHLS

Updated 3:30 PM CDT, Wed, Jun 17, 2009