PDA

View Full Version : marriage

05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
No, Im not getting married yet, but I had a question for people.

Quick weddings: What do you think of them? Can they work?

Ive been thinking about this and arranged marriages worked to some degree for generations. Though admittedly they didnt always have the most faithful spouses.

Whats the proper length of an engagement? What if youve known the person for years?

jackass
05-06-2009, 02:21 PM
I think that the only person to know any of those answers is you. You can find quick marriages that work out great and some that burst into a fiery wreck just as quick.

hjmick
05-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Quick weddings... I say the shorter the ceremony the better...

glockmail
05-06-2009, 03:49 PM
I would say zero correlation there. I know a couple who got married four days after they met, had four great kids and still together for 55 years or so. My parents knew each other 8 years- married 60 years until Mum died.

Jeff
05-06-2009, 05:22 PM
No, Im not getting married yet, but I had a question for people.

Quick weddings: What do you think of them? Can they work?

Ive been thinking about this and arranged marriages worked to some degree for generations. Though admittedly they didnt always have the most faithful spouses.

Whats the proper length of an engagement? What if youve known the person for years?

My wife and I met in August by November we were living together , December engaged , Married the following August , would of been sooner but I had to wait for my Divorce to be final.

I can honestly say after 9 years with my wife I finally know what marrige is and wouldn't trade it for anything!!

emmett
05-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm not married and am very very very very very very very happy!

I would think people know when it is time to get married. While the institution of marriage has suffered miserably over the past three decades it can still be the greatest gift of life to some.

I do know this, if someone gets married they should take the engagement to whatever distance to ensure they are not just sure but POSITIVE they will never seperate so children stop suffering and marriage re-attains it's true value in our society. OK MSNBC...bring it on!

actsnoblemartin
05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
i cant support marriage, i think its a drain on men

05-06-2009, 07:43 PM

And how would you know?

5stringJeff
05-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Quick weddings or quick engagements?

I think the level of commitment that each partner brings into the marriage is much more important than the time spent being engaged. If neither partner is willing to consider divorce, but is willing to work on the marriage, it will last.

KitchenKitten99
05-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Getting married just for the sake of getting married is NEVER a good thing. Trust me on this, Neil. We have talked about this, remember? Better to find someone later in your life thatyou truly love and want to take your time with than to marry early, have kids, then find out that you were never really in love with that person to the level you need to be to be married to them, and you were more in love with the idea of being married than realistic about the person you married, and that you are actually very unhappy, then go through Hell and back (the kids go through double the Hell) trying to start a new life. Especially when your ex or soon-to-be ex-spouse is a needy, mama's boy.

PostmodernProphet
05-12-2009, 12:10 PM

no wonder you lose girlfriends so quickly......

jimnyc
05-12-2009, 12:16 PM

:lol:

:popcorn:

actsnoblemartin
05-12-2009, 03:43 PM
And how would you know?

ive seen plenty of evidence but lets start with the 50% divorce rate

actsnoblemartin
05-12-2009, 03:45 PM

your an asshole, and i thought the rules stated you cant bring family, girlfriends or wives into the conversations

I wont hold my breath for you to be repremanded

PostmodernProphet
05-12-2009, 03:56 PM
your an asshole, and i thought the rules stated you cant bring family, girlfriends or wives into the conversations

I wont hold my breath for you to be repremanded

????....I didn't attack your girlfriend.....

actsnoblemartin
05-12-2009, 03:58 PM
you shouldnt have brought her up, and your defense is laughable.

if she was my wife you would say i didnt attack your wife, i attacked you

your behavior is indicative of the juvenile behavior practiced by some on this board

Kathianne
05-12-2009, 06:26 PM

No, you didn't. Got your back with this. Martin, please re-read.

Kathianne
05-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Quick weddings or quick engagements?

I think the level of commitment that each partner brings into the marriage is much more important than the time spent being engaged. If neither partner is willing to consider divorce, but is willing to work on the marriage, it will last.

Yep, agree 100%. There must be chemistry and then a serious commitment to the marriage. Sometimes frustrations will arise between the partners, but if there is the commitment to the union, you'll weather the storm.

Abbey Marie
05-14-2009, 12:09 PM
you shouldnt have brought her up, and your defense is laughable.

if she was my wife you would say i didnt attack your wife, i attacked you

your behavior is indicative of the juvenile behavior practiced by some on this board

Hi Martin,
PMP didn't attack your girlfriend. In fact, he didn't mention any specific person at all. There is a difference.