PDA

View Full Version : How Long Before Obama Flipflops on Gay Marriage?

red states rule
05-07-2009, 06:12 AM
With the left going after Ms CA for not supporting one of their pet issues, how long before their leader flip flops and agrees with them on gay marriage?

White House Memo
With Gay Issues in View, Obama Is Pressed to Engage

WASHINGTON — President Obama was noticeably silent last month when the Iowa Supreme Court overturned the state’s ban on same-sex marriage.

But now Mr. Obama — who has said he opposes same-sex marriage as a Christian but describes himself as a “fierce advocate of equality” for gay men and lesbians — is under pressure to engage on a variety of gay issues that are coming to the fore amid a dizzying pace of social, political, legal and legislative change.

Two of Mr. Obama’s potential Supreme Court nominees are openly gay; some advocates, irked that there are no gay men or lesbians in his cabinet, are mounting a campaign to influence his choice to replace Justice David H. Souter, who is retiring. Same-sex marriage is advancing in states — the latest to allow it is Maine — and a new flare-up in the District of Columbia could ultimately put the controversy in the lap of the president.

Mr. Obama’s new global health initiative has infuriated activists who say he is not financing AIDS programs generously enough. And while the president has urged Congress to pass a hate crimes bill, a high priority for gay groups, he has delayed action on one of his key campaign promises, repealing the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” rule.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/us/politics/07obama.html?_r=3&hp

Jeff
05-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Maine?? If I remember right Ma. was the first to allow gay marriages , seems like a awful lot of fags in the N.E. states

mundame
05-07-2009, 09:34 AM
With the left going after Ms CA for not supporting one of their pet issues, how long before their leader flip flops and agrees with them on gay marriage?

Soon assuredly, because as of yesterday (Maine) FIVE states and the District of Columbia have approved marriage for homosexuals.

This is as rapid as the Reno Quickie Divorces turned into No-Fault, as people expected it would back in the 50s.

Full Faith and Credit, of course, as I've said for years. I saw this pattern as inevitable, and at least I'm getting better at recognizing patterns.

Okay, also for years I've been saying that as soon as homosexuals get marriage rights, polygamy activists (Mormons and Muslims) will go after it, and they will get it immediately, as they have a better case appealing to religion and history. However obnoxious the practice is and abusive to women and girl children.

mundame
05-07-2009, 09:36 AM
This nation seems to be completely unable to defend its basic values anymore.

Homosexual marriage is okay; torture is okay; losing wars forever is okay; not bothering to defend our borders and letting illegal aliens have amnesty is okay ----

[Sigh]

Binky
05-09-2009, 09:02 AM
This nation seems to be completely unable to defend its basic values anymore.

Homosexual marriage is okay; torture is okay; losing wars forever is okay; not bothering to defend our borders and letting illegal aliens have amnesty is okay ----

[Sigh]

Yep, that pretty much says it all. Haven't you heard? Anything goes in America. Why do you think millions are running to get here? It sure as hell isn't because of the jobs, since there are fewer and fewer to pick from. Gee, it must be because of the lax morals that we have in this country.

Hmmm..........let me see, could be beastiality is the next thing they begin touting. America has become a Godless country. The devil has reign here.

82Marine89
05-09-2009, 09:06 AM
So homosexual marriage isn't okay because why?

red states rule
05-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Does Obama have any convictions at all?

He adjusts his beliefs according to which way thwe political winds are blowing at the moment.

When he ran for State Senate, he felt it would benefit him to be for gay marriage. Then as President, he has too many special interest groups pushing him, and he can't satisfy them all.

What he thinks personally has no bearing on it.

May 8, 2009
Obama Claims He Opposes Gay Marriage Because of His ‘Christianity,’ NOT States’ Rights! (Cheri Jacobus)
@ 11:59 am
White House press secretary Robert Gibbs is telling a fib. He said this about President Obama's opposition to gay marriage: "I think the president believes this is an issue that's best addressed by the states."

That is a huge, huge lie.
In a recent column for The Hill, I quoted Barack Obama on two occasions on his position on gay marriage, because, in fact, Obama has had two positions on gay marriage and NEITHER of them had anything to do with leaving it up to each state to decide. Are we now up to three?

In a 2007 Chicago Tribune interview, Obama said, “I’m a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue … my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.”

Miss California, Carrie Prejean, at the April 19, 2009, Miss USA pageant, said: “We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised.”

Carrie Prejean, first runner-up to Miss USA, holds the same position on gay marriage as Barack Obama (at least for his 2008 campaign), Joe Biden, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Hillary Clinton and the majority of Americans, according to polls.

Campaigning for the Illinois state Senate in 1996, Obama strongly supported gay marriage, “and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” Again — no mention of leaving it up to the states NOR any mention of that Christianity of his that he touted in his presidential run.

http://pundits.thehill.com/2009/05/08/obama-claims-he-opposes-gay-marriage-because-of-his-%e2%80%98christianity%e2%80%99-not-states%e2%80%99-rights/

emmett
05-10-2009, 03:31 AM
Hmmmm.... Miss California and President Obama have the EXACT same philosophy about marriage. One gets hammered and the other a free ride. I guess we have changed in this country. I remember when the president used to be hammered for breathing too deeply and beautiful women got the free rides.