PDA

View Full Version : 539,000 Lost Jobs - Unemployment hits 8.9%

red states rule
05-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Where are the jobs that were to be "saved and created" from the Obama stimulus plan?

This is considered an omprovement? Only when a Dem is Presdient I guess

Layoffs slow to 539K in April; jobless rate rises
Advertisement - Your ad here

JEANNINE AVERSA
AP Economics Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The pace of layoffs slowed in April when employers cut 539,000 jobs, the fewest in six months. But the unemployment rate climbed to 8.9 percent, the highest since late 1983, as many businesses remain wary of hiring given all the economic uncertainties.

The Labor Department tally released Friday wasn't nearly as deep as the 620,000 job cuts that economists were expecting, and was helped by a burst of government hiring. The rise in the unemployment rate from 8.5 percent in March matched economists' forecasts.

The new report underscored the toll the longest recession since World War II has taken on America's workers and companies. However, the slowdown in layoffs may bolster hopes that the worst of the downturn's hefty job losses are past.

Still, companies will remain cautious in hiring, making it harder for laid-off workers to find new jobs.

If laid-off workers who have given up looking for new jobs or have settled for part-time work are included, the unemployment rate would have been 15.8 percent in April, the highest on records dating back to 1994.

http://wvgazette.com/ap/ApTopStories/200905080185

Trigg
05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
That number would have been higher if not for the 72,000 government jobs that were created. If not for those the unemployment for last month would have been above 600,000 just the same as the last few months. NOT an improvement IMHO.

I assume quite a few of those jobs were census takers.

red states rule
05-08-2009, 10:11 AM
That number would have been higher if not for the 72,000 government jobs that were created. If not for those the unemployment for last month would have been above 600,000 just the same as the last few months. NOT an improvement IMHO.

I assume quite a few of those jobs were census takers.

Well ACORN will be doing a large part of the counting - and Obama did give ACORN $5 billion in the "stimulus" bill

Do nto forget about the former anti war protesters that were out on the corners nearly every weekend protesting the war and Pres Bush

Now those ant war voices are for the most part silent since Obama is now CIC

April15
05-08-2009, 07:24 PM
If the policies of the previous administration had not created the perfect conditions for catastrophe in finances there would not be a problem with unemployment now. But since they did such a good job, the only good job in 8 years, it may take 10 or more to recover fully.

Joe Steel
05-08-2009, 07:31 PM
If the policies of the previous administration had not created the perfect conditions for catastrophe in finances there would not be a problem with unemployment now. But since they did such a good job, the only good job in 8 years, it may take 10 or more to recover fully.

That's right. Bush created a disaster.

05-08-2009, 07:55 PM

So you are admitting that until the Republicans take back government, there can't be a full recovery.

red states rule
05-09-2009, 07:09 AM

Lets look at the results of theose policies April

Bush Budget - $3.1 trillon

Obama Budget - $3.7 trillion

Bush deficit - $500 billion

Obama deficit - $2 trillion

Obama has lied about tax cuts to "95% of tax payers" and libs balme Bush for it

Obama is not leaving Iraq - libs bkame Bush for it

Obama has spent $4 trillion since taking office - libs balme Bush for it

The so called stimulus bill is mostly pork, despite Obama (and Pelosi) promising NO PORK or EARMARKS would be in the bill - libs blame Bush

April, your sorry ass vlame Bush excuse is wearing thin. Dems have total control of Dc and do what they damn well please

From what I have seen so far, they are raising taxes, increasing spending, running up the annual deficit, and piling on the national debt/ The same damn things you CLAIMED to care so much about when Pres Bush was in office

AFbombloader
05-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Well ACORN will be doing a large part of the counting - and Obama did give ACORN $5 billion in the "stimulus" bill

Do nto forget about the former anti war protesters that were out on the corners nearly every weekend protesting the war and Pres Bush

Now those ant war voices are for the most part silent since Obama is now CIC

There were a lot of census jobs added last month, mine included. And ACORN will not be doing any of the counting, if the information I received while getting trained is accurate. There are 29 people in my crew and non of us are ACORN. Maybe in some of the larger areas like Chicago and New York there will try and infiltrate, but as of right now I haven't seen anything. Right now we are just doing address verification, the long and short forms will be mailed out shortly, then we will go back out and interview anyone that doesn't complete the form. I really don't see any place in this process for anyone to falsify any information. If you add an address that isn't there the quality assurance folks will catch it.

red states rule
05-09-2009, 08:59 AM
There were a lot of census jobs added last month, mine included. And ACORN will not be doing any of the counting, if the information I received while getting trained is accurate. There are 29 people in my crew and non of us are ACORN. Maybe in some of the larger areas like Chicago and New York there will try and infiltrate, but as of right now I haven't seen anything. Right now we are just doing address verification, the long and short forms will be mailed out shortly, then we will go back out and interview anyone that doesn't complete the form. I really don't see any place in this process for anyone to falsify any information. If you add an address that isn't there the quality assurance folks will catch it.

Here is what I based the post on AF

Great news: ACORN helping hire workers for U.S.

Not a huge deal, I think, given the sheer numbers we’re talking about — the Census Bureau has 250 organizational partners soliciting one million applicants for 140,000 jobs — but combine this with The One’s tentative efforts to assume greater control of the census and we’re looking at hours and hours of rich bloggy goodness next year when the inevitable stories about lost forms and miscounts start to appear.

“It’s a concern, especially when you look at all the different charges of voter fraud. And it’s not just the lawmakers’ concern. It should be the concern of every citizen in the country,” Rep. Lynn A. Westmoreland, R-Ga., vice ranking member of the subcommittee for the U.S. Census, told FOXNews.com. “We want an enumeration. We don’t want to have any false numbers.”…
“The Census (Bureau) is a nonpartisan, non-political agency and we’re very dedicated to an accurate account,” bureau spokesman Stephen Buckner told FOXNews.com. “We have a lot of quality controls in place to keep any kind of systemic error or fraudulent behavior to affect the counts.”

Buckner said the bureau received an overwhelming number of qualified applicants — more than 1 million — for the 140,000 census taker jobs filled to complete the first phase of the effort. Each applicant, he said, must take a basic skills exam, which includes reading a map and entering data into a handheld computer. Applicants are also subject to an FBI background check, he said.

But Buckner acknowledged that it is difficult to track an applicant’s political background.

“I have no way of tracking any of that information,” he said. “If somebody comes in to a position with a political agenda and their work exhibits that, there are rules against that,” he said.

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/03/17/great-news-acorn-helping-hire-workers-for-us-census/

AFbombloader
05-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Here is what I based the post on AF

Great news: ACORN helping hire workers for U.S.

Not a huge deal, I think, given the sheer numbers we’re talking about — the Census Bureau has 250 organizational partners soliciting one million applicants for 140,000 jobs — but combine this with The One’s tentative efforts to assume greater control of the census and we’re looking at hours and hours of rich bloggy goodness next year when the inevitable stories about lost forms and miscounts start to appear.

“It’s a concern, especially when you look at all the different charges of voter fraud. And it’s not just the lawmakers’ concern. It should be the concern of every citizen in the country,” Rep. Lynn A. Westmoreland, R-Ga., vice ranking member of the subcommittee for the U.S. Census, told FOXNews.com. “We want an enumeration. We don’t want to have any false numbers.”…
“The Census (Bureau) is a nonpartisan, non-political agency and we’re very dedicated to an accurate account,” bureau spokesman Stephen Buckner told FOXNews.com. “We have a lot of quality controls in place to keep any kind of systemic error or fraudulent behavior to affect the counts.”

Buckner said the bureau received an overwhelming number of qualified applicants — more than 1 million — for the 140,000 census taker jobs filled to complete the first phase of the effort. Each applicant, he said, must take a basic skills exam, which includes reading a map and entering data into a handheld computer. Applicants are also subject to an FBI background check, he said.

But Buckner acknowledged that it is difficult to track an applicant’s political background.

“I have no way of tracking any of that information,” he said. “If somebody comes in to a position with a political agenda and their work exhibits that, there are rules against that,” he said.

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/03/17/great-news-acorn-helping-hire-workers-for-us-census/

I have seen the same things, and had the same concerns. Bur after being trained and seeing how this system works I don't feel there will be any issues with this phase of the process. After the forms get mailed and filled out, there could be issued with how the information is sorted and utilized. And the people who don't fill out the form, or do it incompletely, will be getting a visit from an enumerator to get the questions answered in person. There could be some issues there also. Right now ACORN is so much in the news with lawsuits and such, I don;t know if they want to be in more hot water for something like census fraud, but then again I am probably wrong.