PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Kathianne
05-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Tuesday we has a staff meeting, seems the principal had decided that a 'teacher' needed to go, because of benefit costs. Since I never got along with her, figured likely myself. Tuesday evening was a school board meeting, where she laid out the plans for the coming year. None of us knew that, but seems there were repercussions. Parents were not happy with her solution, nor her choice of teacher to let go.

Wednesday morning went into her office, brought up possible remedies, when she blurted, "I had to look at the lowest enrollment years, it's 6th and 7th." Now I know that I'm popular with students and parents, she'd be silly to carry out, YET, I'm very aware that her DAUGHTER is the 6th grade teacher. So, I knew there was no winning here.

Lo and behold, I'm being rfd, (reduction faculty). So, ok. I'll accept that, asked for letter of recommendation, at which point on Thursday, she says, "Look, in all likelihood, 99% you'll have a job next year...." I say, "Great, I need the letter for that 1% and will need tomorrow off for personal day." So I got a very strong letter of recommendation from her and will be asking for one from the board and a personal one from the board president, whose 3 children I've taught and adore me, (I know it sounds sappy, but they do.)

It's all out of control now, most likely the school board will raise the funds, but the ideas are 'out there.' I've decided to seriously look to other areas, inside and outside Illinois. Hopefully I'll find something, preferably in a lower cost of living state. Considering the employment environment, it's a gamble. How do I face next year, if they come up with the money and I haven't found alternative employment?

I'm understating the problems; now parents, staff, and kids are involved. The Catholic high school closed closest to us, in spite of parents raising over a million bucks, in less than a week, has closed. So? Me I'm looking for anything, anywhere.

Mr. P
05-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Cheaper living, close to emmett :lol: and no snow!

http://www.gwa.com/

crin63
05-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Last time I talked to my brother the schools in the Houston area were looking for teachers. I'll check with him tomorrow. He's a teacher in Huntsville, TX.

Whether this helps or not, I have a friend that was pink slipped a couple months ago. She just got 3 offers from the same school district and her pink slip officially rescinded. She has decided to go back to working with the special ed students, she has a real love for those kids. She is one of the few teachers who have training for and wants to work with the special ed kids. Maybe you might want to look into that area of teaching.

Kathianne
05-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Last time I talked to my brother the schools in the Houston area were looking for teachers. I'll check with him tomorrow. He's a teacher in Huntsville, TX.

Whether this helps or not, I have a friend that was pink slipped a couple months ago. She just got 3 offers from the same school district and her pink slip officially rescinded. She has decided to go back to working with the special ed students, she has a real love for those kids. She is one of the few teachers who have training for and wants to work with the special ed kids. Maybe you might want to look into that area of teaching.

Funny thing, I'm good at working with special needs kids, but I really love history. Soooo, if I get a job I should probably get a MA in history and teach at least part time in college. Then I could handle my 'day job' being special ed. ;)

Kathianne
05-10-2009, 09:08 AM

Hmm, I hadn't thought of TX, but seems everyone from there loves it.

jackass
05-10-2009, 11:44 AM
I havent looked into it, but I here the schools in SC are looking. Real estate is pretty cheap down here, hope you dont mind the heat and humidity! :laugh2:

Kathianne
05-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I havent looked into it, but I here the schools in SC are looking. Real estate is pretty cheap down here, hope you dont mind the heat and humidity! :laugh2:

That would be worth looking into. I love the ocean and seems SC doesn't get the hurricanes as much as some.

jackass
05-10-2009, 06:36 PM
That would be worth looking into. I love the ocean and seems SC doesn't get the hurricanes as much as some.

No, but if even the hint of a hurricane or snow....WATCH OUT!!! :laugh2:

Kathianne
05-11-2009, 04:11 AM
No, but if even the hint of a hurricane or snow....WATCH OUT!!! :laugh2:

Well the hurricane thing would quite freak me out, snow? :laugh2:

Agnapostate
05-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Funny thing, I'm good at working with special needs kids, but I really love history. Soooo, if I get a job I should probably get a MA in history and teach at least part time in college. Then I could handle my 'day job' being special ed. ;)

If you had an MA, you could easily teach as a professor at a community college (or a university as a lecturer, perhaps), and then transition onward as a university professor, though some are biased against those who have taught at community colleges. I do have a colleague at Northwestern, and I could inquire about general conditions in a roundabout sort of way.

Kathianne
05-11-2009, 05:04 AM
If you had an MA, you could easily teach as a professor at a community college (or a university as a lecturer, perhaps), and then transition onward as a university professor, though some are biased against those who have taught at community colleges. I do have a colleague at Northwestern, and I could inquire about general conditions in a roundabout sort of way.

Why thank you! I do have MS in Admin Ed. I believe I'd need to pick up MA in history or political science. First I really would like to find a new position, so I do not go through this again. As I said, if it were really 'reduction in force', she would have riffed a teacher who has many complaints or gone on seniority-neither of which was done. While she says 99% sure the position will be there, I'd rather it not be me.

Abbey Marie
05-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Sorry Kath!

Are you really ready to move away from your kids? I think that is the big question. I'm sure you wouldn't mind less snow...

I see you as an AP History and AP US Gov't teacher in a high school. You get the smart kids and can delve deeper.

Little-Acorn
05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Come to the People's Republic of California. You can set up as a combined homeschooling store and History tutor. Enjoy the best, avoid the worst.

Except house prices still suck, even after the crash. My sis-in-law just bought a 1000sf 2br 2ba for "only" 360K in San Jose. San Diego's better, but not much.

Weather is flat out gorgeous. And farther from emmett :lol: , and no snow!

Kathianne
05-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Sorry Kath!

Are you really ready to move away from your kids? I think that is the big question. I'm sure you wouldn't mind less snow...

I see you as an AP History and AP US Gov't teacher in a high school. You get the smart kids and can delve deeper.

Actually if my nephew hadn't gotten sick, probably would have done so a year or two ago, but he did. It's taken this to make me decide to go on my own, my brother and his wife pretty much have to stay here, until something happens with Jay. So, all my kids are done with university now, but one, and he's doing fine with accounting and working. If they need to, their dad is close by. So yeah, I'll probably be moving if I don't get something here before then.

I really don't want to go back to my current school, lots of hard feelings there.

Kathianne
05-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Come to the People's Republic of California. You can set up as a combined homeschooling store and History tutor. Enjoy the best, avoid the worst.

Except house prices still suck, even after the crash. My sis-in-law just bought a 1000sf 2br 2ba for "only" 360K in San Jose. San Diego's better, but not much.

Weather is flat out gorgeous. And farther from emmett :lol: , and no snow!

No way I could afford, if I could would have taken a job Manu offered a couple years ago.

Little-Acorn
05-11-2009, 04:12 PM
No way I could afford, if I could would have taken a job Manu offered a couple years ago.

I hear that. House prices are scary, taxes are going up, gun laws are draconian, and the state has a bigger deficit than most sovereign nations with no resolution in sight.

Weather's still gorgeous.

Kathianne
05-11-2009, 04:16 PM
I hear that. House prices are scary, taxes are going up, gun laws are draconian, and the state has a bigger deficit than most sovereign nations with no resolution in sight.

Weather's still gorgeous.

I fell in love in one three week visit. Gorgeous. But not doable, schools seem a mess.

Little-Acorn
05-11-2009, 04:39 PM
I fell in love in one three week visit. Gorgeous. But not doable, schools seem a mess.

They are in many places. (But check out Poway Unified School District, and some others).

That's why I suggested being a tutor instead of a tenured teacher. And running a homeschooling store. Your clientele is the people who are fed up with crappy PRCalifornia schools and have decided to go elsewhere. They're motivated, often wealthy, and by definition smarter than the people who stayed in the crappy schools. Getting started is tough (always true for an entrepreneur), but as your rep gets established and spreads.....

Kathianne
05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
They are in many places. (But check out Poway Unified School District, and some others).

That's why I suggested being a tutor instead of a tenured teacher. And running a homeschooling store. Your clientele is the people who are fed up with crappy PRCalifornia schools and have decided to go elsewhere. They're motivated, often wealthy, and by definition smarter than the people who stayed in the crappy schools. Getting started is tough (always true for an entrepreneur), but as your rep gets established and spreads.....

I'm not that brave. I need benefits. No spring chicken and the past 15 years have been more stressful than for most. ;)

chloe
05-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Sorry to read about the stress your school is causing you. What options are you looking into? Do you have alot of family where you live right now or can you relocate just about anywhere? We considered several places to relocate but high taxes are a big concern for us too. I hope something wonderful opens up for you.

Kathianne
05-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Sorry to read about the stress your school is causing you. What options are you looking into? Do you have alot of family where you live right now or can you relocate just about anywhere? We considered several places to relocate but high taxes are a big concern for us too. I hope something wonderful opens up for you.

Why thank you and welcome! Well today I worked a 1/2 day and took the afternoon as personal. Went down to the Chicago Public Schools job fair, but what a cattle call! Had to be thousands! McCormick Place-same place they host the auto show! LOL!

I'll keep plugging away, trying and see if there are openings. I can relocate if I can get my home sold. Right now I may be lucky with that.

emmett
05-16-2009, 12:57 AM
All I know is some classroom out there is going to get a gift they could never imagine!

Kathianne
05-16-2009, 01:10 AM
All I know is some classroom out there is going to get a gift they could never imagine!

Thanks, but you're prejudiced!

emmett
05-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Ya think? Maybe a wee bit.

chloe
05-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Well I do wish you the best Kathianne and I just know something good will unfold for you.

Kathianne
05-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Well I do wish you the best Kathianne and I just know something good will unfold for you.

Thanks again Chloe! So how is Utah? Is it the state or just SLC where the Mormon's rule?

chloe
05-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks again Chloe! So how is Utah? Is it the state or just SLC where the Mormon's rule?

The State, utah is very 1950's mostly conservative not too much diversity. There are good things and bad things about it. Utah Governor Jon Huntsman is going to work for Obama they just announced that here. Pretty weird.

Kathianne
05-16-2009, 10:20 AM
The State, utah is very 1950's mostly conservative not too much diversity. There are good things and bad things about it. Utah Governor Jon Huntsman is going to work for Obama they just announced that here. Pretty weird.

I just saw that. Gets him some foreign experience, I've heard tell he's ambitious. Is he Mormon?

chloe
05-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Yes he's LDS, he's a nice guy, I met him once he performed a marriage ceremony for a local mayor I worked for at the time. He's very short in person.

Kathianne, how do you feel about an increasing trend of kids opting for Online school rather then traditional school?

Kathianne
05-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Yes he's LDS, he's a nice guy, I met him once he performed a marriage ceremony for a local mayor I worked for at the time. He's very short in person.

Kathianne, how do you feel about an increasing trend of kids opting for Online school rather then traditional school?

I'd say it depends on age and child. I think it may be a boon to 'gifted' kids, as long as the parents are cognizant enough to have them involved in many group activities. The idea of schools going that way, to let kids work at 'their own pace'? Not so good, the kids will stay a step ahead of the schools, doing other things than lessons.

College level? Depends again on the student and ability or interest. I think it's a great way for students to gain more credits for low costs. Can help with double majors that want to pick up one or more minors.

Gunny
05-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Tuesday we has a staff meeting, seems the principal had decided that a 'teacher' needed to go, because of benefit costs. Since I never got along with her, figured likely myself. Tuesday evening was a school board meeting, where she laid out the plans for the coming year. None of us knew that, but seems there were repercussions. Parents were not happy with her solution, nor her choice of teacher to let go.

Wednesday morning went into her office, brought up possible remedies, when she blurted, "I had to look at the lowest enrollment years, it's 6th and 7th." Now I know that I'm popular with students and parents, she'd be silly to carry out, YET, I'm very aware that her DAUGHTER is the 6th grade teacher. So, I knew there was no winning here.

Lo and behold, I'm being rfd, (reduction faculty). So, ok. I'll accept that, asked for letter of recommendation, at which point on Thursday, she says, "Look, in all likelihood, 99% you'll have a job next year...." I say, "Great, I need the letter for that 1% and will need tomorrow off for personal day." So I got a very strong letter of recommendation from her and will be asking for one from the board and a personal one from the board president, whose 3 children I've taught and adore me, (I know it sounds sappy, but they do.)

It's all out of control now, most likely the school board will raise the funds, but the ideas are 'out there.' I've decided to seriously look to other areas, inside and outside Illinois. Hopefully I'll find something, preferably in a lower cost of living state. Considering the employment environment, it's a gamble. How do I face next year, if they come up with the money and I haven't found alternative employment?

I'm understating the problems; now parents, staff, and kids are involved. The Catholic high school closed closest to us, in spite of parents raising over a million bucks, in less than a week, has closed. So? Me I'm looking for anything, anywhere.

My opinion is, if they have a job for you next year, take it. Just don't quit looking and don't forget that axe is there.

Lower cost of living is relative. You won't get paid Chicago scale in Amarillo.

Kathianne
05-16-2009, 10:58 AM
My opinion is, if they have a job for you next year, take it. Just don't quit looking and don't forget that axe is there.

Lower cost of living is relative. You won't get paid Chicago scale in Amarillo.

Oh, if I don't have a job and it's there, I'll take it, gladly. Never fear that, :laugh2: . I also will keep looking, no matter what! I don't get Amarillo salary, still under $36k. And the COL will be significantly lower in Amarillo though that wouldn't be my first choice!

chloe
05-16-2009, 11:01 AM
I'd say it depends on age and child. I think it may be a boon to 'gifted' kids, as long as the parents are cognizant enough to have them involved in many group activities. The idea of schools going that way, to let kids work at 'their own pace'? Not so good, the kids will stay a step ahead of the schools, doing other things than lessons.

College level? Depends again on the student and ability or interest. I think it's a great way for students to gain more credits for low costs. Can help with double majors that want to pick up one or more minors.

Thanks for answering that, it has been a huge topic in my family lately and I have been against it but you make some points for me to consider.:cool:

Kathianne
05-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks for answering that, it has been a huge topic in my family lately and I have been against it but you make some points for me to consider.:cool:

Happy to do so. Motivation would be the deciding issue for me about recommending pro or con.

Gunny
05-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Oh, if I don't have a job and it's there, I'll take it, gladly. Never fear that, :laugh2: . I also will keep looking, no matter what! I don't get Amarillo salary, still under $36k. And the COL will be significantly lower in Amarillo though that wouldn't be my first choice!

You live in Chicago on under $36k? By comparison, you;d be considered wealthy in Amarillo. That's like almost poverty level in Chicago, isn't it?

Mugged Liberal
05-16-2009, 08:14 PM

I wish you well in your job endeavors. From what I've read on this board you would be an asset to any school. (despite your unfortunate conservative leanings. lol)

Kathianne
05-16-2009, 08:25 PM
You live in Chicago on under $36k? By comparison, you;d be considered wealthy in Amarillo. That's like almost poverty level in Chicago, isn't it?

Indeed. Somehow I managed to get the kids through school, well they came up with the scholarships and such, I paid their car insurance and any incidentals. But this summer was already looking tough, now this. :eek: Just wish me luck in selling the house!

Kathianne
05-16-2009, 08:26 PM
I wish you well in your job endeavors. From what I've read on this board you would be an asset to any school. (despite your unfortunate conservative leanings. lol)

That was very nice, thank you! Let's hope somewhere, some principal thinks the same. :laugh2: