PDA

View Full Version : New job for census workers: Collecting GPS coords for your front door

Little-Acorn
05-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Apparently government workers are fanning out across the country now, in preparation for the coming 2010 census. But they're not knocking on doors and asking how many people live there. They are simply stepping up to your door, pressing a few buttons on a handheld device to capture the latitude and longitude, and going away.

No, I'm not joking. How many here have seen them?

My question is, for what do they need this data?

Any guesses? I admit I'm at a loss.

MtnBiker
05-11-2009, 03:43 PM
It could be establishing data on actual household. I would imagine the number of households changes every 10 years. They will not be counting every household but compileing for statistical purposes.

Were they wearing red shirts?

Missileman
05-11-2009, 03:47 PM

No, brown shirts and long black boots...:laugh2:

MtnBiker
05-11-2009, 03:55 PM
No, brown shirts and long black boots...:laugh2:

whoa, maybe it will be crystal night 2010

Nukeman
05-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Apparently government workers are fanning out across the country now, in preparation for the coming 2010 census. But they're not knocking on doors and asking how many people live there. They are simply stepping up to your door, pressing a few buttons on a handheld device to capture the latitude and longitude, and going away.

No, I'm not joking. How many here have seen them?

My question is, for what do they need this data?

Any guesses? I admit I'm at a loss.Welcome to the conversation of the last few weeks. This has been going on for quite a while. Infact they started it back in 2006 during their "test" census

AFbombloader
05-12-2009, 06:29 AM
I'm actually one of those who are doing the address verification right now. And they can't give us a good reason for the "map point" either. My best guess is that it is so the enumerators will be able to find the house on their computers is they need to go back for some reason.
As far as counting, we are in the first phase of the process. There will be forms mailed out to every address we verify as a real address. If the people fill out the form and mail it is they are done. If they don't, we will have to go back to the address (using the map point) and perform an interview to get the information the form was looking for.

Little-Acorn
05-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm actually one of those who are doing the address verification right now. And they can't give us a good reason for the "map point" either.

As you go house to house, has anyone asked you yet:

1.) What part of the Constitution gives the Fed Govt the authority to ask them their ancestry, income, or anything other than "How many people live here?" ? and,

2.) How do you feel about violating that same Constitution?

My guess is (please correct me if I'm wrong) that no one has asked you either of those things, correct?

That does not bode well for our country.

Little-Acorn
05-12-2009, 11:20 AM
It could be establishing data on actual household. I would imagine the number of households changes every 10 years. They will not be counting every household but compileing for statistical purposes.

One possible use for this GPS data occurs to me.

Gerrymandering. The manipulation of the borders of voting districts, to assure that Congressman X of the 45th congressional district, will always have a solid Democrat-voting majority. Makes districts look like paint splatters on a map sometimes, but hey, no one said it would be pretty, just effective.

Can also be used to CURE gerrymandering, of course, but give me a break.

Give me a list of addresses, party registrations from voter-reg data (freely available), and now the GPS coords of each house, and I'll write you a computer program that produces Democrat majorities (or Republican majorities, take your choice) for EVERY state that votes by congressional districts.

How? Easy.

You want California to elect more Democrat congressmen to the U.S. House of Reps, than Republican congressmen? I'll set up most of the districts to have 55% Dem majorities, and a smaller number that have 95% Republican majorites. Even if Repubs outnumber Dems in the state, I'll give you 60 districts that elect Dem congressmen while only 20 elect Repubs.

With EXACT knowledge of the physical location of each Repub and Dem voter, I'll guarantee delivery of the exact results you want. Some of the districts might stretch from San Diego to Geyserville, winding thru one neighborhood after another to pick off Republican households while avoiding Democrat ones, but do you care?

Nukeman
05-12-2009, 12:54 PM

1.) What part of the Constitution gives the Fed Govt the authority to ask them their ancestry, income, or anything other than "How many people live here?" ? and,

My guess is (please correct me if I'm wrong) that no one has asked you either of those things, correct?

That does not bode well for our country.Just to play "devils advocate" where EXACTLY does it state in the Constitutions that those things are prohibited?????? How is he violating the constitution?????

Little-Acorn
05-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Just to play "devils advocate" where EXACTLY does it state in the Constitutions that those things are prohibited?
Amendment 10.

How is he violating the constitution?

By acting as a paid agent of the Federal government while asking such unauthorized questions.

AFbombloader
05-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Amendment 10.

By acting as a paid agent of the Federal government while asking such unauthorized questions.

First, I am not violating the constitution because I am not asking anything except "is this address the one for the home here?" and "Are there any additional renters/borders other than at the main home?"

Article one, section two of the Constitution states when the census will be accomplished (so I am good there).

"[An] Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct." Congress first met in 1789, and the first national census was held in 1790.

The census is guided by Title 13 of the U.S. Code. As to the other questions, that is above my level, and we as Americans are legally bound to answer them (even though it is rarely if ever enforced).

Personally, I am just doing a job. Right about now I am happy to have one. I don't know what they are going to do with the map points. Your version of possibilities is very plausible. But mine makes just as much sense, that they are just what they are... map points.

Mr. P
05-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I only gave what the Constitution said I needed to give in 2000. I had two visits from folks wanting more info to complete my form..they didn't get it...the same will happen in 2010 I guess.

AFbombloader
05-13-2009, 06:45 AM
I only gave what the Constitution said I needed to give in 2000. I had two visits from folks wanting more info to complete my form..they didn't get it...the same will happen in 2010 I guess.

The Constitution doesn't really specify what information is supposed to be gathered, just that a head count of all Americans will be accomplished. I honestly can't remember if I even got a form in 2000, but I will just answer the minimum questions also. I don't see the need for the Govt. to know any of the other info.

Nukeman
05-13-2009, 07:11 AM
Amendment 10.

It does not say anything about "unauthorized questions". where does it say these questions are illegal or unauthorized....?????

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

How does this preclude the federal government from ASKING questions or even getting a GPS location of your house....

crin63
05-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I was threatened with a $1500 fine if I didn't comply with the people coming to my door for a random census. The woman who was here before me kept putting it off so when I bought the house they immediately started bugging me and sent me a letter threatening a $1500 fine for not complying.

I figure this whole GPS thing is so when we Americans piss off the government and end up on the DHS watch list, because we stood up for our Constitution it will make it easier for Obama's citizen patrols to locate us.

Mr. P
05-13-2009, 11:11 AM
I was threatened with a $1500 fine if I didn't comply with the people coming to my door for a random census. The woman who was here before me kept putting it off so when I bought the house they immediately started bugging me and sent me a letter threatening a $1500 fine for not complying.

I figure this whole GPS thing is so when we Americans piss off the government and end up on the DHS watch list, because we stood up for our Constitution it will make it easier for Obama's citizen patrols to locate us.

Yep...they tossed that threat around with me too, I still didn't give them what they wanted..as far as I know no one has been fined yet. I wasn't but who knows what will come in 2010. I really don't think they will be successful with fines based on constitutional grounds. Count people, NOT how many rooms, bathrooms, pets etc are in the house.

Little-Acorn
05-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Another possible reason:

There is a Federal law saying that no one can have a gun within 1,000 feet of a school. It was thrown out as unconstitutional in 1995 (US v. Lopez), but I hear that it was re-written and re-passed.

Every time you buy a gun from a dealer, you must fill out a Federal form that lists, among other things, your address. And many states and localities have similar forms, even for buying a used weapon from a private party - the transaction must be done at a dealer.

So now, with exact GPS coords of every address, it becomes a simple thing for anti-gun officials to draw a 1000-foot-radius circle around every school on a map, and mark the gun-owning households within that circle. Then a little visit from the local heat, for confiscation purposes. It's for the children, after all.

BTW, try getting a map of your city or town, and draw 1,000-foot radius circles around every school, public and private. Daycares, YMCAs with pools that give swim lessons, horse corrals that teach riding etc., are fair game. Then completely black in every circle, and see how much un-colored territory is left on your map.

emmett
05-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't do census!

The intention of the census this time will be for all the previously mentioned unsavory reasons. I will have no part of it.

AFbombloader
05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't do census!

The intention of the census this time will be for all the previously mentioned unsavory reasons. I will have no part of it.

I fear that you are correct, and then some. But like I said in the earlier post, I need job right now and this is what I have to do.

mundame
05-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm actually one of those who are doing the address verification right now. And they can't give us a good reason for the "map point" either. My best guess is that it is so the enumerators will be able to find the house on their computers is they need to go back for some reason.
As far as counting, we are in the first phase of the process. There will be forms mailed out to every address we verify as a real address. If the people fill out the form and mail it is they are done. If they don't, we will have to go back to the address (using the map point) and perform an interview to get the information the form was looking for.

I did follow-up census in 1980. Wow, would we have loved GPS devices! I found someone in an illegal houseboat (he hid, so I listed as much info as I could anyway from the surroundings); a garage with the door being the whole three-car width rolling up and the occupant was a dancer who had to change for work: she stripped totally nude while I was interviewing her. (It was the first time I realized some women don't wear panties under their stockings.......); an equipment shed out back of the house; a hillbilly shack of three rooms with 12 people living in it and leather britches beans being hung on strings all around the rooms to dry, etc. It was a wonderful experience, actually.

Google Earth now SHOWS you the home that corresponds to an address: I was creeped out the first time I put our address in that Website.

I don't see this as a problem. People have addresses; the post office knows about them, as a rule. So the government knows where you live, so what? It already knows.

Some important guy in Silicon Valley said, "You have no privacy. Get used to it." I think that's good advice, up there with, "Everyone knows everything. There are no secrets."

mundame
05-13-2009, 03:30 PM

That does not bode well for our country.

I had one guy who said all that! Wow, he was hot to trot, I can tell you. Turned bright red and fussed and carried on. I pointed out that Thomas Jefferson rode a horse some miles to get to the Courthouse so his family could be counted in the first Census --- they did it that way, then.

That made him pause, but he was too wound up to back down. So I gave up on him -- we can fill out quite a bit just by observation, after all. His wife, a nice woman, had THE best handmade braided rugs I have EVER seen except for my own -- really, they were better than mine -- and even in 1980 you didn't see many of those, though there was a brief fashion for them in Maryland at that time. So we talked about her rugs and rug-braiding while the hubby yelled. Then I left.

I still remember that episode fondly ---------------- for the rugs, of course.

Mr. P
05-13-2009, 03:38 PM
No one that just knocks on my door gets in..unless I know them.

emmett
05-13-2009, 05:06 PM
I did follow-up census in 1980. Wow, would we have loved GPS devices! I found someone in an illegal houseboat (he hid, so I listed as much info as I could anyway from the surroundings); a garage with the door being the whole three-car width rolling up and the occupant was a dancer who had to change for work: she stripped totally nude while I was interviewing her. (It was the first time I realized some women don't wear panties under their stockings.......); an equipment shed out back of the house; a hillbilly shack of three rooms with 12 people living in it and leather britches beans being hung on strings all around the rooms to dry, etc. It was a wonderful experience, actually.

Google Earth now SHOWS you the home that corresponds to an address: I was creeped out the first time I put our address in that Website.

I don't see this as a problem. People have addresses; the post office knows about them, as a rule. So the government knows where you live, so what? It already knows.

Some important guy in Silicon Valley said, "You have no privacy. Get used to it." I think that's good advice, up there with, "Everyone knows everything. There are no secrets."

Well....if yhey already know it, why do they have to come to myhouse and ask redundent questions then?

If it weren't for the fact that the census accomplishes nothing, I would participate. We have so many illegal aliens it is counterproductive to even begin to count people. What is the point?

mundame
05-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Well....if yhey already know it, why do they have to come to myhouse and ask redundent questions then?

If it weren't for the fact that the census accomplishes nothing, I would participate. We have so many illegal aliens it is counterproductive to even begin to count people. What is the point?

I don't know, Emmett, but it IS in the Constitution.