PDA

View Full Version : More taxes on their way

MtnBiker
05-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I saw this one coming;

True, people do not have to buy cigarettes. However people who do choose to buy cigarettes(or any other legal tabacco product) are force to pay a higher price, not because of a market condition but rather because of a tax.

Consumers do not have to buy candybars or carbonated soft drinks, should the same taxes apply to create revenue?

Senators Consider Soda Tax to Help Fund Health Care Overhaul
The Senate Finance Committee is set to hear proposals from about a dozen experts about how to pay for the comprehensive health-care overhaul, including a proposal to tax sugary drinks.

The taxes would pay for only a fraction of the cost to expand health-insurance coverage to all Americans and would face strong opposition from the beverage industry. They also could spark a backlash from consumers who would have to pay several cents more for a soft drink.

On Tuesday, the Senate Finance Committee is set to hear proposals from about a dozen experts about how to pay for the comprehensive health-care overhaul that President Barack Obama wants to enact this year. Early estimates put the cost of the plan at around $1.2 trillion. The administration has so far only earmarked funds for about half of that amount.

full article
(http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/12/senators-consider-soda-tax-help-fund-health-care-overhaul/)

So, why sugary drinks? and also even if such a tax is implemented it still will only provide a fraction of the cost. Ok, what other products can be taxed, how about beef? The UN has told us that cattle are some of the biggest contributors to global warming so not only can feedlots be taxed on the cap and trade scheme the consumer could be tax more for buying food that contributes to higher colesterol levels.

BTW, the 1.2 trillon estimate in conjunction with this year's 1.8 trillion deficit, wow can everybody see where this is headed. Even the class envy crowd should realize that if you taxed all of the "rich" people of this nation at 100% there still isn't enough to pay for everything.

Insein
05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Saw this too. Now the people saying "it doesn't affect me I don't care" to cigarettes now suddenly will care when Soda costs $5 for a 6 pack, $10 for a 12 pack and those 20oz in the machine will suddenly be $3. Then why stop there. Red meat will be next to be taxed. Then trans fats. So on and so forth until we drive businesses away from our market since we are too costly to do business in.

MtnBiker
05-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Then why stop there. Red meat will be next to be taxed. Then trans fats. So on and so forth until we drive businesses away from our market since we are too costly to do business in.

Quite right, the targets for taxable products will continue to grow.

Didn't a presidential canidate last fall claim people earning under 250,000 would not see their taxes increase?

Insein
05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Of course. But he didn't technically lie. Pepsi will see the tax increase and then we will see increased prices for Pepsi products. So convienant the way a liberal's mind works.

glockmail
05-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't care since I drink diet. :eek:

Little-Acorn
05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Let me get this straight.

President Obama doubles Federal spending, and triples borrowing, all in one year, and tells us there will be even more to come.

And there is someone left in this country who thinks that taxes won't go up???

Jeff
05-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Let me get this straight.

President Obama doubles Federal spending, and triples borrowing, all in one year, and tells us there will be even more to come.

And there is someone left in this country who thinks that taxes won't go up???

LOL, yes there are they are called liberals and they will put a spin on the new taxes I am sure

Whats next to be taxed, Hmmm I can remember saying smoking was the start

05-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I suggest a soda protest. Cant raise money for the government if you dont drink soda.

theHawk
05-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Why not just tax everything except bread and water?

MtnBiker
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I suggest a soda protest. Cant raise money for the government if you dont drink soda.

I know several people who depend on soda sells for their income.

Joe Steel
05-12-2009, 12:13 PM

You mean the "Fair Tax?"

MtnBiker
05-12-2009, 12:14 PM

I think that is a good question. Why would we as free citizens want a government that see fit to decide to place a tax on items so they can have more control on how our money is spent.

Trigg
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Well that's just perfect. I already buy off brand soda instead of paying 7-8$ for a case of Coke.

Why not add extra taxes to kool-aid and fruit punches while they're at it. Those things are loaded with sugar so I'm sure they'll be next.

MtnBiker
05-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Well that's just perfect. I already buy off brand soda instead of paying 7-8$ for a case of Coke.

Why not add extra taxes to kool-aid and fruit punches while they're at it. Those things are loaded with sugar so I'm sure they'll be next.

That jogged my memory, have you ever look at the ingredient list for cereal, especially cereal marketed toward kids, loaded with sugar!

Trigg
05-12-2009, 12:41 PM
That jogged my memory, have you ever look at the ingredient list for cereal, especially cereal marketed toward kids, loaded with sugar!

And people wonder why kids are hyper at school. The best thing a parent can do it stay completely away from the chocolate and "cookie" cereals.

Insein
05-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I think the point that we are missing here is that this is America. We are a free country. If we want to eat unhealthy foods, we have the ability to do so. Why are we being taxed on items that are deemed by "someone" to be "unhealthy?" Because its going to cost too much in public health care. Well here, problem solved. No government Health care. Ta Da!

We're going to become a society like the futuristic one in Demolition man.

Trigg
05-12-2009, 12:48 PM
This all reminds me of a short story by Issac Asimov Lipid Leggin.

The story is about the gov. making anything they deemed bad for you illegal and the lengths people would go to get it anyway.

Everyone just needs to sit back and let big brother take over, after all they know what's best. :eek:

MtnBiker
05-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I think the point that we are missing here is that this is America. We are a free country. If we want to eat unhealthy foods, we have the ability to do so. Why are we being taxed on items that are deemed by "someone" to be "unhealthy?" Because its going to cost too much in public health care. Well here, problem solved. No government Health care. Ta Da!

We're going to become a society like the futuristic one in Demolition man.

Agreed, this stems for socialized healthcare. In an earlier thread dealing with smoking and taxes an argument was presented that smoking causes strain on healthcare costs. And again the problem is not smoking it is socialized healthcare and allowing government more control over our lives.

Jeff
05-12-2009, 02:12 PM
And people wonder why kids are hyper at school. The best thing a parent can do it stay completely away from the chocolate and "cookie" cereals.

My wife and I kept the kids away from them for the most part, but then they began school, lol, for breakfast they have a choice of one of those sugar cereals , a honey bun ...ect

All the stuff we kept them away from they can know have for breakfast at school, so we feed them before they go, then they want money to get it anyway cause they are STARVING , lol

AS for the taxes , did we really think Obama was going to stop with just hitting smokers? And it has only just begun, someone has to pay for his spending

Insein
05-12-2009, 02:14 PM
My wife and I kept the kids away from them for the most part, but then they began school, lol, for breakfast they have a choice of one of those sugar cereals , a honey bun ...ect

All the stuff we kept them away from they can know have for breakfast at school, so we feed them before they go, then they want money to get it anyway cause they are STARVING , lol

AS for the taxes , did we really think Obama was going to stop with just hitting smokers? And it has only just begun, EVERYONE has to pay for his spending

Just wanted to make that accurate.

Jeff
05-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Just wanted to make that accurate.

thank you, LOL

Trinity
05-12-2009, 06:10 PM

I don't drink soda. I actually stopped drinking it about 10 years ago. Oh don't get me wrong every once in a blue moon, I will drink one, only if there isn't anything else available that I like.

I started drinking iced tea instead of soda, because I would go through a 2 liter a day by myself very easily, sometimes two. And even then it was expensive.

My husband does drink it though, but he has been slowly weaning himself off of it he had a 6 can a day mountain dew habit. And if he doesn't drink any all day long he has a caffeine headache. He is down to about 3 or 4 a day now.

Kathianne
05-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Quite right, the targets for taxable products will continue to grow.

Didn't a presidential canidate last fall claim people earning under 250,000 would not see their taxes increase?

Indeed. McD's has lowered most of their 'bad' numbers, yet continues to make profits, time to hit them. Wal-Mart too! No succeeding in the 'new and improved' USA.