PDA

View Full Version : So What Is A Trillion Dollars?

Kathianne
05-13-2009, 04:12 AM
I've seen the graphics, read the 'spend a million every day since Christ was born, still have millions left...'

The following gives some idea:

www.washingtonexaminer.com >> Politics >> - Obama’s dangerous budget leaves GOP at loss for words (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Obamas-dangerous-budget-leaves-GOP-at-loss-for-words-44754742.html)

Obama’s dangerous budget leaves GOP at loss for words

By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
05/12/09 10:23 AM EDT

(AP)
Republican strategists have a problem. The scale of what President Barack Obama proposes to do to the American economy is so enormous, so far-reaching and so potentially disastrous that the opposition party is having a hard time describing it....

...Insensitivity to scope is a major obstacle to understanding the Obama administration’s $3.6 trillion 2010 budget. People simply have trouble understanding a number so big. A recent poll asked Americans how many million are in a trillion. Twenty-one percent of respondents got the answer right — it’s a million million. Most people thought it was a lot less.

Republicans are facing that obstacle as they try to explain the dimensions of Obama’s spending plan. The GOP pollster told me he tries to explain it by asking people to think of a dollar as a second — one dollar, one brief tick of your watch. A million seconds, the pollster explained, equals eleven days. A billion seconds equals 31 years. And a trillion seconds equals 310 centuries.

The task of educating voters got a little more urgent Monday, when the government announced the not-terribly-surprising news that federal tax revenues will be smaller this year than previously thought. After a review of the Obama budget’s numbers before formal submission to Congress, Budget Director Peter Orszag said this year’s deficit will be $1.841 trillion — $89 billion more than previously estimated. If you’re listening to the ticks of your watch, that’s about 570 centuries.

You may remember last week that Obama proposed, with much fanfare, $17 billion in budget cuts. Now, his budget director announces that the deficit will go up by $89 billion. “A paperwork change increased the size of the deficit more than five times greater than the savings they proposed last week,” one key Republican Senate aide told me. The deficit will likely grow again in a few months when the budget office does a routine midyear review.

And it will grow bigger still if Obama’s remarkably optimistic predictions for the economy don’t pan out. On Monday the White House forecast that the economy will be growing at a 3.5 percent annual rate by the end of this year. That’s a nice growth rate in a non-recession year. But now? After the economy shrank at an annual rate of 6.1 percent in the first quarter? “They say we’re going to have almost a 10-point swing in the span of six months,” the GOP aide told me. “That’s a really rosy scenario.”...