PDA

View Full Version : Disney opens weddings to gay couples

LiberalNation
04-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Good for Disney.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070406/ap_on_re_us/disney_gay_weddings;_ylt=Aph8mbfUE0yzrN8YFs8a2Dpvz wcF

LOS ANGELES - Same-sex couples who want to exchange vows in front of Cinderella's Castle now have the chance.

The Walt Disney Co. had limited its Fairy Tale Wedding program to couples with valid marriage licenses, but it is now making ceremonies at its parks available to gay couples as well.

"We believe this change is consistent with Disney's long-standing policy of welcoming every guest in an inclusive environment," Disney Parks and Resorts spokesman Donn Walker said Friday. "We want everyone who comes to celebrate a special occasion at Disney to feel welcome and respected."

The company said it made the change after being contacted by a gay couple who wanted to use the wedding service, which offers ceremonies at Disneyland in California, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disney's cruise ships.

The service offers flowers, dining, music and many optional Disney touches, from ceremonies in front of the parks' iconic attractions to having Mickey and Minnie Mouse in formal wear as guests. The packages start at $8,000 and can cost more than $45,000.

Groups not affiliated with Disney have held annual "gay days" celebrations at Disney parks for years. Company officials have taken a tolerant attitude to the weekend, allowing party promoters to rent out parks after hours and rebuffing religious groups that condemned Disney.

In 2005, Southern Baptists ended an eight-year boycott of the Walt Disney Co. for violating "moral righteousness and traditional family values."

darin
04-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Will re-enforce my decision to 'not' support Disney...except ABC which shows "Lost"

:D

KitchenKitten99
04-06-2007, 03:14 PM
I guess if they feel there is a market for this, as a private business, it is their right. I am not going to deprive my children of a visit to Disneyworld (in about 5-6 years) by throwing politics into it. They have no knowledge of what being 'gay' means and if they saw two guys kissing while there, I would just tell them the guys are just being silly. They will have plenty of time to understand what it really means when they are older.

While I don't agree with the whole gay marriage part, the ceremonies aren't binding by law, so it isn't as if they are Disney has somehow changed the current laws all by themselves. The couple would just be paying for all the pomp & circumstance. Let Disney make their money off them for all I care.

I coordinate weddings and create custom formalwear, and if a gay couple wanted me to assist with their ceremony, I would do it. Why? Because they are customers and I prefer my business be known for my services and the quality at which I provide them, not my personal beliefs.

Mr. P
04-06-2007, 03:30 PM
LN, you understand this is a business decision, right?

LiberalNation
04-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Right, it will make them money. Still has it's own benifits political benifits in promoting gay marriage.

Mr. P
04-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Right, it will make them money. Still has it's own benifits political benifits in promoting gay marriage.

I doubt they see it as promoting anything except profits.

LiberalNation
04-06-2007, 04:10 PM
That doesn't matter, the promotion is there even if it was not their main intention.

Dilloduck
04-06-2007, 04:22 PM
That doesn't matter, the promotion is there even if it was not their main intention.

If gays want to pretend to be married, I can't think of a better place to do it than the land-of-make-believe.

Roomy
04-06-2007, 04:37 PM
I am with Libby on this one, much to her dismay (probably).:cheers2:

04-06-2007, 05:39 PM
If gays want to pretend to be married, I can't think of a better place to do it than the land-of-make-believe.

I was thinking the same thing...

Roomy
04-06-2007, 05:40 PM
It isn't marriage, it is a civil union.

Abbey Marie
04-06-2007, 05:44 PM

:laugh2:

Roomy
04-06-2007, 05:52 PM
The sanctity of marriage is safe for now and this is a non argument.

Abbey Marie
04-06-2007, 06:08 PM
It's an attempt to influence children to see it as normal as apple pie. If gays can pretend to be married at squeaky-clean Disney, it must be ok.

Roomy
04-06-2007, 06:11 PM
It's an attempt to influence children to see it as normal as apple pie. If gays can pretend to be married at squeaky-clean Disney, it must be ok.

I think you can teach your children otherwise, if it floats your boat.

Mr. P
04-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Do you really think Disney would do that?

04-06-2007, 08:35 PM

Is there anything Disney wouldnt do for a buck?

grunt
04-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I suggest you all read up on Disney's gay policies. They are probably the most pro-gay corp in the country. They give all of their gay employees benefits for their "live" in lovers. etc....

OCA
04-06-2007, 08:48 PM

Why don't you explain to us why you support "special rights" for homosexual lifestyle choicers?

Mr. P
04-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Is there anything Disney wouldnt do for a buck?

Well since Walt died, I guess not. It's all about $$$$.

krisy
04-06-2007, 09:32 PM
What I think is absolutely absurd are gay days. What is that?A special day for someone's sexuality. Do they celebrate hetero day? It's just stupid....really.

No one NEEDS to know another's sexuality. What would gay people do if we had hetero parades and special days for people that like the opposite sex? That would have no point. We do not need homosexuals letting us all know that their...homosexual.

I don't hate them or anything like that,but why do we need to who they are sleeping with....just why?

KitchenKitten99
04-06-2007, 09:57 PM
What I think is absolutely absurd are gay days. What is that?A special day for someone's sexuality. Do they celebrate hetero day? It's just stupid....really.

No one NEEDS to know another's sexuality. What would gay people do if we had hetero parades and special days for people that like the opposite sex? That would have no point. We do not need homosexuals letting us all know that their...homosexual.

I don't hate them or anything like that,but why do we need to who they are sleeping with....just why?

actually, what they do is shut down the park to those not cool with the gay thing, and that way the homos have free reign to display their affection in public (non sexual of course) without parents getting upset at children witnessing this. Honestly, I don't like special days based on peoples' sexual preferences, but in this case, maybe they have a good thing going. The park is open 365. Honestly, I would rather have them have their own day to do whatever, when the rest of us have the rest of the year.

Abbey Marie
04-07-2007, 12:10 AM
actually, what they do is shut down the park to those not cool with the gay thing, and that way the homos have free reign to display their affection in public (non sexual of course) without parents getting upset at children witnessing this. Honestly, I don't like special days based on peoples' sexual preferences, but in this case, maybe they have a good thing going. The park is open 365. Honestly, I would rather have them have their own day to do whatever, when the rest of us have the rest of the year.

I just hope they really clean the bathrooms after gay day. Can you imagine all the hook-ups with a whole park full of gays?

Abbey Marie
04-07-2007, 12:14 AM

I guess I do. With it's TV and movie work, isn't Disney an extension of Hollywood at this point?

LiberalNation
04-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Why don't you explain to us why you support "special rights" for homosexual lifestyle choicers?

Equal rights. Everyone would get the right to marry the person of their choice regardless of gender. Even you could marry someone of the same sex. It wouldn't be just a special right only gays can enjoy.

OCA
04-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Equal rights. Everyone would get the right to marry the person of their choice regardless of gender. Even you could marry someone of the same sex. It wouldn't be just a special right only gays can enjoy.

They already enjoy every inalienable right that you and I enjoy from birth, by allowing them to break a law, a law based on the "LIFESTYLE CHOICE" they knowingly made you are in fact creating "SPECIAL RIGHTS" for these people.

Hey I got a neighbor i'd like to murder, I think I was born a murderer so maybe I can get the law changed, you know......because I can't help it.