PDA

View Full Version : Passing music on to your kids

gabosaurus
05-19-2009, 11:14 AM
I was interested in what musical tastes you have chosen to pass on to your kids. And which of those they have rejected.

Over the mild objections of my husband, I took my daughter to see a couple of shows by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Danielle listens to Bruce a lot at home, so I figured she might enjoy it.
Which she did. Both shows pushed three hours, and my daughter was really into it. The first night, we went with my parents, and we had three generations of fun.
My daughter dislikes heavy metal though. My dad and I are a bit dismayed.

Sitarro
05-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I was interested in what musical tastes you have chosen to pass on to your kids. And which of those they have rejected.

Over the mild objections of my husband, I took my daughter to see a couple of shows by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Danielle listens to Bruce a lot at home, so I figured she might enjoy it.
Which she did. Both shows pushed three hours, and my daughter was really into it. The first night, we went with my parents, and we had three generations of fun.

Bruce Springsteen sucks, he's always sucked and you should be arrested under child cruelty laws for forcing that hack's shit on your kid....... you should be ashamed. It's OK for you to be an imbecile, to vote for the destruction of what we know as the United States.... you're a jerk and a naive ditz for it, but it is your right to be an idiot. You don't have the right to destroy your kids mind though, just because you have no taste.

Mr. P
05-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Now that's a indication she has good "musical" taste/appreciation.

You've heard my story on teaching this subject. It is after all about teaching not imposing ones own tastes. It gets close to imposing though.

PostmodernProphet
05-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I found it amusing to hear my kids listening to remixes of old songs....and the look on their faces when I played them the originals and they discovered they were listening to some of MY favorites.....

Trigg
05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Whenever we go camping we play country, and not the "new" country. We play Patsy Cline, Dolly, Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn. The kids laughed and grumbled a bit, but now they get a kick out of the old songs and sing along. We also have an old tape of Ray Stevens that the kids know by heart.

I always hated listening to that growing up, but now it's fun to sing along with the kids.

Other than that my daughter likes Coldplay and bands like that. My son perfers that old 80's hair band ballads.

At the end of the day they'll pick what they want. The only thing I'll turn the station off of is rap.

chloe
05-19-2009, 06:08 PM
My oldest daughter likes 80's music & new age enya stuff, which is what her dad listens to, from me she likes david bowie, guns n roses, pink floyd, queen, Jay-z on her own she likes death metal and punk.

My youngest daughter likes Jazz, Piano, Guns n roses, Rap from me none of her Dads music, and on her own she likes Pop Dance, Punk & Techno....

gabosaurus
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Bruce Springsteen sucks, he's always sucked and you should be arrested under child cruelty laws for forcing that hack's shit on your kid....... you should be ashamed. It's OK for you to be an imbecile, to vote for the destruction of what we know as the United States.... you're a jerk and a naive ditz for it, but it is your right to be an idiot. You don't have the right to destroy your kids mind though, just because you have no taste.
:laugh2:
Please tell me that you do NOT have kids. Though I would hope that God would not be cruel enough to inflict someone like you on an innocent child.

Noir
05-20-2009, 12:26 PM
My mum and I have pretty similar music taste, between Morrissey, the killers, radiohead and quite allot of Mod (small faces, Secret Affair ect) which I guess was passed on, but I have since gone into more ska (Cat Empire, the toasters, the slackers ect)

Don't have much of a music conection to me dad though.

gabosaurus
05-20-2009, 02:18 PM
My parents were both very involved with music. The TV was rarely on in our house. The stereo was ALWAYS on.
I was always a daddy's girl. Our father-daughter bonding experiences consisted primarily of shopping for music on Saturday or Sunday. I loved sitting around listening to music with my dad.

I am raising my dad the same way. She has independently developed a love for the blues and songs with heavy keyboards. I have taken her to see Crosby, Stills and Nash and Springsteen, both of which she enjoyed immensely.
My daughter gets a lot of influences. She can stay with my mom and listen to singer-songwriters of the 60's and 70, or go to my husband's parents and hear classical, jazz and opera.
My sister and her husband listen to a lot of Latin pop and rock, so my daughter hears that when she stays with them.

dan
05-20-2009, 02:29 PM
My mum and I have pretty similar music taste, between Morrissey, the killers, radiohead and quite allot of Mod (small faces, Secret Affair ect) which I guess was passed on, but I have since gone into more ska (Cat Empire, the toasters, the slackers ect)

Don't have much of a music conection to me dad though.

I went through a big ska phase in high school, but it was all American ska bands (blasphemy, I know): Reel Big Fish, No Doubt, Save Ferris, etc. I still like that stuff okay, but like I said, it was a phase.

The mod scene is most definitely a European thing, I don't even think I knew what 'mod' meant until I got to college and saw some mods, who were probably just as clueless as me.

Mr. P
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Someone tell an ole guy...what the heck is "SKA" ????

glockmail
05-20-2009, 03:25 PM

My daughter dislikes heavy metal though. My dad and I are a bit dismayed. Both my kids took band in Middle School, loved it, and both started in high school. Unfortunately when my son was a sophomore they hired a new assistant band teacher that a lot of the kids could not stand. I had no problem with him whatsoever and he seemed like a nice gentlemen during the concerts, but my son told me he didn't act that way in class. He soldiered through the year and didn't take band his junior year. Then my daughter joined as a freshman but she hates the guy too, and says that he's "two faced", so she's not taking the course as a sophomore. There's been an attrition of kids in the system and I suspect it's because of this one guy.

They can't fire him of course because he's got tenure of course, but nobody complains because he's gay...

Noir
05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Someone tell an ole guy...what the heck is "SKA" ????

Ska, also known as two-tone (due to the wearing of two-tone suits) came after the mod era, dunno how to describe it really, kinda a mix between Mod and Regge. (I do believe it is also the combo of mod&regge, or more bluntly white and black music that lead to the common social theme behind ska, black and white unite.)
You'd be best to look up the bands for an explination of what it is, I'd recomend the Cat Empire, it's impossible to listen to them without tapping a foot or two.

Sitarro
05-21-2009, 03:30 AM
:laugh2:
Please tell me that you do NOT have kids. Though I would hope that God would not be cruel enough to inflict someone like you on an innocent child.

Never been interested in kids, can't stand most of the little shits....... why would I want one? I would much rather spend time with animals.

chloe
05-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Never been interested in kids, can't stand most of the little shits....... why would I want one? I would much rather spend time with animals.

sometimes kids are like animals, especially in the teenage years....or maybe its just the ones that hang at my house:cool:

gabosaurus
05-21-2009, 09:52 AM
I would much rather spend time with animals.

Unfortunately, the animals don't have a choice. :p

crin63
05-21-2009, 10:59 AM
My daughter picked up her music listening from my wife mostly. From Sinatra to Rascal Flats to Celtic Thunder and classical. She seems to like Celtic music the best right now.

I don't want her listening to the stuff I listened to which was mostly heavy metal. GNR was my all time favorite.

gabosaurus
05-21-2009, 03:17 PM
I will pass on Sinatra and Celtic music. My husband is a huge fan of Hayley Westenra, though. My daughter is not a fan of "screeching music" though.

OK, this will determine how old you are. Or perhaps how old your music tastes are.
My daughter was at my husband's parents house and they began playing some vintage era music -- the Rat Pack, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne and such. Danielle goes into the kitchen and asks her grandmother "Is that what old people used to listen to?" :p

Mr. P
05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
I will pass on Sinatra and Celtic music. My husband is a huge fan of Hayley Westenra, though. My daughter is not a fan of "screeching music" though.

OK, this will determine how old you are. Or perhaps how old your music tastes are.
My daughter was at my husband's parents house and they began playing some vintage era music -- the Rat Pack, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne and such. Danielle goes into the kitchen and asks her grandmother "Is that what old people used to listen to?" :p

Yeah, it's called music...not noise you can't understand or appreciate. Try it, you'll like it.

Kathianne
05-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Gabby, nice to see you again. If that is your daughter, she's adorable.

My ex played in bands, wrote music, really quite talented with that. My mom's side of the family too. Those that weren't politicians, policemen, or lawyers, tended to be in music/drama. Don't ask, :laugh2:

My daughter was as gifted musically as her younger brother was academically. From the time she was 4 months old, she could mimic sounds and pitch perfectly. By 2.5 years, she could play all the usual children's songs on a Fischer-Price Cookie Monster Piano: Mary had a Little Lamb; ABC's; Twinkle, Twinkle; Pop Goes the Weasel; Blue Danube; Austrian Waltz; etc. By three we'd gotten a piano, no lessons yet, she could play anything she heard by ear.

We had home intercom, there was always something on it: jazz, blues, rock, pop, symphonies, everything and anything. She started piano lessons at 6, drums at 8, viola at 10. Her youngest brother became quite good at cello, the middle son, well let's just say his trumpet lessons left all begging for mercy!

She sings professionally now, she also holds a degree in music education along with performance. Her main 'instrument' is her voice. She is best at opera and jazz. All 3 kids enjoy all sorts of music, though the middle one is very much 'my son' when it comes to musical talent. ;)

We always took the kids to concerts, musicals, as well as orchestras by the time they were 7 or 8. I think that expanded their appreciation for the arts, as well as music.

Sitarro
05-22-2009, 01:43 AM
Unfortunately, the animals don't have a choice. :p

That's true, the hawks, owls and assorted other hurt birds I force fed when I was with a rehab group had no choice, they were badly injured or in shock but needed to eat to get better. I was able to release 85% of the birds I handled, maybe they appreciated what I did for them but they never showed it. The baby Barn Owl that I picked up road kill for, was able to grow into a beautiful adult before I released him without imprinting him...... he needed that fur and guts to grow correctly. Not the nicest stuff to deal with but I would much rather do that than change diapers.

gabosaurus
05-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Sitarro, I am sure the few women in your life appreciate your devotion to animals.

Binky
06-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Personally, I love doo wop, 50's and 60's, Swing, big band, sacred, some country, lite classical, some lite jazz and some blues. Some opera and I also enjoy certain reggae. I brought my kids up on it and now my grandaughters enjoy a lot of what I like.

Thinking about it, I would have to say that lite classical and lite opera are my favorites. Then doo wop and 50's and 60's. The classical and opera fills up my heart and soul and I come away a much better person after listening to them. They make me feel more relaxed and at ease with the world.

I can't really get into heavy classical and heavy opera as they are too brooding for my tastes. They sound dark. I like the lighter ones as they are uplifting. I would recommend everyone step outside their box and try out some of this type of music.