PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear energy?

MtnBiker
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
With our growing need for energy should the US persue more nuclear energy?

Nukeman
05-21-2009, 06:21 PM
With our growing need for energy should the US persue more nuclear energy?
HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only would this elevate our dependence on foreign oil, it would also help us with our medical cost and issues.

You see in the medical community there are these things called "isotopes' that are used for the diagnosis and treatment of a number of illnesses. These "isotopes" are manufactured in REACTORS. OUR DOE decided about 15 years ago (deep in Clinton presidency) that we didn't need any new reactors to produce these drugs low-and-behold they were wrong.

The Chalk River nuclear reactor in Canada is the primary source for a isotope called Molybdenum this a parent drug for Technetium 99m that is used in most imaging agents. Chalk river make about 50% of the worlds Molly. They are OFF LINE again for about a month this time. this is the THIRD time this year alone. They also go on strike every 2 years because they know the have the world and the US by the balls.

This shortage will affect the ENTIRE world for the coming month if not longer. Chalk River is almost 60 YEARS OLD, it is falling apart and our government doesn't even care. They can't see beyond the end of some quake environmentalists with false information nose......

Don't be surprised if you get a taste of government run health care over the coming months by the way of "rationing" drugs!!!

glockmail
05-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Should and will are two opposite things. On this one issue we should be like France.

Kathianne
05-21-2009, 07:00 PM
I agree with the two previous posters! Yes, even about copying France.

KSigMason
05-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Zoning of proposed nuclear plant a hot issue

MOUNTAIN HOME - An energy company looking to build a nuclear plant in Elmore County was the subject of a public hearing in Mountain Home Wednesday.

It has been nearly 40 years since construction began on America's last nuclear power plant.

Wednesday’s hearing was not about the pros and cons of nuclear power – instead focused on zoning of the land the plant would stand on

SOURCE (http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-apr2309-nuclear_plant_hearing.10288afc7.html)
I would like to see a Nuclear Plant come to Idaho. The jobs. The electricity.

We already have the INL. Fun little fact about the INL:

The world's first usable amount of electricity from nuclear energy was generated in Idaho in 1951.
I am for continuing research into other energy producing methods, but while we have this why not use it? I think we could use wind energy pretty effectively out around Mtn. Home since there are several high wind areas out that way.

Mr. P
05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
We have two in Georgia...Two more would be fine.

MtnBiker
05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
I would like to see a Nuclear Plant come to Idaho. The jobs. The electricity.

That is a good point, Obama is always mentioning "green collar" jobs. Well building and operation nuclear plants will certianly create jobs!

Kathianne
05-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Illinois has 6. Took my classes to Byron in February, very cool and the kids were impressed with the 'green aspects', not to mention the dealing head on with Three Mile Island and the response afterwards, even though no radiation escaped.

Going out Sunday with an engineer from there. If I learn more, I'll report. ;)

MtnBiker
05-26-2009, 06:15 PM
No opposition to nuclear energy? hmmm.......

Insein
05-27-2009, 08:18 AM
I live within 15 miles of one in Limerick, PA. Its been there for as long as I can remember.

glockmail
05-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Going out Sunday with an engineer from there. If I learn more, I'll report. ;) Hot date? :poke: