PDA

View Full Version : The NYT Noticing The Obama Straw Men?

Kathianne
05-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Who'd have thunk it? :eek:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/us/politics/24straw.html?_r=1

May 24, 2009
WHITE HOUSE MEMO
Some Obama Enemies Are Made Totally of Straw

By HELENE COOPER
WASHINGTON — Democrats often complained about President George W. Bush’s frequent use of a rhetorical device as old as rhetoric itself: creating the illusion of refuting an opponent’s argument by mischaracterizing it and then knocking down that mischaracterization.

There was much outrage in 2006, for example, when Mr. Bush said that when it came to battling terrorists, “I need members of Congress who understand that you can’t negotiate with these folks,” implying that Democrats backed talks with Al Qaeda. That assertion was promptly, and angrily, disputed by Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts.

Now that there is a new team at the White House, guess who is knocking down straw men left and right? To listen to President Obama, a veritable army of naysayers has invaded Washington, urging him to sit on his hands at the White House and do nothing to address any of the economic or national security problems facing the country.

“There are those who say these plans are too ambitious, that we should be trying to do less, not more,” Mr. Obama told a town-hall-style meeting in Costa Mesa, Calif., on March 18. “Well, I say our challenges are too large to ignore.”

Mr. Obama did not specify who, exactly, was saying America should ignore its challenges....

April15
05-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Who'd have thunk it? :eek:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/us/politics/24straw.html?_r=1
The republicans are the naysayers. It is very obvious to anyone who isn't . I forgot most here are so why bother.

Kathianne
05-24-2009, 06:32 PM
The republicans are the naysayers. It is very obvious to anyone who isn't . I forgot most here are so why bother.

Send a letter to the editor.

05-24-2009, 07:09 PM
But there were Democrats suggesting we need to use diplomacy with Al Qeada during the Bush administration. How is that a straw man?

Silver
05-24-2009, 07:27 PM
But there were Democrats suggesting we need to use diplomacy with Al Qeada during the Bush administration. How is that a straw man?

Exactly....