PDA

View Full Version : changing Political Parties

chloe
05-26-2009, 06:29 PM
When I was young I was a Democrat and then as I got older I switched to Republican views, later on I switched to Independant. How many of you have changed your political beliefs as you aged? It's very hard for me to support any candidate 100% because I am conservative financially but liberal in civil rights. Does anyone else feel this way?

MtnBiker
05-26-2009, 06:31 PM
When I was young I was a Democrat and then as I got older I switched to Republican views, later on I switched to Independant. How many of you have changed your political beliefs as you aged? It's very hard for me to support any candidate 100% because I am conservative financially but liberal in civil rights. Does anyone else feel this way?

Do you mean a political party 100% or a candidate 100%?

chloe
05-26-2009, 06:32 PM
how about both?

MtnBiker
05-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Well I suppose you could support opposing candidates at the same time, however you can only vote for one.

chloe
05-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Well I suppose you could support opposing candidates at the same time, however you can only vote for one.

ha ha ...at times it is a dillema for me. But in the end I usually go for the one who matches my fiscal beliefs the closest.

April15
05-26-2009, 06:56 PM
When I was young I was a Democrat and then as I got older I switched to Republican views, later on I switched to Independant. How many of you have changed your political beliefs as you aged? It's very hard for me to support any candidate 100% because I am conservative financially but liberal in civil rights. Does anyone else feel this way?My political beliefs are in constant flux. I registered first as republican in 68. Then I didn't like what was going on so i registered Demo. Been that way since. Having been true to my core beliefs as a youth there has been no reason to change as an adult. Just because i wave with all fingers to most police instead of a single digit now doesn't mean I like everything they do but rather an acknowledgment of what they do I don't see.

Kathianne
05-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Chloe, probably no one on the board has been as weird as myself. I was brought up by my parents, as were most of us. My folks, from West and Northwest side of Chicago were raised Democrats, from their immigrant Irish parents. My mom at 18 went to vote, the alderman promised her $10 for voting Democrat. She took the money and voted Republican.

My dad? Well, seems he wasn't offered jack, but voted Democrat. Then they met after the war. They married. He followed her lead with IKE and then the switch with the Irish/Catholic JFK. They both worked on his campaign. Last Democrat vote for either.

I broke with Nixon, I wanted him impeached! Was outraged when he resigned and was pardoned. Lots of fights with my mom, my dad, true to form, was like, 'Politicians come and go, let sleeping dogs lie.' Didn't get that, not then, not now.

PostmodernProphet
05-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I campaigned for McGovern....voted for Carter......after Carter's administration I voted for Reagan and have voted Republican ever since.....

I was raised by Democrats.....

PostmodernProphet
05-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Having been true to my core beliefs as a youth there has been no reason to change as an adult.

not even maturity?......

April15
05-26-2009, 07:36 PM
not even maturity?......I was very mature at an early age.

PostmodernProphet
05-26-2009, 07:40 PM
liberal in civil rights

I am curious what someone who is "liberal in civil rights" believes......

I guess I am "conservative" in civil rights...I believe in equality between races and sexes.....

PostmodernProphet
05-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I was very mature at an early age.

then what happened?.....

hjmick
05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I have been and remain a "registered" Republican since I became eligible to vote. Over the years, however, I find myself more of an Independent/Liberertarian in my beliefs. This is especially true as the GOP moves further away from the ideals that drew me to their tent originally.

April15
05-26-2009, 07:53 PM
then what happened?.....Every one else got stupid!

chloe
05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Chloe, probably no one on the board has been as weird as myself. I was brought up by my parents, as were most of us. My folks, from West and Northwest side of Chicago were raised Democrats, from their immigrant Irish parents. My mom at 18 went to vote, the alderman promised her $10 for voting Democrat. She took the money and voted Republican.

My dad? Well, seems he wasn't offered jack, but voted Democrat. Then they met after the war. They married. He followed her lead with IKE and then the switch with the Irish/Catholic JFK. They both worked on his campaign. Last Democrat vote for either.

I broke with Nixon, I wanted him impeached! Was outraged when he resigned and was pardoned. Lots of fights with my mom, my dad, true to form, was like, 'Politicians come and go, let sleeping dogs lie.' Didn't get that, not then, not now.

My mother for the most part has always been Independant, My Step Dad a staunch republican, very conservative. my Real dad ( a loser) he probably never voted in his life, he is one of those types that talks about injustices and makes no real contribution to enhance his life or anyone elses. he he....

crin63
05-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Both my parents were and have always been Conservative Republicans. As soon as a better fit comes along they will jump ship from the Republican Party.

I was sent to political summer camp a couple times in my mid-teens. I started going to political meetings, rally's and functions when I was 13 and hated every minute of it. I read the Federalist Papers when I was about 14. I went to all the tax protest meetings and functions of 2 or 3 different organizations until I was about 18 or 19.

I am a Originalist Conservative politically. I always have been and always will be. I'm currently registered Republican because of their pro-life stand. I'm more of a Libertarian than a Republican but until the LP changes its official position on abortion, gay rights and a couple other issues I will stay in another party.

chloe
05-27-2009, 07:16 AM
I am curious what someone who is "liberal in civil rights" believes......

I guess I am "conservative" in civil rights...I believe in equality between races and sexes.....

I believe in equality just like you.

PostmodernProphet
05-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I believe in equality just like you.

then how do you know you aren't conservative on civil rights, hmmmmmm?......

chloe
05-27-2009, 06:22 PM
then how do you know you aren't conservative on civil rights, hmmmmmm?......

I support gay couples having legal benefits of marriage.

PostmodernProphet
05-27-2009, 07:16 PM
then that would have been a better answer for #17

emmett
05-27-2009, 10:03 PM
I support gay couples having legal benefits of marriage.

Do you believe we should pay one's SS benefits to the survivor even though they cannot have children?

Do you think gay couples insurance should be higher than "traditional" married peoples or should we pay higher rates because of the obvious rate of AIDS among gays?

Just curious.

April15
05-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Do you believe we should pay one's SS benefits to the survivor even though they cannot have children?

Do you think gay couples insurance should be higher than "traditional" married peoples or should we pay higher rates because of the obvious rate of AIDS among gays?

Just curious.You do need to get out more often. Heteros are not immune to AIDS. Monogamy does radically reduce the incidence of aquisition. It is the multiple partner sex maniac that spreads the STD.
Would that be the death benefit you refer to? It is my understanding that my wife will get ss death benefit when i die and we have no children in common. I think stupid peoples insurance should be lower as stupid people cancel themselfs much earlier in life. A side effect of stupid.

emmett
05-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Both my parents were and have always been Conservative Republicans. As soon as a better fit comes along they will jump ship from the Republican Party.

I was sent to political summer camp a couple times in my mid-teens. I started going to political meetings, rally's and functions when I was 13 and hated every minute of it. I read the Federalist Papers when I was about 14. I went to all the tax protest meetings and functions of 2 or 3 different organizations until I was about 18 or 19.

I am a Originalist Conservative politically. I always have been and always will be. I'm currently registered Republican because of their pro-life stand. I'm more of a Libertarian than a Republican but until the LP changes its official position on abortion, gay rights and a couple other issues I will stay in another party.

You know that those things will never happen. The Libertarian Party could not be what it is if it adopted those stances.

Crin...I like you am staunchly opposed to abortion. I believe you know the story about my son and his wife who got pregnate when only young teenagers. I was the only grandparent who refused to accept "options". There are no options to me. On the other hand I believe that government should not make laws concerning family. Today each time I see one of those grandparents doting over our Lexi i think of that time years ago. I try and not be bitter however because no "options" were exercised.

The Libertarian Partydoes not necessarily condone Abortion. They just don't believe as I don't that government should have a hand in deciding these things. They shouldn't. At the most, states should decide these things if at all.

Again with gays. Freedom of choice. This is the base of our beliefs. Absolute freedom. You can't have it two ways. I don't support social security rights for them and neither does the Libertarian Party. I don't necessarily think the LP supports government recognized marriage of gays either. They simply don't believe government should have a hand in it either. Simple really. Its not like it is going to stop because it is against the law. Would it be your suggestion to lock up gays? Troubling area isn't it. I say screw it...don't deal with it at all. However...don't teach my kids that Heather has two mommies and it is OK! THAT...I have a problem with. I can be a Libertarian and think this way. I do it every day.

One can't just pick what part of absolute freedom they want to endorse. It is what it is. We already have seen what happens when government gets involved, one little issue at a time until we have what we have now.

Have you had 5StringJeff explain his version of these topics to you? If not you should because he can do it way better than I. The LP needs support from guys like you. Nothing is etched in stone and I think maybe all parties are subject to alter their agenda when the right people get involved. 10 years ago i would have bet against our party modifying their open borders policy but guess what....they did!

:salute:

PostmodernProphet
05-28-2009, 06:50 AM
I think stupid peoples insurance should be lower as stupid people cancel themselfs much earlier in life. A side effect of stupid.

if that were true, liberals wouldn't have dominated government for fifty years......they wouldn't have lived long enough to gain power......

chloe
05-28-2009, 07:35 AM

Just curious.

1. Yes, should infertile women get SS benefits even though they couldn't have children?

2. Do smokers pay higher rates? Do heroin addicts who risk contracting aids from dirty needles pay higher rates? Do we pay higher rates because of them?

PostmodernProphet
05-28-2009, 09:24 AM
I never knew SS benefits were intended to encourage having children.....I always thought they were intended to keep old people alive

crin63
05-28-2009, 10:27 AM
You know that those things will never happen. The Libertarian Party could not be what it is if it adopted those stances.

Crin...I like you am staunchly opposed to abortion.

The Libertarian Partydoes not necessarily condone Abortion. They just don't believe as I don't that government should have a hand in deciding these things. They shouldn't. At the most, states should decide these things if at all.

Again with gays. Freedom of choice. This is the base of our beliefs. Absolute freedom. You can't have it two ways. I don't support social security rights for them and neither does the Libertarian Party. I don't necessarily think the LP supports government recognized marriage of gays either. They simply don't believe government should have a hand in it either. Simple really. Its not like it is going to stop because it is against the law. Would it be your suggestion to lock up gays? Troubling area isn't it. I say screw it...don't deal with it at all. However...don't teach my kids that Heather has two mommies and it is OK! THAT...I have a problem with. I can be a Libertarian and think this way. I do it every day.

One can't just pick what part of absolute freedom they want to endorse. It is what it is. We already have seen what happens when government gets involved, one little issue at a time until we have what we have now.

:salute:

I know we have had this conversation before but it was mostly to answer Chloe's question. I have tremendous respect for you and 5stringJeff as well as most of your positions. We are just at an impasse on these items.

I think the federal government has the duty to ban abortion, as its primary function is to protect the lives of Americans. There is no greater attack against Americans than the butchers who perform abortion. If any other country killed that many Americans we would be at war with them.

Absolute freedom for homosexuals means allowing them to prey on our children. That means we have to give them access to our children so they can pervert their minds and seduce them in our schools. They are predators looking for who they can devour. I've seen it. I saw how they drooled over children like animals in heat. I know how they threatened to rape the children of anyone who opposed them.

Respectfully Emmet, there is no absolute freedom and can never be absolute freedom. There has to be limitations on freedom otherwise murder and rape would have to be acceptable as freedoms. Child molestation would have to be acceptable as an absolute freedom.

Freedom is limited to what you can do without impacting another person adversely. The determining factor is what do we consider adverse and then how do we deal with it.

I consider butchering the unborn, adverse. I also consider homosexuality as adverse because they seek to get our children.

emmett
05-28-2009, 10:37 AM
1. Yes, should infertile women get SS benefits even though they couldn't have children?

2. Do smokers pay higher rates? Do heroin addicts who risk contracting aids from dirty needles pay higher rates? Do we pay higher rates because of them?

Yes..smokers do pay higher rates. around 37% higher.

emmett
05-28-2009, 11:00 AM
I know we have had this conversation before but it was mostly to answer Chloe's question. I have tremendous respect for you and 5stringJeff as well as most of your positions. We are just at an impasse on these items.

I think the federal government has the duty to ban abortion, as its primary function is to protect the lives of Americans. There is no greater attack against Americans than the butchers who perform abortion. If any other country killed that many Americans we would be at war with them.

Absolute freedom for homosexuals means allowing them to prey on our children. That means we have to give them access to our children so they can pervert their minds and seduce them in our schools. They are predators looking for who they can devour. I've seen it. I saw how they drooled over children like animals in heat. I know how they threatened to rape the children of anyone who opposed them.

Respectfully Emmet, there is no absolute freedom and can never be absolute freedom. There has to be limitations on freedom otherwise murder and rape would have to be acceptable as freedoms. Child molestation would have to be acceptable as an absolute freedom.

Freedom is limited to what you can do without impacting another person adversely. The determining factor is what do we consider adverse and then how do we deal with it.

I consider butchering the unborn, adverse. I also consider homosexuality as adverse because they seek to get our children.

Your points are well taken...as always. Laws are not going stop people from being gay however. As for abortion, your choice of the word "butcher" is most certainly appropriate. Unfortunately is abortion were to be ruled illegal it would take on an even more grotesque meaning and many young girls would be slaughtered as well.

I imagine the Republican Party is going to have to compromise a little bit more of your freedom before you will be ready to make a switch Crin. Maybe if you were to lend emphasis to things like wiretapping, eminant domain and taxation being out of site to support losers you might understand why someone like me, who agrees with you right down the list on issues would walk into a voting booth and "waste" a vote like I do.

I will always believe abortion and homosexuality are wrong. If it were ever put to vote by the citizenry about abortion I would definitely vote to make it illegal. In the meantime one can only make an effort to educate youngsters to abstain from sexual activity which is the best way to avoid abortion in my opinion. I do however think if abortion were illegal it would make older folks more conscious and possibly affect how many take place because people would be less apt to become pregnate. There are many ways to fight the issue. Less involvment ny government to improperly educate about the subject. Maybe if Planned Parenthood would get a life. I think our liberal education system needs to stop this believing they are responsible to teach our children about sex too. This should be the responsibility of parents not government.

Homosexuality isn't going to go away. I tend to agree with one issue on their agenda. While I think it a sick act myself there is no real evidence to suggest that gay lesbian behavior raises a threat to our children. Sick perverted behavior does that. A hetrosexual male that is a sick bastard is just as likely to commit an act of molestation against a little girl as a homo is against a boy. To me this is not an issue of homosexuality when talking child molestation. A grown adult who for whatever reason chooses to engage in homosexual behavior with another grown adult is none of my business, that is the way I see it. When it comes to child molestation, I am for the death penalty, or at the very least, castration. The left has worked hard to protect the "rights" of these individuals through the years and I have a real big problem with that. We have marijuana users in jail who have never hurt anyone but child molestors walking free. I have a real serious problem with that too.

crin63
05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Your points are well taken...as always. Laws are not going stop people from being gay however. As for abortion, your choice of the word "butcher" is most certainly appropriate. Unfortunately is abortion were to be ruled illegal it would take on an even more grotesque meaning and many young girls would be slaughtered as well.

I imagine the Republican Party is going to have to compromise a little bit more of your freedom before you will be ready to make a switch Crin. Maybe if you were to lend emphasis to things like wiretapping, eminant domain and taxation being out of site to support losers you might understand why someone like me, who agrees with you right down the list on issues would walk into a voting booth and "waste" a vote like I do.

I will always believe abortion and homosexuality are wrong. If it were ever put to vote by the citizenry about abortion I would definitely vote to make it illegal. In the meantime one can only make an effort to educate youngsters to abstain from sexual activity which is the best way to avoid abortion in my opinion. I do however think if abortion were illegal it would make older folks more conscious and possibly affect how many take place because people would be less apt to become pregnate. There are many ways to fight the issue. Less involvment ny government to improperly educate about the subject. Maybe if Planned Parenthood would get a life. I think our liberal education system needs to stop this believing they are responsible to teach our children about sex too. This should be the responsibility of parents not government.

Homosexuality isn't going to go away. I tend to agree with one issue on their agenda. While I think it a sick act myself there is no real evidence to suggest that gay lesbian behavior raises a threat to our children. Sick perverted behavior does that. A hetrosexual male that is a sick bastard is just as likely to commit an act of molestation against a little girl as a homo is against a boy. To me this is not an issue of homosexuality when talking child molestation. A grown adult who for whatever reason chooses to engage in homosexual behavior with another grown adult is none of my business, that is the way I see it. When it comes to child molestation, I am for the death penalty, or at the very least, castration. The left has worked hard to protect the "rights" of these individuals through the years and I have a real big problem with that. We have marijuana users in jail who have never hurt anyone but child molestors walking free. I have a real serious problem with that too.

I disagree that homosexuals are not a threat to our children. Since the only possible way for them to propagate is through recruitment that means they have to find new stock (so to speak) from which to choose. The most effective way and the way they choose is by going after our children. While our children are impressionable they bombard them and desensitize them with their propaganda. They make them feel bad for being anti-gay or having anti-gay parents, they portray themselves as normal and natural, they play the part of a victim in order to garner sympathy and all the while they are seducing our childrens minds. A single heterosexual male predator while despicable and I agree castration is a fine option is not a conspired movement to recruit our children. By recruitment they are no less a predator than a heterosexual male who lures children with gifts and candy to get at the child. They are just taking a longer term approach to get the same child.

If abortion were made illegal there would be some girls who would be harmed yes and those who performed the abortions would be prosecuted, but exponentially fewer would be harmed than the ones harmed by abortions now.

chloe
05-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Yes..smokers do pay higher rates. around 37% higher.

so we wouldn't have any higher rate because of a gay couple being married. If they were high risk they would have a higher rate like smokers do. it doesn't effect us in that respect.

chloe
05-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Sick perverted behavior does that. A hetrosexual male that is a sick bastard is just as likely to commit an act of molestation against a little girl as a homo is against a boy. To me this is not an issue of homosexuality when talking child molestation. A grown adult who for whatever reason chooses to engage in homosexual behavior with another grown adult is none of my business, that is the way I see it. When it comes to child molestation, I am for the death penalty, or at the very least, castration. The left has worked hard to protect the "rights" of these individuals through the years and I have a real big problem with that. We have marijuana users in jail who have never hurt anyone but child molestors walking free. I have a real serious problem with that too.

Any torture against child molesters is fine with me.

Trigg
05-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't think I was ever a dem. My parents are both republican and we were raised conservative. Hubby was raised with Democrat parents who were and still are very pro union. Interestingly his brother and sister are also republican.

After I was married we were VERY poor. I worked for an eye Dr. that had a day reserved for Medicaid patients and observed that they had MUCH more than I had and always bitched to me about how we didn't do more for them.

At the time hubby and I were fixing a batch of chili and eating it all week and then having dinner with my parents on the weekend. We alternated with chili one week and hamburger helper the next. We were never on public assistance. After he graduated we didn't eat chili or hamburger helper for at least 4 years.

I don't understand people who stay on public assistance their entire lives and raise their children to join the "system". It is supposed to be temporary assistance, but sadly people have learned to work the system and often stay on the gov. payroll their entire lives.

I see myself as mainly republican, though I don't vote party line and will vote Dem and libertarian if I like the person and feel they are being honest.