PDA

View Full Version : Ireland vacation

Trigg
05-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Noir, or anyone else who's been there, maybe you can give us some pointers.

We're going the first week in Sep. Had to wait until the kiddos were in school so I could get a babysitter. MOm's not crazy enough to watch all of them during the summer.

Anyway. We're flying into Dublin and staying right downtown in the Temple Bar area. The reviews say it's "lively?", maybe less so since we're going at the end of tourist season???????

I've found some great things to visit in the Dublin and surrounding area. Does anyone have suggestions outside Dublin. I don't know that we'll rent a car so that might limit us (hubby isn't sure about the driving on the wrong side of the street thing).

Can't wait :dance:

This is to celebrate our 20th anniversary, BTW.

chloe
05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Wow sounds like fun. Congrats on the 20th anniversary !

Trigg
05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Wow sounds like fun. Congrats on the 20th anniversary !

Thanks!!!!!

Trigg
05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Come on people

Hasn't anyone been there???????????

Any suggestions???????????

Kathianne
05-27-2009, 03:05 PM
No, wish I had been. It's supposed to be gorgeous! I'm so jealous! Happy Anniversary! What a great way to spend your summer, waiting for fall. ;)

Noir
05-27-2009, 04:30 PM
First of we drive on the right side of the road, you guise got it wrong ;)

What's your kinda thing? Like parks or museums or what not?

glockmail
05-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Come on people

Hasn't anyone been there???????????

Any suggestions???????????Never been there myself, but I've had plenty of relatives and friends who have:

1. Gotta kiss the Blarney stone.
2. Lots of rock walls and narrow roads.
3. Don't say you're a Catholic when in Northern Ireland.
4. Don't say you're a Protestant in the Remainder.

Noir
05-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Glock, points 3&4 are silly sterotypes, as I'm sure your family and friends would tell you if you asked them.

Trigg
05-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Never been there myself, but I've had plenty of relatives and friends who have:

1. Gotta kiss the Blarney stone.
2. Lots of rock walls and narrow roads.
3. Don't say you're a Catholic when in Northern Ireland.
4. Don't say you're a Protestant in the Remainder.

We're not planning to go to Northern Ireland. I have a co-worker that went to Ireland last year and she recommended that I avoid the area. She said it still feels like a police state.

I told hubby to grow out his goatee, it comes in bright red........we want to fit in doncha know.

Trigg
05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
First of we drive on the right side of the road, you guise got it wrong ;)

What's your kinda thing? Like parks or museums or what not?

Well we're planning to see all the major sights in Dublin, castles, Guinness brewery that kind of thing. I'd also like to get away from the tourist areas (used to live in Florida and I know how annoying tourists can be).

Are there any nice little towns that are interesting to visit for a day trip??? I think the old medieval towns with their winding narrow roads are pretty and we can possibly soak up the scenery.

How are the Irish with foreigners???? I ask because the Finnish people I met when visiting there were ALL very standoffish...almost to the point of being rude.

On a side note, my sister, who lives in Finland, is thinking of coming to visit for a day. That should be fun.

Noir
05-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Well I would recomend Wicklow jail, just outside Dublin, it is also in the Wicklow hills which are good for walkin and taking it easy, not really sure about towns ect but I'll ask my mum as I think she's been down in Ireland a fair few times.

I've found the Irish are pretty friendly, but I must warn that when in Dublin you will be step upon by beggers, atleast in my experience, they even came up to our car when it was stopped at the lights and tapped the windows =S
Also Ireland is in real bad economic shape (currently owing 11 times their GDP) so I would expect they'd treat forgieners verly well.

As for Norn Iron being a police state, I'm sutprised, most folk I know have had a really bad sterotype of us, but once they'd been here realized mist of it was a myth,

Also I'm sure you'll have clicked this site already but just incase, www.discoverireland.ie is their offical tourist page thingy.

jackass
05-28-2009, 03:14 PM
All true Irish are friendly!!! :cheers2:

Trigg
05-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Well I would recomend Wicklow jail, just outside Dublin, it is also in the Wicklow hills which are good for walkin and taking it easy, not really sure about towns ect but I'll ask my mum as I think she's been down in Ireland a fair few times.

I've found the Irish are pretty friendly, but I must warn that when in Dublin you will be step upon by beggers, atleast in my experience, they even came up to our car when it was stopped at the lights and tapped the windows =S
Also Ireland is in real bad economic shape (currently owing 11 times their GDP) so I would expect they'd treat forgieners verly well.

As for Norn Iron being a police state, I'm sutprised, most folk I know have had a really bad sterotype of us, but once they'd been here realized mist of it was a myth,

Also I'm sure you'll have clicked this site already but just incase, www.discoverireland.ie is their offical tourist page thingy.

I saw lots of beggars in Rome and Sweden, hubby hasn't, I wasn't really bothered by them though. They were all over New Orleans when we lived there.

I hadn't heard about that jail, I saw Kilmainham jail on the web sight though and thought it looked interesting.

Any other suggestions you have would be great.

I'm fortunate that two people I work with have recent immigrant backgrounds (grandparents) from Ireland. They have promised to bring pictures and suggestions about where to visit.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for my vacation

glockmail
05-29-2009, 12:58 AM
We're not planning to go to Northern Ireland. I have a co-worker that went to Ireland last year and she recommended that I avoid the area. She said it still feels like a police state.

I told hubby to grow out his goatee, it comes in bright red........we want to fit in doncha know. When my sister went about 20 years ago she bought me a rough wool fisherman's sweater over there, cable knit, authentic as far as I know. It is very thick, not wind resistant at all but when worn under a jacket is very warm. I use it on the coldest days hiking or skiing, and I have never felt cold in it. Its a prized possession for me and my favorite sweater of all time except for a Dale of Norway sweater that my Mom bought me about the same time, but unfortunately shrunk in the wash after about ten years and I had to give it away.