PDA

View Full Version : Now Burris Perjury?

Kathianne
05-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Chicago politics, never dull:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/05/prosecutors-seek-release-of-burris-tape.html

Burris on tape offering a check for Blagojevich
May 26, 2009 9:43 PM | 61 Comments | UPDATED STORY
A transcript of a secretly recorded phone call between the brother of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich and U.S. Sen. Roland Burris was released in federal court today, a call in which Burris, then seeking the Senate seat, was recorded offering the Blagojevich campaign a campaign check.

"I know I could give him a check," Burris said. "Myself."

But in the same call, Burris tells Robert Blagojevich he is concerned he and Rod Blagojevich will "catch hell."

"And if I do get appointed that means I bought it," Burris said.

"And, and God knows number one, I, I wanna help Rod," Burris says later in the call. "Number two, I also wanna, you know, hope I get a consideration to get that appointment."...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jEOzlO6E8GGPr3SCcUuDfmlQ9_JwD98E3LU80

Judge approves release of Burris conversation
By MIKE ROBINSON – 17 hours ago
CHICAGO (AP) — The U.S. Senate Ethics Committee will be allowed to listen to a federal wiretap of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich's brother having a phone conversation with U.S. Sen. Roland Burris, who has been under scrutiny over the circumstances of his appointment, a federal judge said Tuesday.

The conversation between Burris and the former governor's brother occurred while Blagojevich was still governor and before he named Burris to President Barack Obama's former U.S. Senate seat.

Burris has been under intense scrutiny because of the circumstances of his appointment by the disgraced former governor and for changing his story multiple times about whether he promised anything in exchange for the appointment.

The Senate Ethics Committee has begun a preliminary investigation. The Sangamon County State's Attorney is determining whether perjury charges are warranted....