PDA

View Full Version : Change of Heart/Mind?

Hobbit
04-06-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm just curious. Over the past few years, in discussions about passionate topics such as religion and politics, here or elsewhere, have any of you had a dramatic turn around on any major issues? If so, what convinced you?

I'll go first. I've done a complete 180 on pot. For a long time, I thought it should stay illegal because it was harmful, but the more and more I found out about pot, and the more I came to realize what should be in the jurisdiction of federal law, the more I came to think of using weed as something that, while a bad choice, shouldn't be illegal.

I've also had a change of heart on the idea that homosexuality is purely a choice. Numerous logical arguments, as well as new scientific studies convinced me otherwise.

Psychoblues
04-07-2007, 01:27 AM
Hobbitt, this is going to roll you off your chair, but you make excellent points here in my opinion.

I'm just curious. Over the past few years, in discussions about passionate topics such as religion and politics, here or elsewhere, have any of you had a dramatic turn around on any major issues? If so, what convinced you?

I'll go first. I've done a complete 180 on pot. For a long time, I thought it should stay illegal because it was harmful, but the more and more I found out about pot, and the more I came to realize what should be in the jurisdiction of federal law, the more I came to think of using weed as something that, while a bad, shouldn't be illegal.

I've also had a change of heart on the idea that homosexuality is purely a choice. Numerous logical arguments, as well as new scientific studies convinced me otherwise.

I don't use "pot" or any hallucinogenic drug other than a few beers (sometimes a lot of them) but like you I have no problem with others in the smoking of the wild weed. In fact, I have many friends and acquaintances that do the weed thing and not a single one of them is "wild" as I would describe.

I have several "gay" friends. I am also convinced they have no choice in their lives. They are what they are. I didn't make them that way. I don't think their lives experiences made them that way either. It had to be God that made them "that way". It's a mystery to me as I am sure it is a mystery to you. I love them no less than I would, say, a Republican. Just kidding you there, Hobbitt, but for real I think people, politics and religion aside, are what they are.

I don't want to get into the sexual orientation thing because honestly I don't understand it beyond the attraction that I have to women. I don't want to too seriously get into the dope thing as I am a partaker of alcohol,. I don't care for the screwball shit that even the military doctors gave me, and I don't judge anyone that delights in the comforts that the plants of God give us anymore than I would judge the actions of Doctors that use their educations and faith to find cures and comfort for all those of us that from time to time suffer anamolies of one kind or another.

I am not rambling here, Hobbitt. I have very specific beliefs on these issues and I will be very glad to discuss them with you or anyone else.