PDA

View Full Version : Obama’s Transportation Secretary Says He Wants to ‘Coerce People Out of Their Cars’

red states rule
05-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Is this more of the hope and change we were promised?

Why are the 70 million Obama voters buying the most fuel efficient vehicles they could find to begin with?

Seems to me consumer demand like that have made cars like Honda Civic the #1 selling vehicle in the U.S.

Or are they waiting for the Obama administration too give them one?

Obama’s Transportation Secretary Says He Wants to ‘Coerce People Out of Their Cars’
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
By Terence P. Jeffrey, Editor-in-Chief

(CNSNews.com) - Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told a group of reporters at the National Press Club on Thursday that he wants to “coerce people out of their cars.”

In Newsweek magazine last week, nationally syndicated columnist George Will published a piece critical of Lahood, entitled, “Ray LaHood, Transformed--Secretary of Behavior Modification.”

“He says he has joined a ‘transformational’ administration: ‘I think we can change people's behavior,’” Will reports that LaHood said over lunch.

LaHood, a former Republican congressman from Peoria, Ill., has become a champion of using the Department of Transportation and federal transportation spending to get people to take trains, busses, and ride bikes instead of driving cars.

At the National Press Club on Thursday he attempted to respond to George Will’s column and to explain his vision for using the power of government to change people’s transportation behavior and to change the nature of American residential communities

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=48578

GW in Ohio
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Get out those bicycles, kids. You can get your exercise and commute to work at the same time.

Okay, so sometimes it rains on your way to work and you arrive at meetings looking like a Titanic survivor.

Okay, if you live North of Florida those winter commutes can be a bit daunting.

And sometimes you might get grease from your bicycle chain on your pants.

That's the price you pay for being ecologically responsible.

Insein
05-27-2009, 01:09 PM
If we had a legitimate mass transit system, I might think this was viable. However, our mass transit system is not efficient in the slightest. The reason has a lot to do with the size of our nation. This is just another attempt to turn us into Europe.

red states rule
05-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Get out those bicycles, kids. You can get your exercise and commute to work at the same time.

Okay, so sometimes it rains on your way to work and you arrive at meetings looking like a Titanic survivor.

Okay, if you live North of Florida those winter commutes can be a bit daunting.

And sometimes you might get grease from your bicycle chain on your pants.

That's the price you pay for being ecologically responsible.

I wonder if Al Gore will give up his provate jet, or John Edwards will scale back his 30,000 sq ft mansion?

Somehow I doubt it

But it is so typical of liberals to demand WE reduce our standard of living while they upgrade their standard of living

BTW GW, wasn't it Al Gore that said we should all be on bicycles?

The man needs to get on one and get rid of some of his tonnage.