PDA

View Full Version : Couple Ordered to Stop Holding Bible Study at Home Without Permit

red states rule
05-28-2009, 03:25 PM
How can any jurisdiction even consider something like this?

Couple Ordered to Stop Holding Bible Study at Home Without Permit
Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pastor David Jones and his wife Mary have been told that they cannot invite friends to their San Diego, Calif. home for a bible study — unless they are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to San Diego County.

"On Good Friday we had an employee from San Diego County come to our house, and inform us that the bible study that we were having was a religious assembly, and in violation of the code in the county." David Jones told FOX News.

"We told them this is not really a religious assembly — this is just a bible study with friends. We have a meal, we pray, that was all," Jones said.

A few days later, the couple received a written warning that cited "unlawful use of land," ordering them to either "stop religious assembly or apply for a major use permit," the couple's attorney Dean Broyles told San Diego news station 10News.

But the major use permit could cost the Jones' thousands of dollars just to have a few friends over.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,522637,00.html?test=latestnews

and

http://www.10news.com/news/19562217/detail.html

05-28-2009, 03:37 PM
This is completely outrageous....

red states rule
05-28-2009, 03:40 PM
This is completely outrageous....

But they were praying, for crying out loud.

We can't have anything like that going on in the privacy of their own home. What next?

Are they going to have the gall to exercise free speech too? This has got to stop.

This is part of the change that was voted for in the last election

Now if they were Muslims perhaps they could be allowed to continue

theHawk
05-28-2009, 05:00 PM
So much for freedom of religion and freedom of assembly.

Joe Steel
05-28-2009, 05:33 PM
How can any jurisdiction even consider something like this?

Couple Ordered to Stop Holding Bible Study at Home Without Permit
Thursday, May 28, 2009

Seems like a good idea. Obviously, they were violating zoning regulations.

The county employee notified the couple that the small Bible study, with an average of 15 people attending, was in violation of County regulations, according to Broyles.

Trigg
05-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Ok, so the obvious question here is......who told on them???????

The other one is........why does anyone care???????

red states rule
05-28-2009, 08:55 PM
So much for freedom of religion and freedom of assembly.

How does any government agency in this country justify such an intrusion into the privacy of an individual home?

red states rule
05-28-2009, 08:56 PM

These people are obviously liars, being religious Christian zealots who abuse women and hate gays and all. Might be terrorists too. Lock them up and let them pray in jail. This should not be happening in Obama's America.

Right Joe?

05-28-2009, 08:58 PM

They weren't, though im not surprised you jumped to that conclusion without any of the evidence.

No to mention the Constitution of the United States trumps city zoning regulations.

red states rule
05-28-2009, 09:01 PM

More likely there is a neighbor who doesn't like the additional cars parked around the street on bible study night, complained and some low level public servant decided that a small group home bible study is the same as a regular scheduled church service.

Mr. P
05-28-2009, 10:50 PM
My response to these IDIOTS would have been..."It's a book club". Get f'ked! But that's just me.

red states rule
05-28-2009, 10:53 PM
My response to these IDIOTS would have been..."It's a book club". Get f'ked! But that's just me.

Why should anyone need a permit to hold a religious assembly?

It's a private home Bible study, not a Church service, but either way it's none of their business.

I'm sure they would have the same reaction to a muslam, or atheist "assembly" huh?

Mr. P
05-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Why should anyone need a permit to hold a religious assembly?

It's a private home Bible study, not a Church service, but either way it's none of their business.

I'm sure they would have the same reaction to a muslam, or atheist "assembly" huh?

I know..but it ain't ending there...they want access to yer bedroom too...how else can they show who can operate a dildo as April says?

actsnoblemartin
05-28-2009, 11:21 PM
is their anyone to call and yell at over this?

emmett
05-28-2009, 11:38 PM
How does any government agency in this country justify such an intrusion into the privacy of an individual home?

Because Democrats and Republicans decide law in this country. I don't have to tell you that Libertarians would never support such intrusion by government.

Gotcha!:laugh2:

emmett
05-28-2009, 11:46 PM

Not surprising that a Liberal would say such a thing. Control over other's lives is what they want. The thing is though they are so shallow as to not know they are being used by lefty politicians to promote their agenda. Which of course makes them unintelligent too. But of course everyone knows that Conservatives are smarter than Democrats. Several college and various scientific survery have proven that beyond a doubt.

red states rule
05-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Here is the law

SEC. 2. PROTECTION OF LAND USE AS RELIGIOUS EXERCISE.
(a) SUBSTANTIAL BURDENS-
(1) GENERAL RULE- No government shall impose or implement a land use regulation in a manner that imposes a substantial burden on the religious exercise of a person, including a religious assembly or institution, unless the government demonstrates that imposition of the burden on that person, assembly, or institution--
(A) is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest; and
(B) is the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest.
(2) SCOPE OF APPLICATION- This subsection applies in any case in which--
(A) the substantial burden is imposed in a program or activity that receives Federal financial assistance, even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability;
(B) the substantial burden affects, or removal of that substantial burden would affect, commerce with foreign nations, among the several States, or with Indian tribes, even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability; or
(C) the substantial burden is imposed in the implementation of a land use regulation or system of land use regulations, under which a government makes, or has in place formal or informal procedures or practices that permit the government to make, individualized assessments of the proposed uses for the property involved.
(b) DISCRIMINATION AND EXCLUSION-

(1) EQUAL TERMS- No government shall impose or implement a land use regulation in a manner that treats a religious assembly or institution on less than equal terms with a nonreligious assembly or institution.
(2) NONDISCRIMINATION- No government shall impose or implement a land use regulation that discriminates against any assembly or institution on the basis of religion or religious denomination.
(3) EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITS- No government shall impose or implement a land use regulation that--
(A) totally excludes religious assemblies from a jurisdiction; or
(B) unreasonably limits religious assemblies, institutions, or structures within a jurisdiction

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/housing/housing_rluipa.php

Joe Steel
05-29-2009, 07:34 AM
These people are obviously liars, being religious Christian zealots who abuse women and hate gays and all. Might be terrorists too. Lock them up and let them pray in jail. This should not be happening in Obama's America.

Right Joe?

I never said that. I said they were violating zoning regulations.

An occasional religious gathering is inoffensive. Regular gatherings upset the balance in the area. The neighbors have property rights and zoning regulations exist to protect them. When the bible-studiers violate the regulations, they violate their neighbors' rights.

Nukeman
05-29-2009, 07:55 AM
I never said that. I said they were violating zoning regulations.

An occasional religious gathering is inoffensive. Regular gatherings upset the balance in the area. The neighbors have property rights and zoning regulations exist to protect them. When the bible-studiers violate the regulations, they violate their neighbors' rights.Slap me for agreeing, but joe has a point, if it is a once a month thing then I don't see a problem; however, if its a every week thing with 10-15 extra cars parked on the neighborhood streets than I can see the problem. We really don't know EVERYTHING about the situation...

(1) EQUAL TERMS- No government shall impose or implement a land use regulation in a manner that treats a religious assembly or institution on less than equal terms with a nonreligious assembly or institution. Key part is the bolded part.....

I ask if everyone would be all right if the people in question were holding a "garage sale" every Wednesday. Forget if its a religious meeting but suppose it was a swingers meeting/club. You have to have consistancy....

Just to add, I am assuming that this is a residential neighbourhood with LIMITED parking. if that is the case than these extra cars are more than likely blocking others property and creating a potential issue for rescue vehicles as well. Now like I said "I am assuming".

glockmail
05-29-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm sure if they were having a wild gay sex orgy, or even a simple group wife-swapping session, the County wouldn't be asking them for a permit. Next time the doorbell rings they should answer the door naked and that would be the end of it.

Nukeman
05-29-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm sure if they were having a wild gay sex orgy, or even a simple group wife-swapping session, the County wouldn't be asking them for a permit. Next time the doorbell rings they should answer the door naked and that would be the end of it.

Sadly that is probably true!!!!!!!!!!

red states rule
05-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Sadly that is probably true!!!!!!!!!!

Or they should have told the city they were having a hope and change reading then nothing would have happened - except some city officials may have wanted to attend

Silver
05-29-2009, 06:51 PM
So....do you guys want to hear something really really stupid ??

You do !....OK...:cheers2:

Come on Joe Steel...give us a post....

Binky
05-29-2009, 07:13 PM

Exactly what I was wondering. And the reason they care is because they are grabbing for the money those people would have to pay to get a permit. It's all about the money. Nothing else. Greed!

crin63
05-29-2009, 08:46 PM

Their neighbors had a friend or friends over and someone from the Bible study reportedly back into one the friends cars. So that person who I guess was really ticked called the police and 3 other governmental agencies.

I know the guy who ordained that pastor. I'll see what else I can find out when I talk to him.

Gaffer
05-29-2009, 08:57 PM
So it's revenge on the part of a neighbor and greed on the part of the county. Great combination.

red states rule
05-30-2009, 05:10 AM
So it's revenge on the part of a neighbor and greed on the part of the county. Great combination.

It seems the Bible study group is made up of "hit-and-run" lunatics :rolleyes:

An angry neighbor and a dented car is the reason for all this?

An individual having a fender bender still does not make a small group home bible study into a mass religious event.

It just means one of the drivers is wrong for not finding the owner of the car he/she hit