PDA

View Full Version : Imus under fire after on-air racial slur

Abbey Marie
04-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Oops, this one might stick.
Ever notice that apologies are never accepted?

By LARRY McSHANE, Associated Press Writer
34 minutes ago
NEW YORK - The radio station that produces Don Imus' talk show pledged to keep tabs on its content after he apologized for calling the players on Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy headed hos."

"We are disappointed by Imus' actions earlier this week which we find completely inappropriate," WFAN-AM said in a statement Friday. "We fully agree that a sincere apology was called for and will continue to monitor the program's content going forward."

Imus apologized Friday for the comments made earlier this week on his nationally syndicated program.

The National Association of Black Journalists demanded the immediate firing of the "Imus in the Morning" host. Imus questioned the players' looks, describing them as tattooed "rough girls." His producer compared the team — which has eight black members — to the NBA's Toronto Raptors.

Near the start of Friday's show, Imus said he wanted to "apologize for an insensitive and ill-conceived remark we made the other morning referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team."

"It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended. Our characterization was thoughtless and stupid, and we are sorry."

Gregory Lee, an NABJ officer and senior assistant sports editor at The Boston Globe, said the mea culpa did little to atone for the comments.

"You can apologize, but what does that mean when you have a history of making disparaging remarks about people?" Lee asked about the acid-tongued Imus. "This kind of behavior must be punished. I hope the company and sponsors he has take some sort of action ... to educate him."

NABJ President Bryan Monroe asked Thursday if Imus had "lost his mind" and called for the veteran radio host's dismissal. Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer was also incensed by the comments about her team.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070407/ap_on_en_ot/imus_apology;_ylt=Ah7xEcczGUbX.1MEDeXG9i1I2ocA

Trigg
04-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I get so tired of the double standard.

This quote by Bryant Gumble about the winter olympics not so long ago.

"So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention"

shattered
04-07-2007, 11:28 AM
"You can apologize, but what does that mean when you have a history of making disparaging remarks about people?" Lee asked about the acid-tongued Imus. "This kind of behavior must be punished. I hope the company and sponsors he has take some sort of action ... to educate him."

If you really want to "punish" said behavior, stop tuning in to it. Ratings will go down, and the show will be cancelled. Imus is like a train-wreck.. Some like him, some hate him, but EVERYONE has to pay attention to him.

Personally, a lot of what he says is funny as hell, but...I think he's about ready for retirement.

darin
04-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Worst thing is - it's not against the law to be a racist or a sexist. We punish free-thoughts, simply because they aren't popular. :(

Gaffer
04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
He's a typical liberal bigot. Has he checked into rehab yet?

Dilloduck
04-07-2007, 03:37 PM
After all is said and done what I really want to know is does the Rutgers University women's basketball team look like
"nappy headed hos." or not? Is this a truthful statement or not? Shouldn't the veracity of what is said be the final determining factor ?

Yurt
04-07-2007, 04:38 PM
black people say this all the time about other blacks... i can't even count the times I have heard it. heck, i think i have even see it on TV or in the movies. i really don't see how "racist" this is.

Abbey Marie
04-07-2007, 04:42 PM
black people say this all the time about other blacks... i can't even count the times I have heard it. heck, i think i have even see it on TV or in the movies. i really don't see how "racist" this is.

Yup, Warren Beatty used the term many times in the movie Bullworth.

Nuc
04-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Yup, Warren Beatty used the term many times in the movie Bullworth.

Best political movie of all time! I saw it in a black neighborhood and the crowd loved it.

theHawk
04-07-2007, 05:27 PM
This is not some unemployed comic like Michael Richards," Sharpton said, referring to the "Seinfeld" actor who used the N-word and referred to lynching in a rant last year. "This is an established figure, allowed to use the airwaves for sexist and racist remarks."

Yup, too bad the first Amendment allows him to do that. Seems that First Amendment rights only apply to ....whoever Al Sharpton feels it should.

grunt
04-07-2007, 05:30 PM
They are nappy-headed ho's.

krisy
04-07-2007, 05:42 PM
As much as I don't like Imus,he's got the right to say what he said. No,it wasn't nice,but we can't have speech police that run around telling everyone what opinions are acceptable and what is acceptable to say.

No one cares when a slur is made against whites or Christians.

Nuc
04-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Yeah right, that's why Giuliani threatened to close down the Brooklyn Museum because of the African Madonna painting using elephant dung as a material. :lame2:

Gaffer
04-07-2007, 06:55 PM
As much as I don't like Imus,he's got the right to say what he said. No,it wasn't nice,but we can't have speech police that run around telling everyone what opinions are acceptable and what is acceptable to say.

It's a simple matter of sharpton, jackson, rangel and a couple of other shakedown artists trying to get their payoff. The true nappy-headed ho's.

Hugh Lincoln
04-07-2007, 07:08 PM
The National Association of Black Journalists demanded the immediate firing of the "Imus in the Morning" host

To be replaced by... a black journalist? How convenient!

Duh. Blacks get away with murder. It's only because we allow it and we know that if we say anything, we'll get slaughtered. Meanwhile, they can demand this, that and the other, and whites' usual response is, "yes, massah."

Nuc
04-07-2007, 07:17 PM
To be replaced by... a black journalist? How convenient!

Duh. Blacks get away with murder. It's only because we allow it and we know that if we say anything, we'll get slaughtered. Meanwhile, they can demand this, that and the other, and whites' usual response is, "yes, massah."

What are you doing to reverse this? I mean in reality, not just whining on message boards.

Or are you just taking it now and whining later? :dance:

krisy
04-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah right, that's why Giuliani threatened to close down the Brooklyn Museum because of the African Madonna painting using elephant dung as a material. :lame2:

Please. Every time someone says something even remotely derrogatory ,or just makes a joke toward any race other than white,the press jumps on it like flys on s**t.

There is an occasional uproar if something happens against whites,but how can anyone argue that we see FAR more stories on the news for days and days about supposed racism toward Arabs or blacks.

Imus' comment was a joke. Like I said,it wasn't nice,but for Petes sake,if a black guy said something about the appearance of a bunch of white girls,we would hear nothing about it. I don't balme black people,I blame the media

Nuc
04-07-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't balme black people,I blame the media

Yep you got that right. The media are idiots and they're driving a lot of the stupidity in the culture.

Yurt
04-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Who here has ever heard a darker skin tone, hmm, maybe what one would call "black", call another dark skin person a:

nigger

I can't count the times.

How many times did I hear growing up in inner city san diego: hey whitey, hey white boy, shit white boy can't dance....

And on and on.

Spare me.

04-07-2007, 08:53 PM
This is completely ridiculous. Why the heck should someone be fired for voicing his opinion on an opinion show? Even if the most ridiculous statement in the world, this is the United States of America. We have the right to be as ignorant, mean, and evil as we want in our speech. Conversely we have the right to be intelligent, nice, and good as we want in our speech.

If you dont like what the man said, dont listen to him (I sure as heck dont). But if you are going to give him greater publicity that just means MORE people will listen to him. That will just make him say even dumber stuff. I mean look at Rosie.

Hugh Lincoln
04-08-2007, 09:43 AM
What are you doing to reverse this? I mean in reality, not just whining on message boards.

Or are you just taking it now and whining later? :dance:

Whining on message boards is a start. I do more than that, though. I whine to family and friends, (some) neighbors, letters to the editor, write articles, etc. Mostly just whining. But I feel better when I whine. If I ran for office with a complaint that whites were getting screwed, I'd be crucified. And unlike Him, I wouldn't rise again.

Nuc
04-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Whining on message boards is a start. I do more than that, though. I whine to family and friends, (some) neighbors, letters to the editor, write articles, etc. Mostly just whining. But I feel better when I whine. If I ran for office with a complaint that whites were getting screwed, I'd be crucified. And unlike Him, I wouldn't rise again.

Well at least you're honest about it! :cheers2:

glockmail
04-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Whining on message boards is a start. I do more than that, though. I whine to family and friends, (some) neighbors, letters to the editor, write articles, etc. Mostly just whining. But I feel better when I whine. If I ran for office with a complaint that whites were getting screwed, I'd be crucified. And unlike Him, I wouldn't rise again. I feel the same way about gays. Anytime I speak The Truth, I get blasted.

Nuc
04-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I feel the same way about gays. Anytime I speak The Truth, I get blasted.

What is the truth? That most of the moderators here are closet gays? :poke: :laugh2: :slap: :pee: :dance: