PDA

View Full Version : Michael Moore Happy Government Owns GM

red states rule
06-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Being a typical liberal, Mr Moore is full of hypcorisy as he expresses his glee over the government owning and running GM

He writes how GM failed because they didn't build the cars people wanted, then later he writes how the government needs to force a new types of cars on people, and make them buy them by raising the gas tax by $2 per gallon

The scary thing is, Obama, Reid, and Pelosi may listen to him

Goodbye, GM
By Michael Moore

snips

We are now in a different kind of war -- a war that we have conducted against the ecosystem and has been conducted by our very own corporate leaders. This current war has two fronts. One is headquartered in Detroit. The products built in the factories of GM, Ford and Chrysler are some of the greatest weapons of mass destruction responsible for global warming and the melting of our polar icecaps. The things we call "cars" may have been fun to drive, but they are like a million daggers into the heart of Mother Nature. To continue to build them would only lead to the ruin of our species and much of the planet

6. For the time being, have some factories build hybrid or all-electric cars (and batteries). It will take a few years for people to get used to the new ways to transport ourselves, so if we're going to have automobiles, let's have kinder, gentler ones. We can be building these next month (do not believe anyone who tells you it will take years to retool the factories -- that simply isn't true).

7. Transform some of the empty GM factories to facilities that build windmills, solar panels and other means of alternate forms of energy. We need tens of millions of solar panels right now. And there is an eager and skilled workforce who can build them.

8. Provide tax incentives for those who travel by hybrid car or bus or train. Also, credits for those who convert their home to alternative energy.

9. To help pay for this, impose a two-dollar tax on every gallon of gasoline. This will get people to switch to more energy saving cars or to use the new rail lines and rail cars the former autoworkers have built for them.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/06/01/goodbye_gm_96772.html

Joe Steel
06-02-2009, 07:07 AM
He writes how GM failed because they didn't build the cars people wanted,

He's right.

GM's management concentrated on the big profits in light trucks and SUVs and conceded the small and fuel-efficient car market to the Japanese. Then the price of gasoline increased and GM collapsed.

The government has to keep GM focused on serving the whole market. If that means mandating small, less profitable cars and other transportation equipment, so be it.

It will be good for America.

red states rule
06-02-2009, 07:09 AM
He's right.

GM's management concentrated on the big profits in light trucks and SUVs and conceded the small and fuel-efficient car market to the Japanese. Then the price of gasoline increased and GM collapsed.

The government has to keep GM focused on serving the whole market. If that means mandating small, less profitable cars and other transportation equipment, so be it.

So Joe the answer is to FORCE people to buy a car people don't want, need, and is more dangerous to drive and is consideralbly more expensive to own (hybrids).

Moore is atotal hypocrite, and an ignorant one at that.

I'd love to see him try and fit his fat ass in one of those matchbox size cars that he wants us to drive. That would be entertaining to see. They would have to beef up the suspension on the side of the car he rides in

Insein
06-02-2009, 09:37 AM
He's right.

The first part is correct. GM's management failed to realize that their strategy was a huge risk should gas prices rise rapidly. Their fleet had too many gas consuming vehicles in it. They paid the price and failed as a company.

The second part is wrong. GM failed. They should bear the brunt of that failure and not the American people. Having government force a new car design on people is not going to make them buy it. Throwing billions of tax payer dollars into a company that couldn't run itself is not going to make America better. GM should focus on what they think will be profitable for GM. That is how a business stays in business.

red states rule
06-02-2009, 09:40 AM
The first part is correct. GM's management failed to realize that their strategy was a huge risk should gas prices rise rapidly. Their fleet had too many gas consuming vehicles in it. They paid the price and failed as a company.

The second part is wrong. GM failed. They should bear the brunt of that failure and not the American people. Having government force a new car design on people is not going to make them buy it. Throwing billions of tax payer dollars into a company that couldn't run itself is not going to make America better. GM should focus on what they think will be profitable for GM. That is how a business stays in business.

I would like to see people like Moore, Ted Kennedy, or Al Gore fitr in the tiny cars that Obama Motors will force the UAW to make and force people to buy

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/Tweeney/car.jpg

But then again, why would I think THEY would be driving them? The liberal elites will still have their limos and SUV's. Those tin can death traps are just for the peasants.

jimnyc
06-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Why should we listen to MM? According to Joe Steel, he is a liar and only writes satire. He is not a documentary writer/filmmaker but only acknowledged as much due to "rhetorical convenience", according to Joe.

Joe Steel
06-02-2009, 12:14 PM
So Joe the answer is to FORCE people to buy a car people don't want, need, and is more dangerous to drive and is consideralbly more expensive to own (hybrids).

No one is forcing anyone to buy a car he doesn't want. If all goes well, GM will offer a product mix which reflects the whole market; SUVs to subcompacts, diesel, gasoline and electric. The idea is to avoid the mistakes of the past and to be ready for the future.

Joe Steel
06-02-2009, 12:17 PM
The second part is wrong. GM failed. They should bear the brunt of that failure and not the American people.

The American People should do anything they want to do. If the want to own a car company, they should. They can make GM the "public option" of the auto industry, producing good products at a fair price in America.

Insein
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
The American People should do anything they want to do. If the want to own a car company, they should. They can make GM the "public option" of the auto industry, producing good products at a fair price in America.

If the American people want to own a car company, they can buy common stock in it just like everyone else. They put their own money out for something that they want. For the rest of us that DON'T want to own a failing car company, we should not have our tax dollars going towards it.

You of course know this but like to make ridiculous comments to rouse people's ire. There is a definition for this: Joe Steel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll)

MtnBiker
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm so glad I don't own an obamamobile

Joe Steel
06-02-2009, 03:13 PM
If the American people want to own a car company, they can buy common stock in it just like everyone else. They put their own money out for something that they want. For the rest of us that DON'T want to own a failing car company, we should not have our tax dollars going towards it.

Too bad. This is a representative democracy. Presumably you voted. I guess you backed the wrong guy.

Insein
06-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Too bad. This is a representative democracy. Presumably you voted. I guess you backed the wrong guy.

We also have a constitution. This elected official is disregarding everything that is said in it and violating numerous laws in the process. But I guess your utopia is USSR circa the late 1970's.

Joe Steel
06-02-2009, 05:04 PM
We also have a constitution. This elected official is disregarding everything that is said in it and violating numerous laws in the process. But I guess your utopia is USSR circa the late 1970's.

Nonsense.

The Constitution creates a government charged with promoting the general welfare. Obama is doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing.

MtnBiker
06-02-2009, 05:17 PM
What a riot. Obama could nationalize everybody's bank account in the name of "general welfare" and the leftist commies would stand up and cheer.

Binky
06-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I would like to see people like Moore, Ted Kennedy, or Al Gore fitr in the tiny cars that Obama Motors will force the UAW to make and force people to buy

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/Tweeney/car.jpg

But then again, why would I think THEY would be driving them? The liberal elites will still have their limos and SUV's. Those tin can death traps are just for the peasants.

I've driven corvettes and cameros and those alone are difficult to get in and out of and sit low to the ground, which makes it harder for those with bad backs to get in and out of. Or are heftier. I would not purchase a small itty bitty vehicle such as that. Talk about feeling stifled while inside.

There have been so many huge vehicles built because the public wanted larger cars. In fact, they begged and begged for them. It is a shame tho' that they couldn't have been built with a better gas mileage. And better for the environment. But the profits were so outstanding that they just kept makin' 'em. If people had of stopped buying them, GM would've stopped making them, because, after all, it's all about profit.

red states rule
06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
What a riot. Obama could nationalize everybody's bank account in the name of "general welfare" and the leftist commies would stand up and cheer.

Don't laugh - there was talk about the Feds taking all 401K's and replacing them with a government retirement account

http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/dcexaminer11202008.pdf

red states rule
06-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm so glad I don't own an obamamobile

The 2010 Government Motors product line

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dgGzlo5Op_Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dgGzlo5Op_Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Insein
06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Nonsense.

The Constitution creates a government charged with promoting the general welfare. Obama is doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing.

Nowhere in the constitution does it say that government running a private business promotes the general welfare. If anything, it hinders it as seen by the number of jobs lost due to government intervention as opposed to leaving the private sector to handle their own business.

red states rule
06-04-2009, 05:52 AM
It is looking more and more like the Obama administration knew GM was headed towards bankruptcy.

Yet, playing on the fear tactic of GM & Chrysler being "too big to fail", Obama put a multi billion dollar band-aid on the issue until the Obama administration could line up all their ducks in a row in order to nationalize the car industry.

I hope you Obama voters are proud