PDA

View Full Version : 31-Year-Old in Charge of Dismantling GM

red states rule
06-02-2009, 05:32 AM
Obama hires a guy with no real work experience, no automotive industry experience, to head up one of the most important jobs in quite a while.

I guess Obama wanted to make sure people in his administration have as much experience as he does

This is what $70 billion of our tax money has bought us

How is that hope and ghange doining for you?

The 31-Year-Old in Charge of Dismantling G.M.

WASHINGTON — It is not every 31-year-old who, in a first government job, finds himself dismantling General Motors and rewriting the rules of American capitalism.

But that, in short, is the job description for Brian Deese, a not-quite graduate of Yale Law School who had never set foot in an automotive assembly plant until he took on his nearly unseen role in remaking the American automotive industry.

Nor, for that matter, had he given much thought to what ailed an industry that had been in decline ever since he was born. A bit laconic and looking every bit the just-out-of-graduate-school student adjusting to life in the West Wing — “he’s got this beard that appears and disappears,” says Steven Rattner, one of the leaders of President Obama’s automotive task force — Mr. Deese was thrown into the auto industry’s maelstrom as soon the election-night parties ended.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/01/business/01deese.html?_r=2&ref=politics

06-02-2009, 11:33 AM
How can someone rewrite the rules of capitalism? Capitalism is merely the natural law at work.

Binky
06-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I find the whole thing unsettling and certainly not a good direction America is taking. Or rather, our political leaders have chosen to take. There's trouble on the horizon.....

Binky
06-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Well, I just now rec'd a call from my hubby. As of Friday, he is getting laid off from GM's Grand Blanc plant in Michigan. He's skilled trades. They are pushing 54 out the door and he's number 10.

Well, for those of you who are happy that GM is falling apart, get ready, folks, as there's a huge shit storm flying across America like a tsuname.

April15
06-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Binky,
It is sad that people gave to a company and the company didn't return to them. The storm of distress and insecurity has been pervasive in construction for a few years. Best of luck and try not to be too bitter.

red states rule
06-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Binky,
It is sad that people gave to a company and the company didn't return to them. The storm of distress and insecurity has been pervasive in construction for a few years. Best of luck and try not to be too bitter.

Didn't return? The Big Three spend more on health care for their employees then thye do the steel they use to make the cars/trucks

Their labor costs are a big reason they fell apart April. However to you and the union thugs, no matter what they spent on labor was never enough

Trigg
06-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Saw an interview with Romney today.

Basically he said this bankruptcy needs to happen and it's to bad it didn't happen BEFORE the gov. gave them billions that NOW we will NEVER get back.

Binky, sorry to hear about your husband. But this does need to happen, unions have killed the auto industry. They've been loosing profits for years to the foreign automakers because of all the outrageous demands but on them by the unions.

06-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Well, I just now rec'd a call from my hubby. As of Friday, he is getting laid off from GM's Grand Blanc plant in Michigan. He's skilled trades. They are pushing 54 out the door and he's number 10.

Well, for those of you who are happy that GM is falling apart, get ready, folks, as there's a huge shit storm flying across America like a tsuname.

Im sorry to hear about your husband. Ill keep you guys in my prayers.

Have you guys considered creating a business for yourself. I hear its much nicer to work for yourself than for someone else.

Binky
06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Binky,

Thanks, sorry I sounded bitter. I'm more disgusted than anything. The mismanagement these hotshot execs have done makes me want to get up and kick 'em to the ground. How fuckin' stupid to play with peoples lives as they have.

Binky
06-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Im sorry to hear about your husband. Ill keep you guys in my prayers.

Have you guys considered creating a business for yourself. I hear its much nicer to work for yourself than for someone else.

Been there, done that. We'll manage as we always have. We're a team and when one suffers, so does the other.

April15
06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Been there, done that. We'll manage as we always have. We're a team and when one suffers, so does the other.Partners for life!

emmett
06-03-2009, 09:37 PM
The capotilist system requires failure to be replaced by success. Government getting involved will screw it up. Our Government never should have become involved. They have doomed many. Lefties can't see it through their Obamablinders but they will and they will feel as stupid as I think they look falling over themselves to worship this idiot with no experience try to run our country.

Bink....sorry about the situation. You guys might want to place some blame at the feet of your union as well for strangling the automakers for so many years which has led to this. Democrats played a HUGE part in that.

PostmodernProphet
06-03-2009, 11:20 PM
But that, in short, is the job description for Brian Deese, a not-quite graduate of Yale Law School who had never set foot in an automotive assembly plant until he took on his nearly unseen role in remaking the American automotive industry.

last time we got Lee Iaccoca....

red states rule
06-04-2009, 06:13 AM
last time we got Lee Iaccoca....

"Brian Deese, who had never even set foot inside an auto assembly plant "

Logical choice, I guess, given the depth of executive experience of our President

It’s the same judgment Obama used in selecting Leon Panetta to head the CIA - absolutely no experience in intelligence

April15
06-04-2009, 05:55 PM
The capotilist system requires failure to be replaced by success. Government getting involved will screw it up. Our Government never should have become involved. They have doomed many. Lefties can't see it through their Obamablinders but they will and they will feel as stupid as I think they look falling over themselves to worship this idiot with no experience try to run our country.

Bink....sorry about the situation. You guys might want to place some blame at the feet of your union as well for strangling the automakers for so many years which has led to this. Democrats played a HUGE part in that.Take a look around. If not an intervention by the bank of last resort then national bankruptcy would change all you see to a medium brown color.

red states rule
06-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Take a look around. If not an intervention by the bank of last resort then national bankruptcy would change all you see to a medium brown color.

You can't prove things would be worse without the trillions in taxpayer money that has been used to buy up private companies

Of course now we are seeing how the Federal government is indeed running GM - and soon all the other companies the Obama administration now owns

Barney Frank convinces GM CEO to keep his district's plant open
@ 4:01 pm by Michael O'Brien
Rep Barney Frank (D-Mass.) won a stay of execution on Thursday for a General Motors plant in his district that the automaker had announced it would close.

No other lawmaker has managed to halt the GM ax. As chairman of the House Financial Services Committee Frank oversees the government's bailout program, known as TARP. Frank's staff said the lawmaker spokes with GM CEO Fritz Henderson on Wednesday and convinced him to keep the Norton, Mass. plant open for at least 14 months.

GM announced Monday in its bankruptcy and restructuring plans it would close of nine of its plants and idle three others. The automaker said it would also shutter three service and parts operations by the end of the year — one of which is in Frank's district.

"I greatly appreciate General Motors' willingness to take into consideration the wider needs of the company and especially the community," Frank said in a statement. "Keeping the facility open for this extra time gives workers a chance to look at other opportunities, while at the same time continuing to provide for their families."

Frank said that an improving economy could improve the prospects for GM and its employees, hinting that an uptick in auto sales could keep the Norton plant open longer.

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/06/04/barney-frank-wins-delay-of-gm-plant-closing-after-ceo-meeting/