PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Most oppose closing Gitmo

red states rule
06-03-2009, 07:25 AM
How will Obama and Dems deal with this? They will probably ignore it until it blows up in their face

Then they will try to blame Pres Bush and the Republicans like they do with the economy

Poll: Most oppose closing Gitmo

WASHINGTON — Americans are overwhelmingly opposed to closing the detention center for suspected terrorists at Guantanamo Bay and moving some of the detainees to prisons on U.S. soil, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds.
By more than 2-1, those surveyed say Guantanamo shouldn't be closed. By more than 3-1, they oppose moving some of the accused terrorists housed there to prisons in their own states.

The findings underscore the difficult task President Obama faces in convincing those at home that he should follow through on his campaign promise to close the prison in Cuba, especially in the absence of a plan of where the prisoners would go.

In many parts of the world, however, Gitmo has become a symbol of U.S. arrogance and abuse, and Obama has cited its closure as a way to lay the foundation for better relations. He is scheduled to deliver a major address aimed at the Muslim world on Thursday from Cairo.

It is one of the few subjects on which most Americans side with the views of the Bush administration over its successor.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2009-06-01-gitmo_N.htm

moderate democrat
06-03-2009, 07:49 AM
"It is one of the few subjects on which most Americans side with the views of the Bush administration over its successor."

ain't THAT the truth!

I think that Obama will do the right thing, and not pay attention to opinion polls.

Justice can never be left up to the mob.

red states rule
06-03-2009, 07:53 AM
"It is one of the few subjects on which most Americans side with the views of the Bush administration over its successor."

ain't THAT the truth!

I think that Obama will do the right thing, and not pay attention to opinion polls.

Even the Dems in Congress would not provide the money to close GOTMO

Jim Webb said no terrorists would be shipped to VA

How many of the terrorists are you willing to put up in your home if you are so set on getting them out og GITMO?

moderate democrat
06-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Even the Dems in Congress would not provide the money to close GOTMO

Jim Webb said no terrorists would be shipped to VA

How many of the terrorists are you willing to put up in your home if you are so set on getting them out og GITMO?

nobody has suggested that detainees go to anyone's homes. Federal supermax prisons are totally secure and NO ONE has EVER escaped from one. Right now, they hold individuals as dangerous as the worst GITMO detainee.

My guess is...that is where we will eventually send them after the political theater plays out.

I think it is cool that you included the last line of your original post. what are you thoughts on THAT?

red states rule
06-03-2009, 08:04 AM
nobody has suggested that detainees go to anyone's homes. Federal supermax prisons are totally secure and NO ONE has EVER escaped from one. Right now, they hold individuals as dangerous as the worst GITMO detainee.

My guess is...that is where we will eventually send them after the political theater plays out.

I think it is cool that you included the last line of your original post. what are you thoughts on THAT?

You eman you would deny a prro mistreated terrorist access to your home rather then putting them in a cell? How rcist and cruel of you V

How many news reports have their been where inmates are recrutied into terror groups in our prisions? They are overcrowded enough

Seems your beloved Dems are paying attention to what you dismiss as political theater - what the voters think

Of course this all part of the change Obama promised :laugh2:

http://thecommunityorganizer.net/images/Torture.jpg

moderate democrat
06-03-2009, 08:36 AM

fly fly:lol:

red states rule
06-03-2009, 08:57 AM

and why we need to keep the terrorists at Gitmo and off US soil

http://thecommunityorganizer.net/images/twintowers.jpg

Jeff
06-03-2009, 08:12 PM

ain't THAT the truth!

He won't pay attention to anything Virgil, he hasn't so far, his attitude is he won get over it

April15
06-03-2009, 08:14 PM

ain't THAT the truth!

Justice can never be left up to the mob.Barrack will do what his generals advise him to. Unlike his predeccessor who didn't care what he was told he just did what a loser would do.

April15
06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
and why we need to keep the terrorists at Gitmo and off US soil

http://thecommunityorganizer.net/images/twintowers.jpg

An inside job by Cheney and the PNAC. Dumb shits get a brain.

Jeff
06-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Barrack will do what his generals advise him to. Unlike his predeccessor who didn't care what he was told he just did what a loser would do.

You mean like when the General told him we need to stay in Iraq?

ooo that's right your argument then was he will listen, but he doesn't have to take there advice

Jeff
06-03-2009, 08:31 PM

You are a complete whack job, lets see you want to assassinate the old president, 9/11 was a inside job, you are seriously messed up a15, Ya might want to see if the Doc has some stronger Meds!

moderate democrat
06-03-2009, 08:44 PM
He won't pay attention to anything Virgil, he hasn't so far, his attitude is he won get over it

hey jeffy... he's right.

he DID win... you need to get over it.

April15
06-03-2009, 09:35 PM
You are a complete whack job, lets see you want to assassinate the old president, 9/11 was a inside job, you are seriously messed up a15, Ya might want to see if the Doc has some stronger Meds!Does it bother you that some people can and do think for themself? The Bush should have been. We, this nation, would not have the mess we have now. I think that would be a wonderful thing.
If you understood the power craz the original PNAC men had, destroying all of New York let alone a few buildings would have been in the realm of doable for them to get ultimate POWER. The only item that did not come was martial law. That surprised me. As for messed up I submit it is the reichwingers that are disturbed and need the men in white coats to take them away and feed them doxpin or thorezine.

emmett
06-03-2009, 09:45 PM

Hey MD. Here's one for you. If three guys beat up one guy.....are the three guys right?

Majority only rules.

red states rule
06-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Barrack will do what his generals advise him to. Unlike his predeccessor who didn't care what he was told he just did what a loser would do.

I doubt it. Obama is so arrogrant, his probably believes he is smarter then the Generals and everyone around him

It is a typical character trait with most liberals

red states rule
06-04-2009, 06:07 AM
hey jeffy... he's right.

and $4 trillion later - you still think more spending is needed, higher taxes a necessity, and love and compassion to terrorists an urgency

jimnyc
06-04-2009, 07:47 AM

If you understood the power craz the original PNAC men had, destroying all of New York let alone a few buildings would have been in the realm of doable for them to get ultimate POWER. The only item that did not come was martial law. That surprised me. As for messed up I submit it is the reichwingers that are disturbed and need the men in white coats to take them away and feed them doxpin or thorezine.

It never ceases to amaze me that there are still some loons out there who think 9/11 was an inside job. I had a rather lengthy debate (see the one on one debates section) with a pepperoni kid from Italy about this very subject and handed his ass to him.

Any interest in continuing the debate with me, one on one, and you can shower us with the irrefutable proof that it was an inside job? I know I can overwhelm most with enough proof that the job was performed by radical extremists, but I'm willing to set aside some time to read your theories, since I know you'll provide no solid proof.

So we are "dumb shits who need a brain". So I'll ask a second time, would you like to debate the facts with me? Here's a link to the original debate where all the lame theories were blasted out of the water:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=7661

red states rule
06-04-2009, 07:54 AM
It never ceases to amaze me that there are still some loons out there who think 9/11 was an inside job. I had a rather lengthy debate (see the one on one debates section) with a pepperoni kid from Italy about this very subject and handed his ass to him.

Any interest in continuing the debate with me, one on one, and you can shower us with the irrefutable proof that it was an inside job? I know I can overwhelm most with enough proof that the job was performed by radical extremists, but I'm willing to set aside some time to read your theories, since I know you'll provide no solid proof.

So we are "dumb shits who need a brain". So I'll ask a second time, would you like to debate the facts with me? Here's a link to the original debate where all the lame theories were blasted out of the water:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=7661

Save your breath Jim. I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for April to reply to a post where he demanded proof about Pelosi attending briefings about waterboarding

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=368713#post368713

Jeff
06-04-2009, 08:29 AM
hey jeffy... he's right.

Your right Virgil he won and America lost, and you are proud of this?

red states rule
06-04-2009, 08:30 AM

You should know by now Jeff, Virgil's loyality is to the Democrat party - not the United States of America

Jeff
06-04-2009, 08:31 AM
You should know by now Jeff, Virgil's loyality is to the Democrat party - not the United States of America

When he gets in that food line so he can eat he may have a change of heart!

moderate democrat
06-04-2009, 08:32 AM

just because YOU think that America lost, does not make that a fact. Most Americans are pleased with their president.

red states rule
06-04-2009, 08:32 AM
When he gets in that food line so he can eat he may have a change of heart!

No he won't. As he eats the beans, he will mumble under his breath, and between bites, how Bush and Republicans did this to him

Jeff
06-07-2009, 04:56 PM
just because YOU think that America lost, does not make that a fact. Most Americans are pleased with their president.
:lol:
Most, lol, maybe in maine, try the rest of the country, not sure you will get the same results

Kathianne
06-07-2009, 05:24 PM

ain't THAT the truth!

Right, we should go along with the idea of suicide by 'plea'?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/06/us/politics/06gitmo.html

Imagine if Bush had suggested such. :eek:

June 6, 2009
U.S. May Permit 9/11 Guilty Pleas in Capital Cases

By WILLIAM GLABERSON
The Obama administration is considering a change in the law for the military commissions at the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, that would clear the way for detainees facing the death penalty to plead guilty without a full trial.

The provision could permit military prosecutors to avoid airing the details of brutal interrogation techniques. It could also allow the five detainees who have been charged with the Sept. 11 attacks to achieve their stated goal of pleading guilty to gain what they have called martyrdom.

The proposal, in a draft of legislation that would be submitted to Congress, has not been publicly disclosed. It was circulated to officials under restrictions requiring secrecy. People who have read or been briefed on it said it had been presented to Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates by an administration task force on detention.

The proposal would ease what has come to be recognized as the government’s difficult task of prosecuting men who have confessed to terrorism but whose cases present challenges. Much of the evidence against the men accused in the Sept. 11 case, as well as against other detainees, is believed to have come from confessions they gave during intense interrogations at secret C.I.A. prisons. In any proceeding, the reliability of those statements would be challenged, making trials difficult and drawing new political pressure over detainee treatment.

Some experts on the commissions said such a proposal would raise new questions about the fairness of a system that has been criticized as permitting shortcuts to assure convictions....

actsnoblemartin
06-07-2009, 08:04 PM
hahahahahaha

:coffee: :lol:

You eman you would deny a prro mistreated terrorist access to your home rather then putting them in a cell? How rcist and cruel of you V

How many news reports have their been where inmates are recrutied into terror groups in our prisions? They are overcrowded enough

Seems your beloved Dems are paying attention to what you dismiss as political theater - what the voters think

Of course this all part of the change Obama promised :laugh2:

http://thecommunityorganizer.net/images/Torture.jpg

red states rule
06-08-2009, 07:55 AM

Not according to the current Rasmussen poll - unless you call a 53% approval rating "pleased with their President"

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

moderate democrat
06-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Not according to the current Rasmussen poll - unless you call a 53% approval rating "pleased with their President"

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

most Pronunciation: \ˈmōst\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English mǣst; akin to Old High German meist most, Old English māra more — more at more
Date: before 12th century
1 : greatest in quantity, extent, or degree <the most ability>
2 : the majority of <most people>

I certainly DO consider 53% approval rating as "most people being pleased with their president". It is, after all, what the word "most" means.

red states rule
06-08-2009, 08:21 AM
most Pronunciation: \ˈmōst\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English mǣst; akin to Old High German meist most, Old English māra more — more at more
Date: before 12th century
1 : greatest in quantity, extent, or degree <the most ability>
2 : the majority of <most people>

I certainly DO consider 53% approval rating as "most people being pleased with their president". It is, after all, what the word "most" means.

53% and FALLING :laugh2:

moderate democrat
06-08-2009, 08:23 AM
53% and FALLING

"most" still applies.

so you were wrong. no surprise there!:lol:

red states rule
06-08-2009, 08:24 AM
"most" still applies.

and as you used to point out - the trend is not looking good for the messiah

No comment on the trend - no surprise there :laugh2:

Jeff
06-08-2009, 08:30 AM
"most" still applies.

53% lol, I wonder if these were the same people polled that thought his running mate was Sarah Palin, lol, lets see you have at least 25% of America is going to agree with him just cause of his skin color, another 25% just cause he is a Dem( party over country right Virgil) so to me it looks like 3% actually think he is doing a good job :laugh2:

red states rule
06-08-2009, 08:33 AM
53% lol, I wonder if these were the same people polled that thought his running mate was Sarah Palin, lol, lets see you have at least 25% of America is going to agree with him just cause of his skin color, another 25% just cause he is a Dem( party over country right Virgil) so to me it looks like 3% actually think he is doing a good job :laugh2:

Virgil can't believe "god" is down to a 53% approval rating

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=22917