PDA

View Full Version : In the Bible: Does the word "ALL" mean All?

-Cp
06-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Example:
All things are posible to him who Believes Mk9.23

I've been thinking about that verse you have there quoted
do you really think the word ALL there, means ALL as in anything?
i.e. do you think if you believed enough that you could jump off a cliff and fly?

crin63
06-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Example:
All things are posible to him who Believes Mk9.23

I've been thinking about that verse you have there quoted
do you really think the word ALL there, means ALL as in anything?
i.e. do you think if you believed enough that you could jump off a cliff and fly?

I think jumping off a building is where wisdom would come into play not faith. The context would suggest that Jesus abilities were being called into question which showed lack of faith on the fathers part and a lack of understanding who Jesus is. Jesus used it as an opportunity to point out the fathers lack of faith and put it back on the father. So no I don't think the, "All" you are questioning is in reference to being able to say a person being able to fly.

PostmodernProphet
06-04-2009, 06:57 PM

Take another look at Mark 9.....the man asked Christ to do something for him.....for Christ everything is possible.....the passage doesn't say that man is capable of doing anything.....

so in answer to your question, in "All things are possible to him who believes", "all" means "all".....but "to" doesn't mean "by"

-Cp
06-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Was one example - another scripture says:

"ALL Things are possible thru Christ who strengthens me"...

chloe
06-04-2009, 08:33 PM
The bible seems really complicated

PostmodernProphet
06-04-2009, 09:38 PM
The bible seems really complicated

depends on how you look at it....it can also be quite simple.....summarize it in three words...."creation, fall, redemption".....a few more words "God made it, mankind screwed it up, God fixed it"......

chloe
06-04-2009, 11:12 PM
depends on how you look at it....it can also be quite simple.....summarize it in three words...."creation, fall, redemption".....a few more words "God made it, mankind screwed it up, God fixed it"......

I understand points made by people who read it, I just don't get it myself whenever I've tried to read it.

PostmodernProphet
06-05-2009, 05:32 AM
I have had four times in my life where education has compelled me to read the Bible straight through from beginning to end.....what has always struck me the most from that exercise, is the unity of the scriptures....how passages from the OT fit snugly into passages from the NT.....how seemingly isolated items can stand out as shouts when we uncover what seem to be unrelated facts.....

for example, the OT spends a lot of time talking about the Messiah as the sacrificial lamb that would resolve the sins of Israel for once and for all.....recent archeology has told us that the sacrifical lambs that were used in the temple of Jerusalem were specifically raised for that purpose and of course the shepherds who tended those flocks were always the first to see the sacrificial lambs.....the temple flocks were kept in the hills around a little town called Bethlehem....it's where all the lambs sacrificed in the temple were born.....interesting, neh?......

chloe
06-05-2009, 08:23 AM
I have had four times in my life where education has compelled me to read the Bible straight through from beginning to end.....what has always struck me the most from that exercise, is the unity of the scriptures....how passages from the OT fit snugly into passages from the NT.....how seemingly isolated items can stand out as shouts when we uncover what seem to be unrelated facts.....

for example, the OT spends a lot of time talking about the Messiah as the sacrificial lamb that would resolve the sins of Israel for once and for all.....recent archeology has told us that the sacrifical lambs that were used in the temple of Jerusalem were specifically raised for that purpose and of course the shepherds who tended those flocks were always the first to see the sacrificial lambs.....the temple flocks were kept in the hills around a little town called Bethlehem....it's where all the lambs sacrificed in the temple were born.....interesting, neh?......

why did killing lambs resolve there responsibility for sin? Why don't they do that anymore? Why did God want them to kill?

PostmodernProphet
06-05-2009, 08:46 AM
why did killing lambs resolve there responsibility for sin? Why don't they do that anymore? Why did God want them to kill?

Sacrifice cleansed them of sin and made them righteous because that is the system God set up for Israel.....I don't know why orthodox Jews no longer do that, but Christianity teaches that since Christ came and died on the cross he has fulfilled the need for all sacrifices forever......we are made righteous through HIS sacrifice.......and as for the last, death is the consequence of disobedience....the sacrifice substituted it's life for the life we owed......

chloe
06-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Sacrifice cleansed them of sin and made them righteous because that is the system God set up for Israel.....I don't know why orthodox Jews no longer do that, but Christianity teaches that since Christ came and died on the cross he has fulfilled the need for all sacrifices forever......we are made righteous through HIS sacrifice.......and as for the last, death is the consequence of disobedience....the sacrifice substituted it's life for the life we owed......

why did jews kill lambs, why not just pick a sinner and kill them then? Also it makes me feel bad that God wanted his children to kill. I don't see why Jesus had to pay a price for the humans that were sinners, its not his fault or responsiblity. Why can't the sinner be held accountable for there own actions? Im sure you know what your talking about since your religious but I was not raised in a mainstream religion and whenever I ask those questions the religious people just get mad.

-Cp
06-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Uhh.. nice de-rail-job there chloe,, mind starting a new thread for that stuff?

Thanks!

chloe
06-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Thanks!

no need to, sorry if that wrecked your original question, I asked questions that came to my mind based on things people said in your thread. Sorry about that. :cool:

PostmodernProphet
06-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Why can't the sinner be held accountable for there own actions?

they can....and will.....it's what happens to all those who don't accept what Christ did FOR them......

I don't see why Jesus had to pay a price for the humans that were sinners, its not his fault or responsibility.

that's what makes it "sacrifice".....if it WAS his fault or responsibility, it would simply be justice.....

why not just pick a sinner and kill them then?

the life of a person who owed a life would not suffice to remove punishment from the rest of us.....that's why Jesus needs to be God....if he were simply a human being he would have been as guilty as the rest of us and deserve punishment himself.....

PostmodernProphet
06-05-2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks!

there's plenty of room here.....if someone else wants to post about your question, we can just go out and sit on the patio sipping lemonade......

5stringJeff
07-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Was one example - another scripture says:

"ALL Things are possible thru Christ who strengthens me"...

All things are possible, but not all things are in God's will. Could God make you (or your car) fly? Of course. Is it in His will to make that happen? Probably not - God works miracles in order to bring glory to Himself, not as parlor tricks.

-Cp
07-11-2009, 09:31 PM
All things are possible, but not all things are in God's will. Could God make you (or your car) fly? Of course. Is it in His will to make that happen? Probably not - God works miracles in order to bring glory to Himself, not as parlor tricks.

Actually - his will for all of our lives is in scripture - that we live a holy life unto him... that's it, end of story..

Gaffer
07-12-2009, 09:23 AM
WHY?

Why does a god that created ALL things, through whom anything is possible, need to be glorified by his creation? Needing to be glorified is a human trait and is a weakness in itself.

chesswarsnow
07-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Sorry bout that,

WHY?

Why does a god that created ALL things, through whom anything is possible, need to be glorified by his creation? Needing to be glorified is a human trait and is a weakness in itself.

1. Oh boy, get the hook, you don't ever ask these kinds of questions.:scared:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
07-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. This is a strange question.
2. But the word *all* can mean different things.
3. Sometimes include all,.....then at times still leave some out.
4. All means all unless its not all intended to be inclusive thereof.
5. Depending on its application.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

5stringJeff
07-12-2009, 05:41 PM
WHY?

We give glory to God because we recognize His position in relation to ours. We honor our political leaders by giving them titles; we honor our federal flag by standing and/or saluting it. These things are temporary, and we honor them; how much more should we honor the eternal, omnipotent God?

-Cp
07-12-2009, 05:50 PM
WHY?

Where has God ever stated that he "needs" to be glorified?