PDA

View Full Version : interesting

actsnoblemartin
06-05-2009, 12:31 AM
http://moderaterepublican.net/id1.html

So, just what is a moderate Republican? Some on the far-right would call us "RINOs" or "Republicans in Name Only." However, the moderate wing of the party has a well-established history. Paul Peter Jesep, founder of ModerateRepublican.com offers a fine defense of what it means to be a "progressive conservative."

PostmodernProphet
06-05-2009, 05:20 AM
http://moderaterepublican.net/id1.html

So, just what is a moderate Republican? Some on the far-right would call us "RINOs" or "Republicans in Name Only." However, the moderate wing of the party has a well-established history. Paul Peter Jesep, founder of ModerateRepublican.com offers a fine defense of what it means to be a "progressive conservative."

/shrugs.....looks like everything "far right" Republicans believe in as well.....in the old day we used to talk about "Rockefeller" Republicans and "Goldwater" Republicans instead of "moderate" or "Rino".....

Kathianne
06-05-2009, 05:41 AM
In all honesty the best way to look at political viewpoints is what one believes about the size and scope of government. I think it is a simple way to decide who to vote for, regardless of party. As for labeling the individual, I don't think the party labels succeed well there, too much stereotyping.

I'm for as limited government as feasible. I don't think the Federal government has the authority to be involved in education, marriage, an individual's health, bankruptcies, etc.

They should protect our borders; use due diligence regarding our monetary system, (which gave some legitimacy towards attempting TARP); care for interstate roads; businesses; national parks/lands; protect all citizens rights, etc.

While I haven't hope that they will return to their limited roll as outlined in the constitution, I do hope there will be some rolling back of interference in the future.

With the above in mind, I'm pretty 'liberal' when it comes to providing a safety net or helping hand to those in need. While most or all communities have people that run into difficult time, it seems to me that the more local and focused the 'help' the more likely it is to be successful. Rather than schools providing bi-lingual courses, ESL for children and adults should be available at libraries, churches, or community centers. Churches and community organizations probably save more people from true hunger than all the food stamps provided by the government. Other than in the large cities, the homeless are sheltered predominately by private groups, using volunteers.