PDA

View Full Version : For Some, Unemployment Is Welcome

red states rule
06-05-2009, 08:48 AM
I wonder how many of the people voted for Obama? So now it is OK not to work, sponge off your parents, and have fun - instead of gettting a job

Perhaps they will be better off if the Dems increase the number of weeks of unemployment they can get

For the 'funemployed,' unemployment is welcome

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-06/47299629.jpg

Michael Van Gorkom practices his swing at the driving range in Westchester. Other funemployed travel on the cheap for weeks, head back to school or volunteer

Michael Van Gorkom was laid off by Yahoo in late April. He didn't panic. He didn't rush off to a therapist. Instead, the 33-year-old Santa Monica resident discovered that being jobless "kind of settled nicely."

Week one: "I thought, 'OK . . . I need to send out resumes, send some e-mails, need to do networking."

Week two: "A little less."

Every week since: "I'm going to go to the beach and enjoy some margaritas."

What most people would call unemployment, Van Gorkom embraced as "funemployment."

While millions of Americans struggle to find work as they face foreclosures and bankruptcy, others have found a silver lining in the economic meltdown. These happily jobless tend to be single and in their 20s and 30s. Some were laid off. Some quit voluntarily, lured by generous buyouts.

Buoyed by severance, savings, unemployment checks or their parents, the funemployed do not spend their days poring over job listings. They travel on the cheap for weeks. They head back to school or volunteer at the neighborhood soup kitchen. And at least till the bank account dries up, they're content living for today.

"I feel like I've been given a gift of time and clarity," said Aubrey Howell, 29, of Franklin, Tenn., who was laid off from her job as a tea shop manager in April. After sleeping in late and visiting family in Florida, she recently mused on Twitter: "Unemployment or funemployment?"

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-funemployment4-2009jun04,0,7581684.story

chloe
06-05-2009, 09:00 AM
I hate my job I have to admit sometimes I wish I could have those options. But when my company closed last year and everyone lost there job I was a nervous wreck until I found another one, so even when I was out of work all I could think of was working and I couldnt relax until I was employed again.

red states rule
06-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I hate my job I have to admit sometimes I wish I could have those options. But when my company closed last year and everyone lost there job I was a nervous wreck until I found another one, so even when I was out of work all I could think of was working and I couldnt relax until I was employed again.

Keep working Chloe. Obama needs your tax money to pay the bums, and pay for his pork projects and national healthcare program. You have alot of people on YOU working while they relax and play golf

chloe
06-05-2009, 09:06 AM
I have to work i have two kids to support. My ex husband isnt working and all the pressure is on me.but my job is just a low paying job I don't even make $25,000 a year but I am proud that I get no state assistance at all and pay my own way. It does make me mad when I see lazy people live off the government.

red states rule
06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I have to work i have two kids to support. My ex husband isnt working and all the pressure is on me.but my job is just a low paying job I don't even make $25,000 a year but I am proud that I get no state assistance at all and pay my own way. It does make me mad when I see lazy people live off the government.

I am sure you are passing your values on to your children - and that is one of the best things you can do for them Chloe

I do find it strange, when unemployment was around 5% under Pres Bush, the liberal media reported stories on how people were suffering

Now when unemployment is over 9% under Obama and the Dems, the unemployed are happy and having a party

emmett
06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Mike needs to be practicing actually, his swing is terrible. Looks like Gumby.

red states rule
06-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Mike needs to be practicing actually, his swing is terrible. Looks like Gumby.

Maybe Gov Arnold can get some money from the stimulus bill to provide golf lessons for the unemployed. Have to get them ready to reenter the workforce right?

After all, some big business deals are made on the golf course, and a bad game could kill the deal

chloe
06-05-2009, 09:15 AM
I am sure you are passing your values on to your children - and that is one of the best things you can do for them Chloe

I do find it strange, when unemployment was around 5% under Pres Bush, the liberal media reported stories on how people were suffering

Now when unemployment is over 9% under Obama and the Dems, the unemployed are happy and having a party

Yeah I try to tell my kids whatever choices you make in life you have to be responsible for it is not up to the government to pay your way. I got married when i was 16 and I worked 2 jobs and went to school but I couldn't keep my grades up so i dropped out. So because of my poor judgement I have to deal with the consequences and I don't think taxpayers should have to suffer for my bad judgement. How do people learn to take responsiblity if they get bailed out by the government?

red states rule
06-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah I try to tell my kids whatever choices you make in life you have to be responsible for it is not up to the government to pay your way. I got married when i was 16 and I worked 2 jobs and went to school but I couldn't keep my grades up so i dropped out. So because of my poor judgement I have to deal with the consequences and I don't think taxpayers should have to suffer for my bad judgement. How do people learn to take responsiblity if they get bailed out by the government?

Great principals to pass on to your kids

People will NOT take responsiblity if they get bailed out by the government - that is why the libs want to bail them out so they will become dependent on the government - and thus them

I owe you rep for you attitude and the lessons you are teaching your kids