PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy bill would make employers provide care

chloe
06-06-2009, 08:25 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) - Employers would be required to offer health care to employees or pay a penalty _ and all Americans would be guaranteed health insurance _ under a draft bill circulated Friday by Sen. Edward M. Kennedy's health committee.

The bill would provide subsidies to help poor people pay for care, guarantee patients the right to select any doctor they want and require everyone to purchase insurance, with exceptions for those who can't afford to.

Insurers would be supposed to offer a basic level of care and would be required to cover all comers, without turning people away because of pre-existing conditions or other reasons. Insurance companies' profits would be limited, and private companies would have to compete with a new public "affordable access" plan that would for the first time offer government-sponsored health care to Americans not eligible for Medicare, Medicaid or other programs.

It all adds up to sweeping changes in how America's health care system operates and aims to achieve President Barack Obama's goal of holding down costs and extending health coverage to 50 million uninsured Americans.

It's already been known that Kennedy's health committee was planning to pursue most of the concepts outlined in the draft of the bill, called the "American Health Choices Act." But it's the first actual bill language to circulate since Congress began working on Obama's health care overhaul.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=128&sid=6382677

Mr. P
06-06-2009, 08:58 AM
The draft doesn't address how this would all be paid for. That remains a major sticking point.

:laugh2: Typical Liberal Dem approach..spend now, figure out how to tell people their taxes are going up later...let em get used to free stuff first then they'll buy any tax raise. If it wasn't so true with the sheep these days it'd be :lame2:

PostmodernProphet
06-06-2009, 01:18 PM
couple this with the decision to tax health insurance benefits and it makes a lot of sense from the liberal perspective.....

creativeage
06-06-2009, 01:43 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) - Employers would be required to offer health care to employees or pay a penalty _ and all Americans would be guaranteed health insurance _ under a draft bill circulated Friday by Sen. Edward M. Kennedy's health committee.

My only concern here is, being a mainstreet business owner, has always been, what percentage specifically would I have to pay for employee health care?

The bill would provide subsidies to help poor people pay for care, guarantee patients the right to select any doctor they want and require everyone to purchase insurance, with exceptions for those who can't afford to.

Right to choose our own doctors is always a good thing

Insurers would be supposed to offer a basic level of care and would be required to cover all comers, without turning people away because of pre-existing conditions or other reasons. Insurance companies' profits would be limited, and private companies would have to compete with a new public "affordable access" plan that would for the first time offer government-sponsored health care to Americans not eligible for Medicare, Medicaid or other programs.

Like the idea of eliminating the horrendous pre-existing conditions.

It all adds up to sweeping changes in how America's health care system operates and aims to achieve President Barack Obama's goal of holding down costs and extending health coverage to 50 million uninsured Americans.

Fine, but back to who is really go to pay for it all? I wrote off ever getting social security years ago, so have to save up my own security - but not sure I can while still being an entreprenuer and facing a rise in my already high self-employment tax. It just gets me frustrated that even though I am someone who can help offer jobs, my little business will never be able to grow any larger to offer more jobs if I have pay more than 40% of taxes on top of having to pay for employee healthcare...what's a woman who is trying to make a difference to do?

For the record, my company currently is only 4 employees for this reason of fear of growth!

It's already been known that Kennedy's health committee was planning to pursue most of the concepts outlined in the draft of the bill, called the "American Health Choices Act." But it's the first actual bill language to circulate since Congress began working on Obama's health care overhaul.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=128&sid=6382677

As always, I just pray this is truly in the best interests of our nation:) I really do want people to get the care they need. I only question the politics-as-usual part not trusting many of our elected officials, that's all.

Mr. P
06-06-2009, 02:03 PM
As always, I just pray this is truly in the best interests of our nation:) I really do want people to get the care they need. I only question the politics-as-usual part not trusting many of our elected officials, that's all.

Actually it's a back door move to totally control health care through the elimination of private providers..

Did you know that in the stimulus plan that passed (that no one read first)..employers are now required to pay 65% of a former employees COBRA for 9 mos. (I think it was 9)? Now how many employers will continue to offer health insurance knowing they have that obligation?

creativeage
06-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Actually it's a back door move to totally control health care through the elimination of private providers..

Did you know that in the stimulus plan that passed (that no one read first)..employers are now required to pay 65% of a former employees COBRA for 9 mos. (I think it was 9)? Now how many employers will continue to offer health insurance knowing they have that obligation?

Totally a way to eliminate the freedoms of individual medical practice and soon, the destruction of thousands of jobs held by independant insurance agents just raising their families. Oh well - guess I will go more with holistic medicine whenever I can, that is, until they fall under regulation and control. Oh wait, I can just grow my own herbs in my back yard! (no, I do not mean "grass")

Ouch - didn't know that COBRA percentage...hence why we have only been working with freelancers/1099, and limit the hours they work. I honestly do not have a choice in these times - besides, in my creative industry, it forces those who are truly motivated to work hard to be innovative, and rely on themselves, rather than hang onto the coat-tails of the success of someone else.

LiberalNation
06-06-2009, 02:41 PM
are now required to pay 65% of a former employees COBRA for 9 mos. (I think it was 9)? Now how many employers will continue to offer health insurance knowing they have that obligation?
Just like companies stopped hiring when they made them pay into the unemployment system too....

they still will if they want employees and don't want national health care.

Mr. P
06-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Just like companies stopped hiring when they made them pay into the unemployment system too....

they still will if they want employees and don't want national health care.

A small business will stop offering health care insurance, LN. Thus empowering the Gov National movement with demand. Why should they if they get tagged for 65% of the premium for 9 mos. AFTER an employee is gone? Like I said, it's a back door approach to nationalization.

PostmodernProphet
06-06-2009, 09:05 PM

can you link that?....as I understand it, they have to make COBRA available, but the employee pays for it....

Mr. P
06-06-2009, 09:49 PM
can you link that?....as I understand it, they have to make COBRA available, but the employee pays for it....

None that I have to post, PMP. We share a building with a insurance co. They were my source to verify this was true after I had heard it on the radio.

Yes, COBRA has been available for a long time and the employee paid the premium..but now under the stimulus the former employer pays 65% of the premium for 9 mos.

LiberalNation
06-06-2009, 10:41 PM
good thing with this is more people will take them up on Cobra instead of going uninsured for months until they land a job and can start another program with a different company.

Mr. P
06-06-2009, 11:07 PM
good thing with this is more people will take them up on Cobra instead of going uninsured for months until they land a job and can start another program with a different company.

It's not good at all really..no small business employer in their right mind will offer insurance knowing they may have to pay 65% of a premium for an employee they no longer employ. Or they'll cut costs to cover the expense. Ya know where they'll cut? Wages. I'd guess the big company's will do the same over time.

Don't you get it?