PDA

View Full Version : Heavy metal band delivers powerful message

chloe
06-06-2009, 08:27 AM
By Carole Mikita
SALT LAKE CITY -- Members of a Utah heavy metal rock band will add a message to their music during a weekend concert. The message comes from personal experience and concern for their own children.

The members of "Unthinkable Thoughts" use heavy metal music to raise awareness about childhood sexual abuse. For the lead singer, Jimmy Benson, this is personal.

"I'm speaking from the heart because I'm a victim myself. You know, the person, he did end up going to prison, but then he got out and reoffended. It was really sad," he said.

The band members say education is key. Predators, they say, are in every walk of life, so people need to be aware and know where past offenders are.

At every concert it gives, the band sings its trademark song, "We are the Innocent."

Lead guitarist Anthony Feraco said, "Because we have children, we have beautiful children that we love dearly. It would kill us if anything bad would happen to them."

Unthinkable Thoughts wants children and young people to know they are not alone.

Benson said, "There are so many kids out there that do get hurt and they don't have a voice. We want to be that voice. We want to speak out for them."

This band makes more than music. The members say they take time to listen; they want to help.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=6725131