PDA

View Full Version : Do kids pick up things quicker than adults?

gabosaurus
06-07-2009, 08:32 PM
I have never taught my eight-year-old daughter any words of Spanish. She doesn't get type of instruction.
But every time my daughter comes home from staying with my sister and her husband in East Los Angeles, she has picked up a few new Spanish words. Just by hanging out with the kids there and going places with her aunt and uncle.
At this point, my daughter knows almost as much Spanish as my husband or I. Never encountered anything like that.

Kathianne
06-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I have never taught my eight-year-old daughter any words of Spanish. She doesn't get type of instruction.
But every time my daughter comes home from staying with my sister and her husband in East Los Angeles, she has picked up a few new Spanish words. Just by hanging out with the kids there and going places with her aunt and uncle.
At this point, my daughter knows almost as much Spanish as my husband or I. Never encountered anything like that.

Wow, what kind of schools do you get in CA today? Our school starts Spanish in K. By 2nd grade they can order in restaurants in Spanish and do so. Maybe you need to check out alternatives? You're not providing your daughter with a complete education.

gabosaurus
06-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Kathianne, we are talking public schools in California. The kids are lucky to still have desks to sit at. We don't have foreign language (or anything beyond basic skills) in our elementary schools.

My sister has convinced my daughter to enjoy eating vegetables. Something even my mom couldn't do. Yet another reason to worship my sister.

crin63
06-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Any child without learning disabilities immersed in a language will quickly learn the language. So its not surprising for a child to pick up words and phrases just from being around them.

Thats why its ridiculous to have classes in multiple languages in public schools. English immersion works for students who speak other languages.

Trigg
06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Wow, what kind of schools do you get in CA today? Our school starts Spanish in K. By 2nd grade they can order in restaurants in Spanish and do so. Maybe you need to check out alternatives? You're not providing your daughter with a complete education.

Public schools here don't start foreign languages until highschool. I wish they started younger, kids are like sponges and learn so much faster.

Kathianne
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Public schools here don't start foreign languages until highschool. I wish they started younger, kids are like sponges and learn so much faster.

Ours do. As I said, beginning in kindergarten.

glockmail
06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Do kids pick up things quicker than adults? Of course they do they're closer to the floor. :laugh2: