PDA

View Full Version : Court rejects challenge to 'don't ask, don't tell'

LiberalNation
06-08-2009, 11:06 AM
No suprise there. A lot of gay groups are growing frustrated with the Obama administrations inaction and silence on important issues like gay marriage and dadt. I still see dadt ending in Obama's second term tho.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090608/ap_on_go_su_co/us_supreme_court_gays_military

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court on Monday turned down a challenge to the Pentagon policy forbidding gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military, granting an Obama administration request to maintain the Clinton-era "don't ask, don't tell" directive.

The court said it will not hear an appeal from former Army Capt. James Pietrangelo II, who was dismissed under the military's policy.

The federal appeals court in Boston earlier threw out a lawsuit filed by Pietrangelo and 11 other veterans. He was the only member of that group who asked the high court to rule that the policy is unconstitutional. In 1993, President Bill Clinton established the policy as a compromise after strong resistance from the military and Congress toward allowing gays to serve openly in the armed forces.

In court papers, the administration said the appeals court ruled correctly in this case when it found that "don't ask, don't tell" is "rationally related to the government's legitimate interest in military discipline and cohesion."

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman referred requests for comment to the Justice Department, but said the military policy "implements the law."

"The law requires the (Defense) Department to separate from the armed services members who engage in or attempt to engage in homosexual acts; state they are homosexual or bisexual; or marry or attempt to marry a person of the same biological sex," Whitman said in a statement.

During last year's campaign, President Barack Obama indicated he supported the eventual repeal of the policy, but he has made no specific move to do so since taking office in January. Meanwhile, the White House has said it won't stop gays and lesbians from being dismissed from the military.

glockmail
06-08-2009, 03:31 PM
No suprise there. A lot of gay groups are growing frustrated with the Obama administrations inaction and silence on important issues like gay marriage and dadt. I still see dadt ending in Obama's second term tho...... LOL He doesn't do what he promised yet you're already starting to campaign for 2012.

Sitarro
06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
No suprise there. A lot of gay groups are growing frustrated with the Obama administrations inaction and silence on important issues like gay marriage and dadt. I still see dadt ending in Obama's second term tho.

Blacks continue to vote for Democrats because they too have believed(for 60 years) that the next term will be the one where they get their prize......... good luck.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

What would be interesting, would be the amount of "homosexuals" that would lose interest in the lifestyle if they were finally accepted........ win the battle, lose the troops. Take away the taboo and all you have is a bunch of bored people looking for something else to do.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

LiberalNation
06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
LOL He doesn't do what he promised yet you're already starting to campaign for 2012.
Not my biggest issue promise. He signed the equal pay bill right quick and nominated a female SC judge. A feminists dream barring a female prez.

Jeff
06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Not my biggest issue promise. He signed the equal pay bill right quick and nominated a female SC judge. A feminists dream barring a female prez.

You are easy to satisfy, lol, all the broken promises and all you care about is a judge,and equal pay? Well forget the equal pay cause the way Obama is going ya wont have a job, ooo well it takes all kinds I guess.

LiberalNation
06-08-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't have a job now, I never had one under Bush, my mommy and daddy are supporting me through college.

Jeff
06-08-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't have a job now, I never had one under Bush, my mommy and daddy are supporting me through college.

I wish you all the best with college, lets just hope when ya get out there will still be a place for you to go to work.

LiberalNation
06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
there is always sick people, nursing looks stable. Some hospitals are cutting back because of the recession but once all the people going without dr visits because they don't have insurance get really sick, they wont be able to put it off anymore.

Jeff
06-08-2009, 05:20 PM
there is always sick people, nursing looks stable. Some hospitals are cutting back because of the recession but once all the people going without dr visits because they don't have insurance get really sick, they wont be able to put it off anymore.

Here IN GA they have shut one local hospital or it is in the process and talking of another, My sister in law is a respiratory therapist and is having trouble finding work, actually she just found a job with a nursing home just for patients on ventilators, but work isn't good, she works one weak and the next is slow, seems the field is flooded and they are only taking the most qualified, so hit the books hard

LiberalNation
06-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I know, that's why I am thinking the navy after school now. I want job security.

glockmail
06-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I know, that's why I am thinking the navy after school now. I want job security. Don't be a dummy if you're going Navy do ROTC while you're in school and get $200/ month spending cash and if your smart tuition assistance maybe even a full boat scholarship.

You just can't tell them that you prefer clams over wieners. :poke:

LiberalNation
06-08-2009, 06:41 PM
no way, then you have to take the class and my schedule is maxed out. I will do the nurse candidate program and get paid $10,000 bonus plus $1000 a month and not have to do any work for it until after I graduate.

The only bad part would be being stuck in the navy if I hated it and the 5 weeks of officer development school.

jimnyc
06-08-2009, 08:00 PM
The Supreme Court on Monday turned down a challenge to the Pentagon policy forbidding gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military, granting an Obama administration request to maintain the Clinton-era "don't ask, don't tell" directive.

WHooHoo, another blow for the homos! (no pun intended) :dance:

LiberalNation
06-08-2009, 08:15 PM
6 states where gay marriage is legal, a few years ago there was none, not one. We are moving along at a nice pace, just a little more time.

darin
06-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Sure wish they'd REALLY push for Equality in Marriage...Allowing ANY adults the privilege to enter into a marriage. Maybe consenting animals, too.

jimnyc
06-09-2009, 06:37 AM
6 states where gay marriage is legal, a few years ago there was none, not one. We are moving along at a nice pace, just a little more time.

While that may be true, have you also noticed the overwhelming rise of those with the desire to protect "marriage"? And do you also recognize the places where it was legalized only to be overturned? Look what just took place in California. With any luck, eventually we will see an amendment to the US Constitution protecting marriage. And yes, I know that traditional marriages has it's share of problems, but I would rather see America face those problems head on rather than adding deviancy and abnormalities to the issue.

LiberalNation
06-09-2009, 07:52 AM
With any luck, eventually we will see an amendment to the US Constitution protecting marriage.
never happen, do you know how hard it is to amend the constitution when 40% of the country doesn't support it and neither does any forseable congress. What world you living in.

jimnyc
06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
never happen, do you know how hard it is to amend the constitution when 40% of the country doesn't support it and neither does any forseable congress. What world you living in.

Unlike you, I am living in the "straight" world. Go to just about every possible polling site you can imagine. You'll see that about 60% of democrats support same sex marriage, moderates are split down the middle, and republicans are opposed at about 80%. Then look at the trends... The "revolution" actually peaked a long time ago when 46% supported gay marriage and overall it now sits at about 40%. With all the court fights and bellyaching over the past 4-8 years, the movement has actually LOST ground for their cause. Of course you have democrat led states and activist courts that have since allowed marriages and/or civil unions - and THAT has been what turned the downward trend against same sex marriage.

I'm not saying we'll see it in the next few years, but if the trends continue, people are going to be pushed by queers and the courts and they'll have no alternative but to fight for a federal movement aka constitutional amendment. Don't think just because dems have the reigns right now that you'll never see a republican led congress and a conservative led supreme court - and if that happens - the queers can go in the closet permanently.

LiberalNation
06-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Don't think just because dems have the reigns right now that you'll never see a republican led congress and a conservative led supreme court - and if that happens - the queers can go in the closet permanently.
No, I don't think the country will get that conservative again (in my lifetime) just like blacks wont be put back under jim crow laws and segregation.

jimnyc
06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
No, I don't think the country will get that conservative again (in my lifetime) just like blacks wont be put back under jim crow laws and segregation.

Are you honestly comparing who has an opportunity to lead our country and our congress to whether or not segregation will return? You're way to naive an uneducated for someone now in college.

LiberalNation
06-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Are you honestly comparing who has an opportunity to lead our country and our congress to whether or not segregation will return? You're way to naive an uneducated for someone now in college.
I'm talking a country where an amendment banning gay marriage would pass.

PostmodernProphet
06-09-2009, 05:31 PM

there is no relationship between being conservative and issues on racism......liberals are just as racist, if not more, than conservatives.....

PostmodernProphet
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm talking a country where an amendment banning gay marriage would pass.

gay marriage is already banned....in those states that have had courts approve gay marriage, votes to reverse the court decision consistently pass....even in California and Massachussets......

LiberalNation
06-09-2009, 07:24 PM
different standards then a federal change.

jimnyc
06-09-2009, 07:59 PM

California and Mass. are overwhelmingly democrat states and yet have serious issues with gay marriage. As you know, Cali voted to ban gay marriage via an amendment and was later upheld via the courts. What do you think is going to happen when the queers push more and more in other states and conservatives get more involved? The only sticky issue is that people have always had issues with amending our US constitution, but I assure you, if it comes down to the only resort to protect the sanctity of marriage - it's going to eventually happen. And even if it doesn't - if democrat states are having this much trouble, how do you think the conservative states are going to vote on state constitutional amendments?

Eventually you'll have 48 states banning gay marriage and 2 allowing it. They'll be filled with queers and alienated from the rest of the nation. Either way I'll consider it a win for "my" side.

LiberalNation
06-09-2009, 08:09 PM
how did you go from 6 to 2. It will be 5 at min.

PostmodernProphet
06-09-2009, 08:52 PM

???....what different standards?.....

LiberalNation
06-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Oh I don't know, first congres house and senate must approve it and they couldn't under Bush, then what is it, 3/5ths of the states must ratify it, not likely for 46% of the population supporting gay marriage. It's how they talk about banning abortion, been what, 30 years now and still hasn't happened.

What I think youu might see is the SC making it a right (gay marriage) under the equal protection clause, followed by people slowly but surely accepting it like segration ending, blacks and whites marrying.

Mr. P
06-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Oh I don't know, first congres house and senate must approve it and they couldn't under Bush, then what is it, 3/5ths of the states must ratify it, not likely for 46% of the population supporting gay marriage. It's how they talk about banning abortion, been what, 30 years now and still hasn't happened.

What I think youu might see is the SC making it a right (gay marriage) under the equal protection clause, followed by people slowly but surely accepting it like segration ending, blacks and whites marrying.

Equal protection was about race and a few other things but not lifestyle.

LiberalNation
06-09-2009, 11:11 PM
That is your interpretation.....

Mr. P
06-09-2009, 11:23 PM

No it's the clause.

jimnyc
06-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Equal protection was about race and a few other things but not lifestyle.

The below stated clause is extremely similar to the Employment Title 7, which protects solely the same classes provided below. There's nothing to interpret, unless you're an activist judge. To get your interpretation, an additional amendment would need to be passed to add an additional classification to protect - and we know how you feel about the odds of the US constitution being amended.

Clause set out in the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution that dictates that state governments cannot pass or enforce any laws based solely on a specific classification of person by race, gender, religion, ethnicity, or age.

LiberalNation
06-10-2009, 07:17 AM
find where it says written out that abortion is protected private medical procedure in the constitution. Yet all challenges to roe v wade have failed.

jimnyc
06-10-2009, 08:36 AM
find where it says written out that abortion is protected private medical procedure in the constitution. Yet all challenges to roe v wade have failed.

So? And how does that dispute the fact that queers are NOT a protected characteristic? Are you implying that you feel the SC will get involved and "create law" granting rights to queers under the equal protection clause where the characteristics are already clearly spelled out? You're comparing apples and oranges and getting your hopes up on a seriously flawed analogy.

And you haven't challenged the facts I presented showing that in the past 8 years the queer movement has actually lost traction. Queers want to believe they are getting more and more people involved in their cause and they are gaining traction. They fail to realize that they are also creating a stir amongst those wanting to protect marriage and bringing out more and more of us. We just don't dance in the streets as cross dressers to gather support, and don't make headlines based on queer theatrics.

PostmodernProphet
06-10-2009, 10:48 AM

properly drafted ballot proposals to limit abortion have not failed.......in fact, they gain increasing support every time.....