PDA

View Full Version : why is raising taxes the wrong thing to do?

actsnoblemartin
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
just thought id ask

PostmodernProphet
06-08-2009, 09:32 PM
if you take money out of the system, the economy slows down.....if you put money into the system, the economy picks up.....raising taxes takes money out of the system, slowing the economy down....now is not a good time to slow the economy......

April15
06-08-2009, 09:50 PM
It depends on WHO the tax is intended to target.
Take me for example. If a tax was imposed on me I'd laugh as a stone has no money. Now take a person who has investments. It is obvious the person has income they will not put into the current economy of this nation. Well except for plane tickets out to enjoy a tropical vacation. A 20% tax on the unearned income from those investments will not in any way brake the bank for that person. It may cancel the tropical vacation.
Now for the real question: Why do you need a rise in revenue? Perhaps the author of the tax bill should be fired for unauthorized stupidity. At the least it would save the taxpayer a small measure of money and if enough of these bozos were to be fired hell we may have an abundance of cash!

Kathianne
06-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Take me for example. If a tax was imposed on me I'd laugh as a stone has no money. Now take a person who has investments. It is obvious the person has income they will not put into the current economy of this nation. Well except for plane tickets out to enjoy a tropical vacation. A 20% tax on the unearned income from those investments will not in any way brake the bank for that person. It may cancel the tropical vacation.
Now for the real question: Why do you need a rise in revenue? Perhaps the author of the tax bill should be fired for unauthorized stupidity. At the least it would save the taxpayer a small measure of money and if enough of these bozos were to be fired hell we may have an abundance of cash!

So the answer is for all to copy your fine example to get the most out of the government, while doing as little as possible?

PostmodernProphet
06-09-2009, 06:28 AM
April is a good example....he likes to talk about how he used to be a successful businessman but that Reagan took all his money......he used to benefit the economy, now he is just a useless shell.....see what happens when the government takes money out of the economy?.......

red states rule
06-09-2009, 06:40 AM

Not only the airline tickets April. How about the company the trip is booked thru? What about any new clothes that would be part to wear on the trip? Is it just airline tickets? What about cruise tickets? How about the skycaps at the airport and cruise terminal to help with the luggage? How about the cabbie driving them? What if the women taking the trip wants to get their hair done prior to leaving?

If they stay in the US for the vacation - what about the hotal staff that works for tips? Or the city they spend their money in?

I could go on, but I have made my point

I see know your basic knowledge of basic economics is small, and now I understand why your business failed - and WHEN your taxes are raised why you will not be able to pay them

gabosaurus
06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
How does the country get the money to run, anyway? Does it come from other sources?
You want to live in the best country in the world, you have to pay for it.

crin63
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Because the government like you and me needs to live within its means and not keep taking more and more from us or borrowing from other countries.

If you run your affairs the way the government does you will be in debt up to your eyeballs and looking to file for bankruptcy in no time at all.

Do you go borrow money from neighbor so you can keep spending out of control? Do you go take money from your family and friends to keep spending out of control? No, you cut back on things to live within your means, as the government should.

The government has over stepped its duties and obligations with social programs that should not be.

Nukeman
06-09-2009, 12:42 PM
How does the country get the money to run, anyway? Does it come from other sources?
You want to live in the best country in the world, you have to pay for it.When YOU ask about the "running' of the country, what exactly are you wanting to know.

No where in the constitution does it give the government permission to take money thru taxes to give to another who is less fortunate. That is robbery plain and simple.

So the actual "running" of the government is not that expensive. We lose sight of what the government is actually "SUPPOSED" to run. EVERY SINGLE entitlement program out there is the direct taking of money from someone successful and giving it to someone less successful that once again is theft, robbery, extortion, or whatever term you wish to use. NO WHERE does the "government" have that permission ANYWHERE..........:poke::slap:

Little-Acorn
06-09-2009, 12:45 PM

We'd like to. But the government keeps taking our money instead, before we have a chance to.

:eek:

MtnBiker
06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
He is a question;

Why is letting people keep more of the money they earn the wrong thing to do?

MtnBiker
06-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Now take a person who has investments. It is obvious the person has income they will not put into the current economy of this nation.

Wow, the enormous ignorance of this statement is amazing.

MtnBiker
06-09-2009, 01:52 PM

Paying for poorly run bankrupt companies to prop up labor unions does not make this the best country.

It is not a matter of government revenue, it is a matter of government spending.

Little-Acorn
06-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Wow, the enormous ignorance of this statement is amazing.

And required, to maintain the modern-liberal outlook.

glockmail
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
just thought id ask Because the government has grown way beyond its Constitutional powers.

Insein
06-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Paying for poorly run bankrupt companies to prop up labor unions does not make this the best country.

It is not a matter of government revenue, it is a matter of government spending.

That is evident by having the highest government revenue on record during the Bush years when they had TAX CUTS in effect. This past year, first year of Obama and the tax repeals, we have the lowest revenues on record in the last 15 years. Imagine that. Higher taxes, less revenue. Lower taxes, more revenue. The proof is in the pudding.

MtnBiker
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Because the government has grown way beyond its Constitutional powers.

Not so, our representatives are elected by the people to decide what is best for everybody and since the constitution gives us the general welfare clause congress can tax and spend anyway they sit fit.

There, I saved our resident communist the trouble, he doesn't have to post now.

glockmail
06-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Not so, our representatives are elected by the people to decide what is best for everybody and since the constitution gives us the general welfare clause congress can tax and spend anyway they sit fit.

There, I saved our resident communist the trouble, he doesn't have to post now. I suggest the Commie read Federalist 41 for an understanding of the general welfare clause.

red states rule
06-09-2009, 05:38 PM

At what level of taxation do you consider fair Gabby? Many people (and families) are paying over 50% of their income to the government - yet Obama and the Dems want more?

At what level of spending on the governments part excessive? The next Obama budgey may well hit $4 trillion - with a defict exceeding $2 trillion

The pork under Obama, Reid, and Pelosi is at record levels and growing. Why should anyone pay more in taxes to fund their pet projects that do nothing to grow the economy?

April15
06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Having read your comments I have no idea how you ever made it this far in life other to suck the life out of everything you touch or do. Such a sad group of conservatives. But the humor you produce keeps me laughing!

red states rule
06-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Having read your comments I have no idea how you ever made it this far in life other to suck the life out of everything you touch or do. Such a sad group of conservatives. But the humor you produce keeps me laughing!

Why not answer the questions April, and my post on your "tropical vacation" - or is that asking too much of you? I have not posted how I blame former Presidents for my financial failures as you have

red states rule
06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Seems April has left another thread when the questions got to direct for him, and the facts became to hard to deal with

glockmail
06-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Having read your comments I have no idea how you ever made it this far in life other to suck the life out of everything you touch or do. Such a sad group of conservatives. But the humor you produce keeps me laughing! Such a typical response when someone's been annihilated in an debate and they're not man enough to admit it. *shrug*

Insein
06-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Its a pretty straightforward concept. Lower taxes means more money in the hands of individuals. More money for individuals means more people to create companies. More companies means more jobs. More people with jobs means more people paying taxes. More people with jobs also means more individuals that are self reliant and don't need to rely on government.

Higher taxes means less money in people's pockets. Less money means less companies created. Less companies means less jobs. Less jobs means less people paying taxes. Less people working also means more people that need to rely on the government. More people that rely on the government means more taxes needed. More taxes needed creates more people without jobs and more people that need to rely on the government.

Lower taxes = independence
Higher taxes = dependence

Pretty simple.