PDA

View Full Version : Senate approves further smoking restrictions

gabosaurus
06-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Yet another step toward banning smoking in all public places. Smokers will still be free to kill themselves in the privacy of their own homes. Along with the rest of their families.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090612/ap_on_go_co/us_fda_tobacco

darin
06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
what a crock of shit. Geesh. :(

Freedom. FREEDOM is dying. :(

red states rule
06-12-2009, 04:11 AM
As the US economy crumbles because of Obamanomics, the left passes legislation that is designed to put more US companies out of business

More people without jobs, and more important to libs - LESS TAX REVENUE off the sales of cigarettes

Dems do this while North Korea prepares for another nuclear test and working with Iran on new missiles.

Don't you love this hope and change folks?

Kathianne
06-12-2009, 04:13 AM
what a crock of shit. Geesh. :(

Freedom. FREEDOM is dying. :(

yep, that is what I'm seeing. By legislation, by actions, and it's going without much of a whimper.

red states rule
06-12-2009, 04:16 AM
yep, that is what I'm seeing. By legislation, by actions, and it's going without much of a whimper.

and more liberal control over another aspect of out lives

I see a huge increase in business for tax free, duty free, smoke shops. ONlY when the tax money drops will libs care about their actions

Monkeybone
06-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Yet another step toward banning smoking in all public places. Smokers will still be free to kill themselves in the privacy of their own homes. Along with the rest of their families.

it's not about where you can smoke, just regulating the advertising and cigs themselves.

Trinity
06-12-2009, 08:16 AM

That's because people are way more concerned about American idol, and all those stupid reality shows. I just wonder when they are going to wake up and realize they are now the reality show.

emmett
06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Government knows best people. Why do you Conservative types always resist? Trouble makers...that is what you are!

red states rule
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Government knows best people. Why do you Conservative types always resist? Trouble makers...that is what you are!

Is it me or is Virgil posting under Emmett's name?

Insein
06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
From what Ive read, this has less to do with helping people and more to do with control and rewarding "party contributors" at Phillip Morris. With this new legislation, Phillip Morris will be the only company that will have the financial ability to survive the market for cigarettes. They will be a monopoly and be allowed to continue to produce their product without restriction on the ingredients but will have to pay heavy taxes as a cost. All other cigarette companies will be put out of business due to this cost while PM will survive.

So I wouldn't be to quick to praise this, Gab. Its not so much about everyone's health. Thats merely the "smoke" screen if you will to hide the real agenda.

red states rule
06-12-2009, 11:00 AM
From what Ive read, this has less to do with helping people and more to do with control and rewarding "party contributors" at Phillip Morris. With this new legislation, Phillip Morris will be the only company that will have the financial ability to survive the market for cigarettes. They will be a monopoly and be allowed to continue to produce their product without restriction on the ingredients but will have to pay heavy taxes as a cost. All other cigarette companies will be put out of business due to this cost while PM will survive.

So I wouldn't be to quick to praise this, Gab. Its not so much about everyone's health. Thats merely the "smoke" screen if you will to hide the real agenda.

What Gabby fails to get is, like with the sales of gasoline - the government makes more in taxes off the sale of a gallon of gas then what the oil companies make in profit

As with the tobacco companies. The government makes more in taxes of the sales of a pack of smokes then the profit the company that makes them earns

It is really, and has always has been about, TAXES anf POWER

emmett
06-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Luckily...the president is a smoker!

red states rule
06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Luckily...the president is a smoker!

and I will send him the link to a duty free smoke shop so ilke most of his cabinet picks he can avoid paying his taxes

Gaffer
06-12-2009, 11:27 AM
and I will send him the link to a duty free smoke shop so ilke most of his cabinet picks he can avoid paying his taxes

I'd like to have that link myself. The tax on bags of tobacco has gone up 300%.

red states rule
06-12-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd like to have that link myself. The tax on bags of tobacco has gone up 300%.

I will send it to you in a PM

What brand do you smoke?

Gaffer
06-12-2009, 11:49 AM
I will send it to you in a PM

What brand do you smoke?

Thanks got the link. I make my own from bags of tobacco. Went to the site and saved it in favorites.

Like I said in the PM, smokers are going to be the new "Jews" for the dark lord to go after. That way his regime doesn't appear racist. A war on tobacco and that "smoker problem".

red states rule
06-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks got the link. I make my own from bags of tobacco. Went to the site and saved it in favorites.

Like I said in the PM, smokers are going to be the new "Jews" for the dark lord to go after. That way his regime doesn't appear racist. A war on tobacco and that "smoker problem".

I know - and I am fed up with it. Everytime I turn around some damn liberal is wanting more and more of my moeny

Now I smoke and the damn government gets ZERO in taxes - and I pay 1/3 the retail

Funny how some liberals at work wanted the link and they ordered as well. Yes, even libs who voted for change do not want to help pay for it with higher taxes

Sitarro
06-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Hey red,
Do they stock cigars? Mine went up 80 cents a stick!

gabosaurus
06-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Now I smoke and the damn government gets ZERO in taxes - and I pay 1/3 the retail

You have cancer, yet you smoke? Now that makes a lot of sense!
Do you have any idea how much care costs for smokers and those afflicted with second-hand smoke? A ton.
If you want to kill yourself in the privacy of your own home, fine. But I believe the taxes can't be high enough. And tobacco pirates need to face the same penalties as drug pirates.

red states rule
06-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Hey red,
Do they stock cigars? Mine went up 80 cents a stick!

Yes they do. I sent you a PM with the link, Hope they carry your brand and you can save some money

red states rule
06-17-2009, 05:07 AM
Do you have any idea how much care costs for smokers and those afflicted with second-hand smoke? A ton.
If you want to kill yourself in the privacy of your own home, fine. But I believe the taxes can't be high enough. And tobacco pirates need to face the same penalties as drug pirates.

Thank you for your concern Gabby - and I thought you did not care

Gabby, I thought the multi billion dollar tobacco settlement was to cover the health care costs smokers added to the system

Like the states who get the money, you forgot that money was to used for that purpose. Seems few states used only a small portion of the money to actually offset those costs. Most of the money goes to close budget gaps or such vital costs like maintaining golf courses

As far as your belief taxes should be higher - it shows your lack of basic economic principals. Dems claim the higher tax is to provide health care ins for children. Seems you would want as many people as possible to smoke so the tax revenues ofr the children would be as high as possible - and you would not want to discourage people from smoking

Perhaps Obama will take over the tobacco companies, and then smoking will be cool with liberals

gabosaurus
06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Thank you for your concern Gabby - and I thought you did not care

Let's not overlook the point. You are basically committing suicide, and you want sympathy for it? How about taking care of yourself first?

Trigg
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM

The gov. wouldn't know what to do with itself if all smokers suddenly quit tomorrow. I take that back, they'd think of new taxes for you and me. Cigaretts generate a lot of tax money that the gov. NEEDS, they won't make it illegal.

Look what happened last summer. Gov. bitches about how much gas people use and talk till they're blue in the face about "Green" cars. Gas goes up, people stop driving. Gov. bitches about the taxes they're loosing and discusses upping the gas tax.

Trigg
06-17-2009, 12:16 PM

They should always have included an ingredience list, my guess is fewer people will start once they find out what's in it.

Don't look for them to ban smoking outside though. It is a legal substance people have the right to smoke as long as it stays that way.

red states rule
06-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Let's not overlook the point. You are basically committing suicide, and you want sympathy for it? How about taking care of yourself first?

I did not know you had a medical degree Gabby. My smoking has zero to do with my colon cancer

I want nothing from you Gabby - sympathy or anything else for that matter

You seemed to ignore the rest of my previous post - here it is if you care to reply

Gabby, I thought the multi billion dollar tobacco settlement was to cover the health care costs smokers added to the system

Like the states who get the money, you forgot that money was to used for that purpose. Seems few states used only a small portion of the money to actually offset those costs. Most of the money goes to close budget gaps or such vital costs like maintaining golf courses

As far as your belief taxes should be higher - it shows your lack of basic economic principals. Dems claim the higher tax is to provide health care ins for children. Seems you would want as many people as possible to smoke so the tax revenues ofr the children would be as high as possible - and you would not want to discourage people from smoking

Perhaps Obama will take over the tobacco companies, and then smoking will be cool with liberals

moderate democrat
06-17-2009, 11:03 PM
My smoking has zero to do with my colon cancer

jimnyc...please note... any comment from me about RSR and marlboro's had NOTHING do do with his unfortunate disease, but only about his use of cigarettes.

red states rule
06-17-2009, 11:05 PM
jimnyc...please note... any comment from me about RSR and marlboro's had NOTHING do do with his unfortunate disease, but only about his use of cigarettes.

Welcome back Virgil

We all know what you ment by your comment. Another example of your liberal compassion and tolerance

Binky
06-18-2009, 04:17 AM
What Gabby fails to get is, like with the sales of gasoline - the government makes more in taxes off the sale of a gallon of gas then what the oil companies make in profit

As with the tobacco companies. The government makes more in taxes of the sales of a pack of smokes then the profit the company that makes them earns

It is really, and has always has been about, TAXES anf POWER

This is so true. Money, money, money. Power, power, power. Together spell greed.

red states rule
06-18-2009, 06:38 AM
This is so true. Money, money, money. Power, power, power. Together spell greed.

Obama and the Dems do not care about anything but power. They want to push their agenda thru as quickly as possible so you will be FORCED to change your lifestyle to the way they want

Obama does not care if we can pay for his programs. Obama wants to tie the hands of future Presidents so his changes can't be reversed

Their arrogrance and thirst for power is now unchecked - and we will pay a steep price in both what we will pay for these changes, and the damage they will do to the country

gabosaurus
06-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Well dayum, there goes all my "pain in the ass" jokes, down the drain forever. :rolleyes:

RSR, it is obviously that you only believe what you want to believe. You spend all day "supporting" your right-wing fantasies with cut-and-paste crap from conservative blogs such as Newsbusters.

Health care is a serious crisis in this country. Smoking is a leading cause of health care costs. Therefore, the attempt is to marginalize the effects. If you want to smoke, do it at home. And pay more for it.

red states rule
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Well dayum, there goes all my "pain in the ass" jokes, down the drain forever. :rolleyes:

RSR, it is obviously that you only believe what you want to believe. You spend all day "supporting" your right-wing fantasies with cut-and-paste crap from conservative blogs such as Newsbusters.

Health care is a serious crisis in this country. Smoking is a leading cause of health care costs. Therefore, the attempt is to marginalize the effects. If you want to smoke, do it at home. And pay more for it.

I will try once more time Gabby

You seemed to ignore the rest of my previous post - here it is if you care to reply

BTW Gabby, the CBO reports that even with Obama blowing $1 trillion for Obamacare, it will onyl insure 1/3 of the uninsured. That means it will take $3 trillion to get the job done

Will that also provide "free" healthcare for illegals sine they are included in the uninsured number libs toss around

gabosaurus
06-18-2009, 10:27 AM
I didn't miss a thing. The settlement was primarily related to past health care issues, covering those involved in the case.
There are still millions of smoking-related health care issues still to be settled. Including those related to second-hand smoke.
Once you get past seeing only what you want to see, there are a ton of real issues out there.