PDA

View Full Version : What's going on in iran

Gaffer
06-15-2009, 09:32 AM
It's interesting that the media isn't covering any of this. There's a lot of serious shit going down in iran and nobody seems to have an interest.

http://noiri.blogspot.com/

This blogger has a lot of contacts in iran and is always getting reports from there on what is going on. He manages to get video's that are taken and sneaked out at great risk, yet the media here doesn't seem to have an interest. Even FOX is not carrying any of this.

The video's contain violence, torture and abuse. So be warned.

Kathianne
06-15-2009, 09:46 AM
It's interesting that the media isn't covering any of this. There's a lot of serious shit going down in iran and nobody seems to have an interest.

http://noiri.blogspot.com/

This blogger has a lot of contacts in iran and is always getting reports from there on what is going on. He manages to get video's that are taken and sneaked out at great risk, yet the media here doesn't seem to have an interest. Even FOX is not carrying any of this.

The video's contain violence, torture and abuse. So be warned.

I don't think much is able to get out, though the bloggers are having more luck. Lots is coming through Tweeter, but can't tell fact from fiction. Some very good reporting going on from http://www.michaeltotten.com/
and http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/

Gaffer
06-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks for those sites. I am always looking for more sources. And your right it's hard to tell fact from fiction. Just pisses me off that our own media isn't digging into this. Of course what do you expect from a government run media.

Kathianne
06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for those sites. I am always looking for more sources. And your right it's hard to tell fact from fiction. Just pisses me off that our own media isn't digging into this. Of course what do you expect from a government run media.

Check out Sullivan, though he's not my favorite he has some interesting stuff there:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104244385

State television quoted Ayatollah Ali Khamenei directing a high-level clerical panel, the Guardian Council, to look into charges by pro-reform candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi, who has said he is the rightful winner of Friday's presidential election.The decision comes after Mousavi wrote a letter appealing to the Guardian Council and met Sunday with Khamenei, who holds almost limitless power over Iranian affairs. Such an election probe by the 12-member council is uncharted territory and it not immediately clear how it would proceed or how long it would take.

Gaffer
06-15-2009, 10:06 AM
The first two you posted wouldn't load for some reason. I'll try them again later.

Interesting thing is mousavi is as much a hard liner as the little asshole. He's one of the founders of hezbollah. He's just not as boisterous and arrogant. He'll continue the same policies, but do so quietly, though he may make life a bit easier for the population.

You will notice his campaign colors are hezbo green.

Kathianne
06-15-2009, 10:10 AM
The first two you posted wouldn't load for some reason. I'll try them again later.

Interesting thing is mousavi is as much a hard liner as the little asshole. He's one of the founders of hezbollah. He's just not as boisterous and arrogant. He'll continue the same policies, but do so quietly, though he may make life a bit easier for the population.

You will notice his campaign colors are hezbo green.

My guess is traffic on both sites. Suddenly a lot of people seem interested.

I don't think the other guy will be much different, could possibly be worse, since he's not the bloviator that Yabadaba is. Would make it easier to ignore what's going on. :coffee:

Gaffer
06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
My guess is traffic on both sites. Suddenly a lot of people seem interested.

I don't think the other guy will be much different, could possibly be worse, since he's not the bloviator that Yabadaba is. Would make it easier to ignore what's going on. :coffee:

My thoughts exactly. He can do a lot more under the radar. And he is a hand picked opponent. The grand mullah is the only one that has a say over there. He's the only real power. The rest are just puppets.

Reading some of the other blogs it's looking like there is going to be an actual civil war in iran. The theocracy might fall and the media will be left with egg on their face if that happens. The riots and demonstrations have been going on for days with no reporting here in the media. As usual the only source of news is the internet.

I would bet you could go to any mall and ask people what they think of the riots and fighting in iran and they wouldn't have a clue of what your talking about.

Gaffer
06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I did finally get through on those sites. They must be really swamped. So much information there. Some posts seem a little panicky, but most seem to have a good handle on things.

Expect to see some similar things in the US come 2010.