PDA

View Full Version : What a Travesty!

Missileman
06-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Stallworth gets 30 days for DUI manslaughter. Our legal system is a bad joke!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?prov=ap&slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&type=lgns

darin
06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
it's not 30 days - it's 30 days plus:

...two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation.

AND -

Stallworth also must undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver’s license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Lyons said after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving such as for employment.

VERY aggressive punishment. LIFETIME driver's license suspension? That's big. Very solid punishment for hitting a guy who ran out into the street...and not being able to stop in time.

If the victim's family agreed, it's not a travesty. It's justice in the minds of those most-hurt by his actions.

Unlike some celebrities, Stallworth took it on the chin - was accountable.

“I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy,” said Stallworth, who was accompanied at the hearing by his parents, siblings and other supporters. “I will bear this burden for the rest of my life.”

Mr. P
06-16-2009, 08:52 PM
What dmp said plus..

a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida, a punishment made possible by his cooperation with investigators and the fervent wish by the victim’s family to put the matter behind them.

Stallworth, 28, also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes

He got his punishment. Unlike OJ...IMO

-Cp
06-16-2009, 09:47 PM
HELL.. WHY CAN'T I GET HIT AND KILLED BY SOMEONE RICH? My family would be SET UP!!

06-16-2009, 10:20 PM
I agree it's a travesty. The man is getting punished above and beyond what he needs.

Id rather serve more time in prison than lose the license for life. Why dont we just cut off his hand while we are at it?

Mr. P
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I agree it's a travesty. The man is getting punished above and beyond what he needs.

Id rather serve more time in prison than lose the license for life. Why dont we just cut off his hand while we are at it?

Torture has many faces..justice just one, and it's blind.

darin
06-17-2009, 07:30 AM
ppl tend to have no sense of justice when the perp is rich. When a rich guy does a crime, he should be thrown into the slammer. When a poor guy does the crime, he needs community outreach programs because he's been victimized by society.

Missileman
06-17-2009, 05:31 PM
it's not 30 days - it's 30 days plus:

AND -

VERY aggressive punishment. LIFETIME driver's license suspension? That's big. Very solid punishment for hitting a guy who ran out into the street...and not being able to stop in time.

If the victim's family agreed, it's not a travesty. It's justice in the minds of those most-hurt by his actions.

Unlike some celebrities, Stallworth took it on the chin - was accountable.

2 years house arrest in a mansion, likely decked out with a pool, gym, game room, etc, where he can entertain himself and whoever he cares to invite over, the freedom to eat what he wants, and keep whatever schedule he wants isn't punishment, it's a vacation.

That he settled a civil wrongful death suit before it was filed should have had no bearing on his penal case. BTW, the person most hurt by his actions is DEAD...wonder what he'd think about a 30-day sentence.

A lifetime driving suspension is an inconvenience, easily overcome by a hired driver which he can easily afford.

ppl tend to have no sense of justice when the perp is rich. When a rich guy does a crime, he should be thrown into the slammer. When a poor guy does the crime, he needs community outreach programs because he's been victimized by society.

I'm a huge fan of mandatory sentences. Convicted of the same crime, suffer the same punishment.

chesswarsnow
06-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Another one of those, *Whos Judging The Judges* issues.
2. One gets life, and another gets life.
3. Whys my life worth crap, and his of great value?
4. Some one might ask.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Mr. P
06-17-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm a huge fan of mandatory sentences. Convicted of the same crime, suffer the same punishment.

But the same crime does not always have the same circumstances, so we have a range of punishment for the same crime. Works for me.

darin
06-17-2009, 10:01 PM
2 years house arrest in a mansion, likely decked out with a pool, gym, game room, etc, where he can entertain himself and whoever he cares to invite over, the freedom to eat what he wants, and keep whatever schedule he wants isn't punishment, it's a vacation.

That he settled a civil wrongful death suit before it was filed should have had no bearing on his penal case. BTW, the person most hurt by his actions is DEAD...wonder what he'd think about a 30-day sentence.

A lifetime driving suspension is an inconvenience, easily overcome by a hired driver which he can easily afford.

you're likely just upset because he's got money he's earned. (shrug).

06-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Im sure the person most huurt by his actions is moving on in the next life.

Missileman
06-18-2009, 06:01 AM
you're likely just upset because he's got money he's earned. (shrug).

Fuck you! I've earned every cent I have too.

But the same crime does not always have the same circumstances, so we have a range of punishment for the same crime. Works for me.

Mitigating circumstances should be used to adjust the charge, then apply the mandatory sentence.

Mr. P
06-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Mitigating circumstances should be used to adjust the charge, then apply the mandatory sentence.

Motive, intent, premeditation are all considered and if found guilty sentence is given accordingly. I think it works well. One size does not fit all.

glockmail
06-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Stallworth gets 30 days for DUI manslaughter. Our legal system is a bad joke!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?prov=ap&slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&type=lgns
We've prosecuted repeat DUI offenders who killed folks with murder in NC. :poke:

darin
06-18-2009, 08:11 AM

so what exactly is your problem with this sentence? Seems you're pissed because you weren't consulted.

Victim's family okay with the verdict? Yup.
The state okay with the verdict? Yup.
Missileman okay with the verdict? No.

(shrug).

06-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Do you know how rare mandatory sentences are applied?

There is a reason most cases dont go to trial. They plead out. If everyone exercised their right to a trial the system would collapse from sheer volume.

Missileman
06-18-2009, 03:38 PM
so what exactly is your problem with this sentence? Seems you're pissed because you weren't consulted.

Victim's family okay with the verdict? Yup.
The state okay with the verdict? Yup.
Missileman okay with the verdict? No.

(shrug).

I wish you'd make up your mind which of your imaginary motivations you're going to apply to me. I've clearly explained why I hold the opinion that the sentence is a joke.

The dead guy never gets to drive again either...or breathe, or enjoy a meal, or spend time with his family, or watch his kids and grandchildren grow up. Thirty days in jail, 2-years vacation, and loss of driving priveleges doesn't come close to a just punishment for taking all that away from someone.

Missileman
06-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Im sure the person most huurt by his actions is moving on in the next life.

Well hell...sounds like you think Stallworth did the guy a favor and deserves a medal.

06-18-2009, 05:46 PM
I wish you'd make up your mind which of your imaginary motivations you're going to apply to me. I've clearly explained why I hold the opinion that the sentence is a joke.

The dead guy never gets to drive again either...or breathe, or enjoy a meal, or spend time with his family, or watch his kids and grandchildren grow up. Thirty days in jail, 2-years vacation, and loss of driving priveleges doesn't come close to a just punishment for taking all that away from someone.

What exactly would you find sufficient? Is there anything short of killing the man that would satisfy your demand for justice? No one's saying it was good that the man died. But we are dealing with an accidental death here. If he tortured, raped and then brutally murdered him, that's one thing. But involuntary manslaughter????

It's bad enough he is going to have the knowledge that his irresponsible actions killed someone on his mind every day for the rest of his life. But if you think House arrest is a vacation, you're dreaming. I don't care how nice your house is. A prison is a prison. And a life time ban on driving? A lifetime ban.

And the dead man will talk, breath, eat, drive, spend time with his grandkids and watch them grow up. No one stays dead.

06-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Well hell...sounds like you think Stallworth did the guy a favor and deserves a medal.

Hardly, but do you honestly think we are going to hold a grudge beyong the grave?

Missileman
06-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Hardly, but do you honestly think we are going to hold a grudge beyong the grave?

Being one who believes there's nothing beyond the grave gives me a different perspective than you on the consequences of Stallworth's actions.

Missileman
06-18-2009, 06:48 PM
What exactly would you find sufficient? Is there anything short of killing the man that would satisfy your demand for justice? No one's saying it was good that the man died. But we are dealing with an accidental death here. If he tortured, raped and then brutally murdered him, that's one thing. But involuntary manslaughter????

It's bad enough he is going to have the knowledge that his irresponsible actions killed someone on his mind every day for the rest of his life. But if you think House arrest is a vacation, you're dreaming. I don't care how nice your house is. A prison is a prison. And a life time ban on driving? A lifetime ban.

I would find a reversal of the jail time and vacation time a more appropriate sentence. Hell, Plaxico Burress only injured HIMSELF and is likely going to serve more jail time than Stallworth who killed another human being.

And compared to 2 years in jail, 2 years house arrest IS a vacation.

And the dead man will talk, breath, eat, drive, spend time with his grandkids and watch them grow up. No one stays dead.

Says you...

Kathianne
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Wow, I'm finding myself getting all excited! Man fight! Bring it!

Mr. P
06-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Wow, I'm finding myself getting all excited! Man fight! Bring it!

Ha! Ya gotta have two men for a man fight. Not one man and a boy. Geeezzzeeee.