PDA

View Full Version : Obama OKs same sex health care benefits

gabosaurus
06-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Just in case any of you guys want to get married. In secret, of course.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090617/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_gay_benefits

Mr. P
06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
One term..if that.

Kathianne
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Hmm, that article appears to have been written or rather published about 2 hours ago. This one from this morning:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0609/Gay_figures_pull_out_of_Biden_fundraiser.html?show all

Follow the $$$:

June 16, 2009
Categories: Same-sex marriage

Gay figures pull out of Biden fundraiser
Two prominent gay figures, activist David Mixner and widely read blogger Andy Towle, have pulled out of a Democratic National Committee fundraiser later this month amid growing calls to confront the administration at what was supposed to be its first large scale opportunity to bring in gay cash.

"I will not attend a fundraiser for the National Democratic Party in Washington next week when the current administration is responsible for these kind of actions," Mixner wrote of a motion to dismiss a challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act that drew a parallel between same-sex marriage to incestuous marriage. "How will they ever take us seriously if we keep forking out money while they harm us. For now on, my money is going to battles within the community such as the fight in Maine or the March on Washington! I am so tired of being told by Democratic operatives to 'suck it up' because so many other profound issues are at stake," Mixner wrote.

"I've had concerns about the lack of movement from the administration on LGBT issues for some time now but I wasn't comfortable attending after that DOMA brief came out," Towle, who writes the widely read Towle Road blog, said in an e-mail.

Prominent gay and lesbian bloggers are also pushing guests at the $1,000-a-plate dinner to turn up the heat on its hosts, out Reps. Barney Frank, Jared Polis, and Tammy Baldwin.

"Please politely contact our out LGBT representatives on the Hill to ask them why they still plan to hold the event in the wake of lack of leadership re: DADT repeal and the horrible DOMA brief and 2) do they see anything problematic about financially supporting a party that runs for cover when our issues come up on the Hill," wrote Pam Spaulding.

darin
06-17-2009, 07:28 AM
how divisive and unfair to opposite-sex couples. :(

gabosaurus
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM
how divisive and unfair to opposite-sex couples. :(
How so?

Trigg
06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Just in case any of you guys want to get married. In secret, of course.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090617/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_gay_benefits

The only problem I have is when gays want to get married. Marriage is between one man and one woman.

Health benefits, civil partnerships, death benefits, etc I don't care if they get all of these things. But leave marriage out of it.

Binky
06-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Why, of course, he does. He's prob'ly got gay rights groups crawling up his backside and putting pressure on him. Now there's a change we didn't have before. :gay:

darin
06-17-2009, 04:16 PM
How so?

think about it? He's extending rights not available to normal people.

What this will do? Situations like this:

say I'm a fed employee and my best friend is sick. Cancer. Okay - cool. I tell my best friend "Billy, why don't you move in with me!" Billy moves in, I claim he's my 'partner' and now YOUR tax dollars are paying for his care. He gets added to my insurance and when he's cured we suddenly 'break up'.

MOST things run by the government, or with govt 'oversight' are breeding ground for fraud.

Oh - and did I mention, how blatantly UNFAIR it is to those in hetero 'partnerships'??

:-/

President Obama showed a lot of bigotry towards hetero couples. He is clearly heterophobic.

Kathianne
06-17-2009, 04:19 PM
think about it? He's extending rights not available to normal people.

What this will do? Situations like this:

say I'm a fed employee and my best friend is sick. Cancer. Okay - cool. I tell my best friend "Billy, why don't you move in with me!" Billy moves in, I claim he's my 'partner' and now YOUR tax dollars are paying for his care. He gets added to my insurance and when he's cured we suddenly 'break up'.

MOST things run by the government, or with govt 'oversight' are breeding ground for fraud.

Oh - and did I mention, how blatantly UNFAIR it is to those in hetero 'partnerships'??

:-/

President Obama showed a lot of bigotry towards hetero couples. He is clearly heterophobic.

Not to mention disingenuous. Lots of links:

http://www.americablog.com/2009/06/white-house-admits-obama-benefits.html

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 17, 2009

White House admits Obama "benefits" speech simply political ploy, plan still being created after it was already announced

by John Aravosis (DC) on 6/17/2009 12:48:00 AM
A rather blockbuster NYT story in tomorrow's paper about Obama's ploy to win back the gays by offering some federal employees some benefits (but not all, including no health coverage).

The White House actually admitted to the NYT that they were offering the benefits to help contain the "growing furor among gay rights groups." How about doing it because it's the right thing to do? How about doing it because you were already planning to do it to help our community, because you recognize us as human beings? We kept being told, fret not, we have a secret plan for your civil rights - now it seems, not so much:

But administration officials said the timing of the announcement was intended to help contain the growing furor among gay rights groups. Several gay donors withdrew their sponsorship of a Democratic National Committee fund-raising event next week, where Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. is scheduled to speak.

Just as bad, it seems they came up with this proposal on the fly. In spite of the fact that for a while they've been hinting that they'd do this, the NYT discovered that the details of the "plan" haven't even been decided, yet the White House is already announcing it publicly.

The breadth and scope of the memorandum to be signed by Mr. Obama was being completed Tuesday evening, said administration officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid upstaging the president’s announcement on Wednesday.

With all due respect, don't our civil rights deserve a bit more attention than some kluge thrown together at the last minute to save a cocktail party?

This is simply more evidence that the White House never had a plan to act on our civil rights, to act on the president's promises (none of which have been fulfilled, or even addressed). They're simply winging it with our rights.

(Pam Spaulding observes that it's "amateur hour" at the White House.)

chesswarsnow
06-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. *Oh there it is, the slippery slope I've always heard about.*
2. *Well America The Beautiful, just got alot uglier.*
3. God have mercy.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

red states rule
06-18-2009, 08:43 AM
When Are Gay Rights Groups 'Far-Left'? When They Criticize Obama

<object width="518" height="419"><param name="movie" value="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=ydaGQuaGnz" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=ydaGQuaGnz" allowfullscreen="true" width="518" height="419" /></object>

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2009/06/18/when-are-gay-rights-groups-far-left-when-they-criticize-obama

Smurfette
06-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I think that anything that Obama can do to change our cultural feelings about gay marriage is good, despite whether the actual details of the changes are positive.

Mr. P
06-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I think that anything that Obama can do to change our cultural feelings about gay marriage is good, despite whether the actual details of the changes are positive.

Yer an idiot Smurf.

Jeff
06-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Yer an idiot Smurf.

LOL, couldn't rep ya, lol

I saw a real cute poodle I would like to marry, lol, wonder if Obama will do something for me :laugh2:

Marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman period!

gabosaurus
06-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Some of you would be lucky to end up with a poodle. :p

red states rule
06-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Gay groups are upset over Obama's lack of supporting their agenda. Why is that?

It is political? Or could it be more then that?

Is Obama worried about the reaction from the Muslim world? Muslims are not a gay friendly group as we well know

gabosaurus
06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
WTF are you talking about? You must be on some really strange drugs.