glockmail
04-09-2007, 09:43 AM
The Boy blasting through powder and trees. :coffee:

glockmail
04-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Good lord - you folk do that on purpose?? :D Y'all don't? :beer:

glockmail
04-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Breckinridge from Keystone. Top of Breck. Arapaho Basin steep run. It's about the views too!

Dilloduck
04-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Y'all don't? :beer:

Great pics--you ALMOST made me pine for the good old days at Keystone.

glockmail
04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Great pics--you ALMOST made me pine for the good old days at Keystone.
Keystone was great, except they made us wait until 8:55 to get on the gondola. What made you quit?

Dilloduck
04-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Keystone was great, except they made us wait until 8:55 to get on the gondola. What made you quit?

Primarily because I moved to Texas from Colorado Springs but spending big bucks to freeze my ass off was getting less appealing too ! Gotta admit it was fun for all those year tho and I survived with zero injuries. Best not push my luck.:laugh2:

glockmail
04-09-2007, 10:14 AM
These are pics from my trip last week out west- my first ever after 35 years of skiing. I had asked for some suggestions about where to go a few months back "at the other board". I remember someone recomending Breckinridge, so whoever that was- thanks!

We stayed in the Town of Breck for the week, skied there 3 days, and for the other two skies Arapaho Basin and Keystone.

The only problem I had was some of the locals were snobby. That is, until we showed 'em how its done! :laugh2:

One guy was bragging how they are "100% powered by wind". My response was that my place was powered by nukes. He asked me if it was turning my skin green. My response: zero emissions and we don't kill birds. :slap:

Lots of people from Europe there as well: Spain, Germany, GB. :salute: We like their Euros spent over here!

glockmail
04-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Primarily because I moved to Texas from Colorado Springs but spending big bucks to freeze my ass off was getting less appealing too ! Gotta admit it was fun for all those year tho and I survived with zero injuries. Best not push my luck.:laugh2: Don't give it up, as it is a life time sport, unlike any other. I know a guy in his 80's who's still a patroller, and he's got two titanium knees.

Dilloduck
04-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Don't give it up, as it is a life time sport, unlike any other. I know a guy in his 80's who's still a patroller, and he's got two titanium knees.

Somehow titanium knees don't make me wanna hop on a lift. :laugh2:

Mr. P
04-09-2007, 10:42 AM
These are pics from my trip last week out west- my first ever after 35 years of skiing. I had asked for some suggestions about where to go a few months back "at the other board". I remember someone recomending Breckinridge, so whoever that was- thanks!

We stayed in the Town of Breck for the week, skied there 3 days, and for the other two skies Arapaho Basin and Keystone.

The only problem I had was some of the locals were snobby. That is, until we showed 'em how its done! :laugh2:

One guy was bragging how they are "100% powered by wind". My response was that my place was powered by nukes. He asked me if it was turning my skin green. My response: zero emissions and we don't kill birds. :slap:

Lots of people from Europe there as well: Spain, Germany, GB. :salute: We like their Euros spent over here!

That was about when you asked about good travel rates too wasn't it?
Did you find any on the site I posted for you by chance?

glockmail
04-09-2007, 11:23 AM
That was about when you asked about good travel rates too wasn't it?
Did you find any on the site I posted for you by chance? I remember forwarding her your suggestion. She did all the arrangements through ski.com. If that was you're suggestion, then thank you, thank you.:cheers2:

glockmail
08-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Here's a low-res shot of my son at ski camp last month, taken by an area photographer. This is a slalom gate, and his position is nearly perfect, very steep angulation on the boards and no spray. The boy makes me proud!

I'm definitely going to order an 8x10! :coffee:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z256/glockmail/sl2.jpg

Sitarro
08-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey Glock,

Did you guys do any of the night skiing at Keystone? I brought a friend from Louisiana up there one night ......she insisted on going skiing. It was 25 below without windchill !!!!! We had a blast. If you can time it for the full moon it is an amazing thing to see. Also the restaurant on top of the third mountain is the ultimate date. The second gondola takes you around the mountain on the west side so if that is timed right you have the sunset over Breckinridge and Copper. The ride back with the full moon tops it off.

When I lived in Denver, there was the noon to moon pass that would let you ski till 10pm. The tourist had lift tickets till 4 and then we had the mountain to ourselves the rest of the night. It was mostly green runs but you stayed in a tuck until your legs started cramping. Many nights you would stand at the top and not see another person on the mountain...... those days are gone now...too bad. Last time I was in that area I saw that they had changed Keystone a lot.... trying to give it a Vail feel.

The kid definitely looks sharp, great form!

glockmail
08-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Sounds like you had a great evening. No we did all our skiing from early morning as soon as they let us on until mid afternoon. We never went on the peak to peak gondola, since they had a sign that said skis might fall off the racks.

Yeah the boy has really progressed. I managed to eek out a NASTAR win against him once last year- on the very last race of the season. This gave me bragging rights all summer but I'm afaid it will be my last hurrah!

chloe
12-13-2009, 09:09 PM
It's time to get all that fancy gear out again and have fun !

glockmail
12-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Been skiing for three weekends now, albeit two of the days were busts due to thin base, but that's what old skis are for. Friday morning was 6 degrees and they made tons of snow. It was the annual race clinic and I made it to "A" team, after getting coached in the morning by Dianne Roffe (http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/ro/diann-roffe-1.html).

chloe
12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Been skiing for three weekends now, albeit two of the days were busts due to thin base, but that's what old skis are for. Friday morning was 6 degrees and they made tons of snow. It was the annual race clinic and I made it to "A" team, after getting coached in the morning by Dianne Roffe (http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/ro/diann-roffe-1.html).

Congrats rich boy ! It's been snowing here alot too, it was 9 degrees last week, I hate the snow.

glockmail
12-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Congrats rich boy ! It's been snowing here alot too, it was 9 degrees last week, I hate the snow. A season pass for the family of four is $1400 when you buy it in July. I bought 1 pair of world GS cup race skis this summer for about $300 (2007, still in the wrapper) and another pair of SL skis for $250 (used). Retail on those would be $1200 and $1000, respectively. I bought new boots this year for $470 from the shop that I race for and those retail for $900. Boots generally last three years and skis 100 full days. The three day clinic was $250 per person.

Yeah its not cheap but keeping two kids high on life rather than looking for a high elsewhere is an excellent investment. As is having a goal to keep this old man in good physical condition for the 8 months of the year when there's no snow.

chloe
12-13-2009, 09:39 PM
A season pass for the family of four is $1400 when you buy it in July. I bought 1 pair of world GS cup race skis this summer for about $300 (2007, still in the wrapper) and another pair of SL skis for $250 (used). Retail on those would be $1200 and $1000, respectively. I bought new boots this year for $470 from the shop that I race for and those retail for $900. Boots generally last three years and skis 100 full days. The three day clinic was $250 per person.

Yeah its not cheap but keeping two kids high on life rather than looking for a high elsewhere is an excellent investment. As is having a goal to keep this old man in good physical condition for the 8 months of the year when there's no snow.

Agreed, if you can afford it why not eh?

glockmail
12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Some folks have $2000 TVs and $100 cable bills. That doesn't get them much in return.

Looks like my investment paid off. My son just got into State for a double major in Chemical Engineering and Nuclear Engineering. His ski buddy got in as well, and together they'll raise the caliber of the ski team by many points.

chloe
12-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Sounds like your son is very successful , your a good role model, nice pics Glock !

glockmail
12-16-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm looking forward to two solid weeks of boards-on-snow. Too bad the wife has to work most of it. :laugh2:

glockmail
01-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Some pics from the blizzard of 2009 up in the mountains:

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/Southernmanpics/P1060873.jpg

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/Southernmanpics/P1060867.jpg

glockmail
01-08-2010, 11:34 AM
More:

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/Southernmanpics/P1060874.jpg

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/Southernmanpics/P1060865.jpg

chloe
01-08-2010, 02:09 PM