PDA

View Full Version : Obama Poll Sees Doubt on Budget and Health Care

red states rule
06-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Boy this is a shocker - the NY Times actually reported on apoll they do not like?

Obama Poll Sees Doubt on Budget and Health Care

A substantial majority of Americans say President Obama has not developed a strategy to deal with the budget deficit, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll, which also found that support for his plans to overhaul health care, rescue the auto industry and close the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, falls well below his job approval ratings.

A distinct gulf exists between Mr. Obama’s overall standing and how some of his key initiatives are viewed, with fewer than half of Americans saying they approve of how he has handled health care and the effort to save General Motors and Chrysler. A majority of people said his policies have had either no effect yet on improving the economy or had made it worse, underscoring how his political strength still rests on faith in his leadership rather than concrete results.

As Mr. Obama finishes his fifth month in office and assumes greater ownership of the problems he inherited, Americans are alarmed by the hundreds of billions of dollars that have been doled out to boost the economy. A majority said the government should instead focus on reducing the federal deficit.

But with a job approval rating of 63 percent, Mr. Obama has the backing of Democrats and independents alike, a standing that many presidents would envy and try to use to build support for their policies. His rating has fallen to 23 percent among Republicans, from 44 percent in February, a sign that bridging the partisan divide may remain an unaccomplished goal.

The poll was conducted after Mr. Obama completed his fourth international trip as president. He received high marks for his focus abroad, with 59 percent of those polled saying they approve of his approach to foreign policy. And after weeks of criticism from former Vice President Dick Cheney and other Republicans, 57 percent say they approve of how Mr. Obama has dealt with the threat of terrorism.

The White House is entering a critical summer with Mr. Obama pledging to push his plans to revamp health care and financial regulation through Congress and Senate hearings scheduled on his first nominee to the Supreme Court. The poll suggested Americans remain patient, even as a strong majority expressed concern that they or someone in their family could lose their jobs in the next year.

“My feeling is that Obama is just throwing money at things, but I don’t see anything being specifically targeted,” Lynn Adams, 62, a Republican from Troy, Mich., said in a follow-up interview. “But I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt because he hasn’t been in office long enough.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/us/politics/18poll.html?_r=2

Kathianne
06-18-2009, 07:07 AM
For several months now the polls have shown the differences between his personal approval ratings and issue ratings. That cognitive dissonance could not hold, eventually people had to decide which was more 'important'. Unsurprisingly the issues are winning out. WSJ also has some on this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124527518023424769.html#mod=testMod

Public Wary of Deficit, Economic Intervention
By LAURA MECKLER

WASHINGTON -- After a fairly smooth opening, President Barack Obama faces new concerns among the American public about the budget deficit and government intervention in the economy as he works to enact ambitious health and energy legislation, a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll finds.

These rising doubts threaten to overshadow the president's personal popularity and his agenda, in what may be a new phase of the Obama presidency.

"The public is really moving from evaluating him as a charismatic and charming leader to his specific handling of the challenges facing the country," says Peter D. Hart, a Democratic pollster who conducts the survey with Republican Bill McInturff. Going forward, he says, Mr. Obama and his allies "are going to have to navigate in pretty choppy waters."

There's good news for the administration, too, including tentative support for Mr. Obama's health-care plan and approval of his nominee for the Supreme Court. The public seems more optimistic about the country's economic future than it did a few weeks earlier, and Americans are still more likely to blame the last administration for the deficit.

But the poll suggests Mr. Obama faces challenges on multiple fronts, including growing concerns about government spending and the bailout of auto companies. A majority of people also disapprove of his decision to close the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Nearly seven in 10 survey respondents said they had concerns about federal interventions into the economy, including Mr. Obama's decision to take an ownership stake in General Motors Corp., limits on executive compensation and the prospect of more government involvement in health care. The negative feeling toward the GM rescue was reflected elsewhere in the survey as well.

A solid majority -- 58% -- said that the president and Congress should focus on keeping the budget deficit down, even if takes longer for the economy to recover....

red states rule
06-18-2009, 07:11 AM
What are Obama's success so far? One successes I see is Obama quadrupled the deficit in 100 days after promising more responsible Government.

On the horizon are steep tax increases and cap and trade

I do hope in 2010 the voters have had enough of the hope and change and toss Dems and RINO's out on their ass

red states rule
06-19-2009, 07:30 AM
I wonder who or why the NY Times changed the headline to their own story?

June 18, 2009
New York Times changes headline on their own poll
Rick Moran

It is not unusual for a newspaper to change a headline on a story from edition to edition. This is true especially if the story has been updated or changed to reflect additional information.

But this New York Times story on the poll they took regarding Obama's handling of the economy is remarkable for the change in headlines from just a few hours ago to now.

When I saw the story this morning on Memeorandum, the headline of a story about a New York Times poll read:

"In Poll, Obama seen as ineffective on the economy."

What does the headline read now?

"Obama poll sees doubt on budget and health care"

The adjective "ineffective" has been dropped as has the broader measurement "economy" in favor of the softer words "doubt" and "budget and health care respectively. The night headline editor probably caught hell for that first hed.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2009/06/new_york_times_changes_headlin.html

emmett
06-19-2009, 08:37 AM
If I hear him quote Lincoln one more time ....I'm going to scream!

Lincoln would not have supported a single issue on barry's agenda. Not one!