PDA

View Full Version : North Korea May Fire Missile Toward Hawaii

Trinity
06-18-2009, 06:39 AM
SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea may fire a long-range ballistic missile toward Hawaii in early July, a Japanese news report said Thursday, as Russia and China urged the regime to return to international disarmament talks on its rogue nuclear program.

The missile, believed to be a Taepodong-2 with a range of up to 4,000 miles (6,500 kilometers), would be launched from North Korea's Dongchang-ni site on the northwestern coast, said the Yomiuri daily, Japan's top-selling newspaper. It cited an analysis by the Japanese Defense Ministry and intelligence gathered by U.S. reconnaissance satellites.

The missile launch could come between July 4 and 8, the paper said.

While the newspaper speculated the Taepodong-2 could fly over Japan and toward Hawaii, it said the missile would not be able to hit Hawaii's main islands, which are about 4,500 miles (7,200 kilometers) from the Korean peninsula.

A spokesman for the Japanese Defense Ministry declined to comment on the report. South Korea's Defense Ministry and the National Intelligence Service -- the country's main spy agency -- said they could not confirm it.

Tension on the divided Korean peninsula has spiked since the North conducted its second nuclear test on May 25 in defiance of repeated international warnings. The regime declared Saturday it would bolster its nuclear programs and threatened war in protest of U.N. sanctions taken for the nuclear test.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/19785851/detail.html

chloe
06-18-2009, 07:55 AM
scary !

glockmail
06-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Luvinit! :lol:

06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
I may be given a million dollars next week. Granted, this scenario is more likely than me getting that kind of money, but Id rather see news stories about what is happening rather than stories guessing what might happen.

Kathianne
06-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Luvinit! :lol:

Why?

Insein
06-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I may be given a million dollars next week. Granted, this scenario is more likely than me getting that kind of money, but Id rather see news stories about what is happening rather than stories guessing what might happen.

I think this is pretty relevant and current information. NK is becoming more hostile and if they specifically say July, they obviously have a source somewhere that grabbed that timeframe. Whether its accurate or not remains to be seen. It wouldnt suprise me if the media was just trying to scare some people into buying newspapers or watching news shows. However, you can't disregard it right away because it hasnt happened.

Kathianne
06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Major media is all over this, both here and Europe. Now is it to pressure NK? If so, not such a brilliant idea as they have shown their willingness to be contrarian. If real, sure hope we have some of those useless missile defense weapons still around.

Gaffer
06-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I would like to see the missile taken out by a missile defense system in Japan. The watch the dark lord try to spin how missile defense isn't necessary. Nothing is going to be done until NK actually attacks somebody. Even then the dark lord will just send him a nasty letter and tell him how outraged he is.

glockmail
06-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Why? Because N Korea is testing the Weak One.

Binky
06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
They'd better be careful not to wake the sleeping giant.

emmett
06-22-2009, 07:03 PM

What sleeping giant? Us (US). My dear, we are led by a man who will no doubt apologize to Kim Jong Il for our rogue news agency (Fox) making such a big deal out of this.

Besides, this all Georgie Bushes fault. Why should Barry be burdened with being responsible for the relationship with Korea. he doesn't need missile defense, he can simply apologize for us and Il will understand.

Mr. P
06-22-2009, 08:09 PM

About your sleeping giant:

We regret to inform you he's not sleeping, he's in a coma.

We expect no CHANGE as there is no HOPE.

Sincerely,

Baldwin, Abraham
Bassett, Richard
Bedford, Gunning, Jr.
Blair, John Virginia
Blount, William
Brearly, David
Broom, Jacob
Butler, Pierce
Carroll, Daniel
Clymer, George
Dayton, Jonathan