PDA

View Full Version : religious slang

chloe
06-19-2009, 09:40 PM
In utah if you were baptized mormon and a member of the church but your not an active member and your naughty you drink coffee & booze or have sex outside of marriage but technically your still a member we call you a "jack mormon" Do other christians or other faiths have certain slang you use for non-active members or members who are straying from the church?

darin
06-19-2009, 10:17 PM
well - I'm pretty used to cliche more than slang...

'Saved' is used frequently, but doesn't quite mean anything, IMO.

They never ask 'from what'? Hell? No, you're only saved at the moment where you'd otherwise be cast there..etc..

chloe
06-19-2009, 10:18 PM
yes I have heard that dmp but not in a long time, I do remember a dude asking me if I was saved. Thanks for your reply.

Mr. P
06-19-2009, 10:19 PM
In utah if you were baptized mormon and a member of the church but your not an active member and your naughty you drink coffee & booze or have sex outside of marriage but technically your still a member we call you a "jack mormon" Do other christians or other faiths have certain slang you use for non-active members or members who are straying from the church?

Down here the Catholics call em Baptist and the Baptist call em Catholics. :lol:

crin63
06-20-2009, 08:48 AM

We call them, "lost, unconverted or unsaved". If someone misses 4 weeks of church in a row and it was not preplanned or illness we have drop them from our membership.

chloe
06-20-2009, 01:08 PM
I wonder if jews, hindus, buddhists or muslims have slang....if not maybe I should start making some up....he he

Tudor
06-21-2009, 01:28 PM
We call them, "lost, unconverted or unsaved". If someone misses 4 weeks of church in a row and it was not preplanned or illness we have drop them from our membership.

That seems a bit extreme, do they have to call in sick to church?

Trigg
06-22-2009, 02:18 PM
The only term I know of is C & E Catholics (Christmas and Easter). Basically saying those are the only times they go to church.