PDA

View Full Version : Couric Says the Job Takes 'Patience'

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Hmmmm....she has been at it for 7 months, and not been able to make the network the No 1 network news program. I think they should find someone els, or make her work out the rest of her contract without pay.....

How dare she think that she is capable of doing the job without consulting with others in the news business, especially bloggers, and others who have never sat in an anchor chair. I bet they could give her some great advice....

Oh...wait a minute, I was getting delirious......

But the irony is killing me......

She thinks she should continue on the current course of action, even though it is not getting the desired results?

For the article: http://news.aol.com/entertainment/tv/articles/_a/couric-says-the-job-takes-patience/20070409070409990001

glockmail
04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Personally I feel sorry for any poor slob who has wasted time by watching her show.

Gaffer
04-09-2007, 04:53 PM
What? She's not an instant success pulling in milllions on millions of viewers? But everything is suppose to happen overnight. The libs, including coric, say that repeatedly.

"Give me just a little more time....."

typomaniac
04-09-2007, 05:09 PM
What? She's not an instant success pulling in milllions on millions of viewers? But everything is suppose to happen overnight. The libs, including coric, say that repeatedly.

"Give me just a little more time....."Weren't the loyal Bushies saying the same thing when they were asking for the troop escalation?
:slap:

Hugh Lincoln
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Yes, it takes a lot of time to consider all possible conservative angles to anything you might cover as a 'journalist,' and then reject them.

04-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Weren't the loyal Bushies saying the same thing when they were asking for the troop escalation?

You don't see a huge difference between running away from a battle and a reporter keeping her job? Well thats odd.

typomaniac
04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
You don't see a huge difference between running away from a battle and a reporter keeping her job? Well thats odd.You have so much contempt for the troops that you demand they fight a battle neither side can win? Well that's odd.

04-10-2007, 01:11 AM
You have so much contempt for the troops that you demand they fight a battle neither side can win? Well that's odd.

Do you have that little respect in the troops to assume they can't win something when you have no idea what they are even doing?

typomaniac
04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
The problem is that they have no idea what they are doing either. It follows automatically that they can't win a battle they have no idea how to fight.

GW in Ohio
04-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Katie rates a 9 on my Babe-O-Meter. I watch her whenever possible.

:dance: :cool: :dance:

Abbey Marie
04-10-2007, 03:10 PM
That's funny. I don't remember Couric suggesting we "have patience" with Debra Norville, before she jumped into her Today Show spot.

Mr. P
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM

:dance: :cool: :dance:

Taste for shit, huh?

Dilloduck
04-10-2007, 04:49 PM
The problem is that they have no idea what they are doing either. It follows automatically that they can't win a battle they have no idea how to fight.

Our troops have no idea what they are doing there ? :fu:

Bullshit.

glockmail
04-10-2007, 04:52 PM

:dance: :cool: :dance: http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/puke.gif

Gaffer
04-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Weren't the loyal Bushies saying the same thing when they were asking for the troop escalation?

hat has nothing to do with this discussion. This is a coric bashing thread not a Bush bashing one.

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Our troops have no idea what they are doing there ? :fu:

Bullshit.When was the last time you saw a general at a Pentagon briefing with a clear, detailed explanation of the goals in Iraq for the next month, 6 months, and year?

You might not like to hear someone ask that, but tough. Listening for the hard questions is part of growing up.

Gaffer
04-11-2007, 01:12 AM
When was the last time you saw a general at a Pentagon briefing with a clear, detailed explanation of the goals in Iraq for the next month, 6 months, and year?

You might not like to hear someone ask that, but tough. Listening for the hard questions is part of growing up.

So when was the last briefing you sat in on?

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I would prefer that the Pentagon folks and the other's making the decisions DO NOT give a clear detailed concise plan to the public (if you don't understand the reason, you may not know the true meaning of responsibility)

The balance of information for public consumption and that of mission goals is a balance that most liberals do not understand, Libertarians understand but want more, and ultra conservatives will always want to keep the cloak of darkness over.

When was the last time you saw a general at a Pentagon briefing with a clear, detailed explanation of the goals in Iraq for the next month, 6 months, and year?

Mr. P
04-11-2007, 10:34 AM
I would prefer that the Pentagon folks and the other's making the decisions DO NOT give a clear detailed concise plan to the public (if you don't understand the reason, you may not know the true meaning of responsibility)

The balance of information for public consumption and that of mission goals is a balance that most liberals do not understand, Libertarians understand but want more, and ultra conservatives will always want to keep the cloak of darkness over.

Exactly why Reagan didn't let Granada out of the bag before it was in progress.

Gunny
04-11-2007, 10:35 AM

That is just dumb. The US military is the best-trained and equipped military in the world. Of course they know how to win a battle.

It isn't a matter of know-how ... it's a matter of "being allowed to."

Mr. P
04-11-2007, 10:39 AM
That is just dumb. The US military is the best-trained and equipped military in the world. Of course they know how to win a battle.

It isn't a matter of know-how ... it's a matter of "being allowed to."

Indeed! I heard a solider on the radio on his way back to Iraq pleading to be allowed to do the job. I'll post the audio when I find it.

glockmail
04-11-2007, 11:12 AM

It isn't a matter of know-how ... it's a matter of "being allowed to." Agreed. Let them do what they are trained to do, keep them supported and your mouths shut.

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 11:15 AM

It isn't a matter of know-how ... it's a matter of "being allowed to."Is the US military trained to stop another country's civil war? I'm guessing no.

Are they "not being allowed" to enforce a cease-fire in the Iraqi civil war?

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 11:16 AM
So when was the last briefing you sat in on?They have 'em on C-SPAN all the time. Damn liberal media... :D

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 11:17 AM
I would prefer that the Pentagon folks and the other's making the decisions DO NOT give a clear detailed concise plan to the public (if you don't understand the reason, you may not know the true meaning of responsibility)I'm not implying that the brass has to say everything. Only enough to give the American people a big-picture idea of what they're trying to do.

04-11-2007, 12:14 PM

Do you honestly expect any military personel to explain in clear details to the world our plans to defeat the enemy? Don't you think that it might be alittle stupid to announce the details of our plans to the general population which includes the enemies we are trying to defeat.

If you were playing a game of poker and had a plan to defeat your opponents would you explain your plan to everyone at the table and show them all your cards? And would you expect to win if you did so?

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Do you honestly expect any military personel to explain in clear details to the world our plans to defeat the enemy?Read post #25.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-11-2007, 12:34 PM
And this conversation has what to do with Katie Couric?

Gunny
04-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Is the US military trained to stop another country's civil war? I'm guessing no.

Are they "not being allowed" to enforce a cease-fire in the Iraqi civil war?

Fighting a war is fighting a war, "civil" or no. You identify the enemy and blow his ass nack to his ancestors. Simple process. Works like a charm.

The US military is currently being used as cops. An exposed, defensive role. Not at all what a military force is designed to do. Militaries kill people, break shit and take things. Turn our military loose in THAT role and there'd be quite a difference in the conduct of the so-called war.

But then, that offends your liberal sensibilities, does it not?

Gunny
04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
And this conversation has what to do with Katie Couric?

Just proves the point of the initial post. She can't even keep a messageboard audience long.:laugh2:

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Fighting a war is fighting a war, "civil" or no. You identify the enemy and blow his ass nack to his ancestors. Simple process. Works like a charm.

The US military is currently being used as cops. An exposed, defensive role. Not at all what a military force is designed to do. Militaries kill people, break shit and take things. Turn our military loose in THAT role and there'd be quite a difference in the conduct of the so-called war.

But then, that offends your liberal sensibilities, does it not?Not really. Problem is, neither you nor your buds in uniform have the first clue about how to identify the enemies in what's left of Iraq. But you don't dare admit that, because then the whole policy of this new Congress starts to make sense.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Not really. Problem is, neither you nor your buds in uniform have the first clue about how to identify the enemies in what's left of Iraq. But you don't dare admit that, because then the whole policy of this new Congress starts to make sense.

Nor could you or your buddies identify those that seek to sever your noggin from your shoulders....and you will give them an axe to do it, as well.

Identifying a militia without uniforms is next to impossible. Do you care to point out solutions that are workable, or just offer your Monday morning quarterback opinions that are about as useless as teats on a bull.

glockmail
04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Not really. Problem is, neither you nor your buds in uniform have the first clue about how to identify the enemies in what's left of Iraq. .... Bullshit. They are the ones shooting at us. Psych-ops to root them out. We have thousands of assets in the field over there. Kill one and 12 of his brothers will identify themselves, shoot them and so on. Its not rocket science.

Gunny
04-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Not really. Problem is, neither you nor your buds in uniform have the first clue about how to identify the enemies in what's left of Iraq. But you don't dare admit that, because then the whole policy of this new Congress starts to make sense.

Identifying the enemy for a military force is quite simple. Anyone carrying a weapon that ain't "us," is "them."

Let's don't try to confuse the issue with politicians and their agendas. I was speaking specifically military, and that is the context in which I read your questions and answered.

Politicians could fuck up a road block and they have no place dictating military tactics.

And this Congress is no better than the last. In fact, it's worse. Giving advance notice to the enemy of exactly when you are going to turn the battlefield over to him defies every rule of strategy and tactics ever written.

stephanie
04-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Just proves the point of the initial post. She can't even keep a messageboard audience long.:laugh2:

:laugh2:

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Identifying a militia without uniforms is next to impossible. Do you care to point out solutions that are workable, or just offer your Monday morning quarterback opinions that are about as useless as teats on a bull.Do you want a solution, Marine?

I said: "Do you want a solution, Marine?!"

Abbey Marie
04-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Identifying the enemy for a military force is quite simple. Anyone carrying a weapon that ain't "us," is "them."
Giving advance notice to the enemy of exactly when you are going to turn the battlefield over to him defies every rule of strategy and tactics ever written.

See, this is why you all need to leave military ops to the military, and stick to what you know. Gunny isn't even over there, and it's obvious he knows what he is talking about.

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
See, this is why you all need to leave military ops to the military, and stick to what you know. Gunny isn't even over there, and it's obvious he knows what he is talking about.Because he uses a patch for an avatar and claims to be a veteran? Any 15-year-old could do both those things.

Abbey Marie
04-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Because he uses a patch for an avatar and claims to be a veteran? Any 15-year-old could do both those things.

Oh, this should be good...

I think I'll bring out the cart for this one...

http://www.homearcadecorp.com/popcorn8.jpg

lily
04-11-2007, 04:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070410/ap_en_tv/tv_couric_plagiarism_1

NEW YORK - A CBS News producer was fired and the network apologized after a Katie Couric video essay on libraries was found to be plagiarized from The Wall Street Journal.

The essay was removed from the CBS Web site and an editor's note was posted saying the item should have credited Jeffrey Zaslow of the Journal, the network said Tuesday.

The essays are carried regularly on "Couric & Co.," the anchor's blog on the CBS News Web site. Couric and producers meet once a week to decide on topics and the producers write them for Couric to read on camera.

An editor for The Wall Street Journal called CBS News to point out the similarities of the April 4 notebook item to Zaslow's article, headlined "Of the Places You'll Go, Is the Library Still One of Them?" The pieces talk about how libraries are seen differently by children from their parents.

"We were horrified," CBS News spokeswoman Sandra Genelius said. "It was almost verbatim."

CBS would not identify the producer fired for the transgression.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-11-2007, 05:00 PM

I honestly don't think it is worth the effort......typoidiot has already shown enough ignorance to fill several threads when it comes to military knowledge and sensibility.

Oh yeah....TYPO....how about your solution....and the ramifications of your solution would be an interesting read....I will start a new topic for you, if you'd like.....

This thread is about Katie, no patience, Couric. (I personally think she is perky....but annoying as hell....)

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
I honestly don't think it is worth the effort......typoidiot has already shown enough ignorance to fill several threads when it comes to military knowledge and sensibility.

Oh yeah....TYPO....how about your solution....and the ramifications of your solution would be an interesting read....I will start a new topic for you, if you'd like.....

This thread is about Katie, no patience, Couric. (I personally think she is perky....but annoying as hell....)Yeah, start one: but first drop and give me 40 for not calling me "Sir." :slap:

Gunny
04-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Because he uses a patch for an avatar and claims to be a veteran? Any 15-year-old could do both those things.

True enough. Now please be so kind as to explain on what grounds you wish to question my integrity and 20 years service in the Corps.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, start one: but first drop and give me 40 for not calling me "Sir." :slap:

You haven't earned it, as far as I am concerned.

Mr. P
04-11-2007, 05:23 PM

I'm gonna buy one of those someday! I love the popcorn they make..!!
Cardiac city I know, but screw it, it tastes GREAT!

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
True enough. Now please be so kind as to explain on what grounds you wish to question my integrity and 20 years service in the Corps.Paranoid Pete seems to have missed the point, here.

I was asking Abbey why she thinks you are necessarily so much more knowledgeable about military strategy and policy issues than anyone else on this board. (Okay, I'll give you Glockmail, but other than that...)

Gunny
04-11-2007, 05:31 PM

I see. Talk shit and run like Hell.

That "patch" is my rank, and earned every stripe the hard way, something you would probably not understand being on the side of being spoonfed cradle to grave.

Rest assured I was not out there serving this Nation to protect the likes of you. You should be thankful for those folks who ARE deserving that you and your ilk hide out in the midst of.

Pussies like you leach off the work the strong have done to build this Nation, and hide out behind whatever laws you can twist to suit your pansy-ass causes. And it's people like you that get into the middle of a war and want to chunk in the towel when the going gets a little rough and it suddenly dawns on you that wars cost things.

So you can take your pantywaist, maggot-brained, loser attitude and stupid comments and shove them clean up your ass until they show when you smile.

Fucktard.

Gunny
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Paranoid Pete seems to have missed the point, here.

I was asking Abbey why she thinks you are necessarily so much more knowledgeable about military strategy and policy issues than anyone else on this board. (Okay, I'll give you Glockmail, but other than that...)

If you have even a modicum of common sense and logic, and look at what I posted, it is strategically and tactically sound. I did not state I knew more than every other vet on this board. I may know more than some, and less than others.

I suggest if you want to know why Abbey holds the opinion she does, ask her without insulting me.

Oh, and paranoia not required. I am who I am. You can believe what you will.

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I see. Talk shit and run like Hell.

That "patch" is my rank, and earned every stripe the hard way, something you would probably not understand being on the side of being spoonfed cradle to grave.

...it's people like you that get into the middle of a war and want to chunk in the towel when the going gets a little rough and it suddenly dawns on you that wars cost things.Hold that thought: I'm going to get your Commander in Chief. :finger3: :finger3: :finger3:

Mr. P
04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Hold that thought: I'm going to get your Commander in Chief. :finger3: :finger3: :finger3:

We have a few children here, how old are you kid?

Yurt
04-11-2007, 08:03 PM
That's funny. I don't remember Couric suggesting we "have patience" with Debra Norville, before she jumped into her Today Show spot.

:lmao:

For that matter, I don't remember Debra Norville asking for patience either....

Yurt
04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Hold that thought: I'm going to get your Commander in Chief. :finger3: :finger3: :finger3:

Ok, I take it all back, you are not a bigot, you just are a little slow when it comes to expressing yourself. You have a "special" "talent". Yeah, thats it. Its ok :huddle: , group hug now.

There, there, feel better?

yours truly,

Yurt

:finger3: :finger3: :finger3:

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
We have a few children here, how old are you kid?Young enough not to give a rat's patooty about what some old fart thinks. :laugh2:

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Ok, I take it all back, you are not a bigot, you just are a little slow when it comes to expressing yourself. You have a "special" "talent". Yeah, thats it. Its ok :huddle: , group hug now.

There, there, feel better?

yours truly,

Yurt

:finger3: :finger3: :finger3:"Attack the messenger. Classic. Expected."
--our resident theologian, glockmail

Abbey Marie
04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Paranoid Pete seems to have missed the point, here.

Ok, for the sake of clarity, I'll bite.

This is the second board I've joined where Gunny was a member. I've been reading his prolific posts for about two years, and there are few people I've met on any message board whom I trust to speak the truth as much as I do Gunny. If he says he did something, or knows something, he did and does.

And if you were around longer, you would have known that his knowledge of 'things military' speaks for itself.