PDA

View Full Version : Shots From My Neighbor's Yard

Sitarro
06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Slowly trying to get my new camera dialed in. It's a Nikon D300 with a 18-200 VR Nikkor lens.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv299/Sitarro2009/55555/8x10-My-First-Hibiscus6086.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv299/Sitarro2009/55555/8x10-Debbies-hibiscus089.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv299/Sitarro2009/55555/lea6093.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv299/Sitarro2009/55555/lillies6099.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv299/Sitarro2009/55555/Orchids6094.jpg

stephanie
06-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Those were so good, I wanted to smell them..

I looooove flowers..great job:cheers2:

Sitarro
06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Those were so good, I wanted to smell them..

I looooove flowers..great job:cheers2:

Thanks Steph, I've been meaning to write to you about your Mom, my deepest sympathies. I lost mine on Palm Sunday, it was unbearably hard but a bit of a relief, she had lived a very long, hard life and I didn't want to see her suffer. I'll write more soon, there were some strange things that happened. I started shooting flowers for her, she loved them.

stephanie
06-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks Steph, I've been meaning to write to you about your Mom, my deepest sympathies. I lost mine on Palm Sunday, it was unbearably hard but a bit of a relief, she had lived a very long, hard life and I didn't want to see her suffer. I'll write more soon, there were some strange things that happened. I started shooting flowers for her, she loved them.

thank you dear, I'm also sorry about your mom, I didn't know..
Love the flower pictures, keep up the good work.

crin63
06-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Silly me, I was thinking gunfire. We had a home invasion and hostage situation down the street last night.

The pictures are awesome. I love taking pictures of plants and wildlife, they are so much easier than people.

Sitarro
06-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Silly me, I was thinking gunfire. We had a home invasion and hostage situation down the street last night.

The pictures are awesome. I love taking pictures of plants and wildlife, they are so much easier than people.

People are hard to shoot, they always want to pose in one way or another. The standard shot at any event is someone with a drink holding it at the camera, that's why I've always hated shooting weddings, they are the worst...... unless I'm not the official photographer, then you can just sneak around and get more candid shots. That's what I give friends for their wedding present, a bunch of shots of their friends and family at the reception being themselves. Most like those more than the posed stuff but yet they can't get away from those, they feel a need to document it in a very traditional way. I shot my Nephews wedding for him and his fiancee gave me a list of over 150 shots she had to have. I shot 800, many were really good but there was one on the list I didn't get, her and her Dad alone while she was getting ready. I had one with her and both parents but the one with just her father was on the list. My brother grabbed the one of her 2 parents and photoshopped her Mother out and told her we had found it, she was very pleased...... I feel if you get one really good shot that you want to bow up for your wall, great.:laugh2:

Flowers are so colorful and complex, I started shooting them so that I could make homemade cards for my Mother and other females in my life. I found that I really like it so I tend to shoot a lot of them. I will probably buy a dedicated macro lens, these were shot with my 18-200. It does allow me to focus pretty close though, still trying to get used to it.

Abbey Marie
06-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Gorgeous pics!!!

I have a Nikon SLR camera that takes a couple of pictures, then just stops.
I was told the battery is fine. I have it set on Autofocus (sorry!). Any ideas what could be wrong?

glockmail
06-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Kodachrome had its final manufacturing run.

darin
06-23-2009, 09:48 PM
wow - can't tell for SURE on this Laptop monitor - but those look VERY sharp. Congrats on the new purchase! Great products in the hands of a capable photog = great results. :)

crin63
06-24-2009, 08:42 AM
People are hard to shoot, they always want to pose in one way or another. The standard shot at any event is someone with a drink holding it at the camera, that's why I've always hated shooting weddings, they are the worst...... unless I'm not the official photographer, then you can just sneak around and get more candid shots. That's what I give friends for their wedding present, a bunch of shots of their friends and family at the reception being themselves. Most like those more than the posed stuff but yet they can't get away from those, they feel a need to document it in a very traditional way. I shot my Nephews wedding for him and his fiancee gave me a list of over 150 shots she had to have. I shot 800, many were really good but there was one on the list I didn't get, her and her Dad alone while she was getting ready. I had one with her and both parents but the one with just her father was on the list. My brother grabbed the one of her 2 parents and photoshopped her Mother out and told her we had found it, she was very pleased...... I feel if you get one really good shot that you want to bow up for your wall, great.:laugh2:

Flowers are so colorful and complex, I started shooting them so that I could make homemade cards for my Mother and other females in my life. I found that I really like it so I tend to shoot a lot of them. I will probably buy a dedicated macro lens, these were shot with my 18-200. It does allow me to focus pretty close though, still trying to get used to it.

I just bought a D300 Monday to replace my D80. I love my 18-200, but I really would like some better glass. I'm thinking about getting a 70-200 and a 12-24 but good night they are expensive. I'm going to be in Nevada next week and hope to take allot of pictures. Tahoe at Sunset should be nice.

Sitarro
07-02-2009, 03:00 AM
Gorgeous pics!!!

I have a Nikon SLR camera that takes a couple of pictures, then just stops.
I was told the battery is fine. I have it set on Autofocus (sorry!). Any ideas what could be wrong?

Have you tried a different card? I had some problems with some shots that were screwing up and changed out the card, haven't had the same problems since. It was a cheap 4 gig card that came with the camera when my brother ordered it, I replaced it with a 1 gig Lexar Professional 133x. Just ordered a Hoodman Raw 300x 3 gig, made in America and lifetime warranty, I'll let you know how it goes. I have also heard that you should always use the Nikon batteries, I've read about all sorts of problems from using third party batteries, at least with the D90s and D300s.

Sitarro
07-02-2009, 03:16 AM
I just bought a D300 Monday to replace my D80. I love my 18-200, but I really would like some better glass. I'm thinking about getting a 70-200 and a 12-24 but good night they are expensive. I'm going to be in Nevada next week and hope to take allot of pictures. Tahoe at Sunset should be nice.

Quite a big difference from the D80 isn't it, just in weight alone? I really like that 18-200 too, very versatile.

Check out this site nikonia.com. They will let you try it out for a month I think but I went ahead and joined for 25 bucks for the year. It has 100s of thousands of members from around the world using Nikons, lot of great information. Some incredible shots in the galleries too. There is a D300 forum.

My brother has that 70-200 lens, the 2.8 is pretty sweet. I used it to shoot a wedding last summer in a cathedral with low light, it worked very well. It is quite expensive but nowhere near the cost of their 200-400, that thing is around 6 grand!:eek: Would love to have one though.

If you're in Tahoe you'll be close to Yosemite...... I love Yosemite! Should be a lot of fun. Death Valley is pretty amazing too, a couple of hourss from Vegas. I believe I posted some shots from there from a trip last February.... big sky landscapes for sure.

I did get a book by a guy that helped found Nikonia on the D300, a lot more fun to read than the owners manual. It's called "Mastering The Nikon D300" by Darrell Young. I ordered it from Amazon and got it for 26 bucks I think..... definitely recommend it.

Abbey Marie
07-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Have you tried a different card? I had some problems with some shots that were screwing up and changed out the card, haven't had the same problems since. It was a cheap 4 gig card that came with the camera when my brother ordered it, I replaced it with a 1 gig Lexar Professional 133x. Just ordered a Hoodman Raw 300x 3 gig, made in America and lifetime warranty, I'll let you know how it goes. I have also heard that you should always use the Nikon batteries, I've read about all sorts of problems from using third party batteries, at least with the D90s and D300s.

Thanks! I will check out those two possibilties.